User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been a Ford believer since I purchased my first new diesel in 2002. Last year for the 7.3 PS F-250. It was a beast. In 2011 new F-250 6.7 PS. In 2017 new F-250 6.7 PS. And today new 2020 F-350 PS DRW with 6.7 PS. They were all beasts but do prefer my 2020 DRW. 475 HP with 1095 lbs torque. Just my take. Good luck

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also need to seriously consider getting a 4WD pickup. Even if you decide to not boondock, you're going to find places where you're driving on wet grass or even mud to get into your camping spot. The last thing you really want is to get hung up with the trailer. I admire your courage in traveling with 3 shepherds, we have 1 that can keep things interesting! Are you planning on going with a crew cab so they can ride inside with you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my were all four wheel drive

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome!

Like you, my DW & I are 1st time RV'ers and recently retired too. We lived in the PNW and due to a job job layoff, we decided to move back home to Florida. We decided we wanted to see the country on the way home so our search began. We got plenty of advice from folks on sites such as this, as well as family & friends.

My sister suggested something small, like the small 22 footer they had - but we KNEW we wanted to be comfortable or we certainly weren't;t going to enjoy ourselves.nTheirs also had a wet bath, which they rarely use - they use the Park showers. We're not into that, unless its an emergency. We ended up with a GD Imagine 2670MK and very happy with it. As for the tow vehicle, I wanted to plan on the next step, in case we really enjoyed this camping stuff, and wanted to upgrade the TT. So I chose the Ram 3500 and love it too!! Its overkill for this rig, but I wont;t need to upgrade if we decide to go bigger.

We spent 2-1/2 months on our journey and loved it!! I learned a lot but still avoid traveling on windy days. As luck woukld have it - we arrived in FL in October. We are remodeling our sticks and bricks, which we had been renting out. Now we're into our 3rd month of a gut job to the house and we've been living in the trailer since October. The 2670MK has been comfortable, and we're REALLY glad we didn't listen to my sister!!

We are kicking around the idea of a 5th wheel. But we'll wait till we get back into our house and enjoy that for a while till we get the itch to travel again. DW wants to go to Maine, I want to go to the Yosemite and everything in between. I guess we'll have some time to decide. Good luck with your choice!!
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hkmurray920 View Post
    My husband and I are looking to get our first travel trailer and truck, and are finding ourselves OVERWHELMED by all the options, information and advice we're finding (or not finding). We would love to get some straightforward guidance from folks who have done this before.

Our family consists of my husband and I + 3 German Shepherds. That's about 650 pounds in passengers alone. We're looking at the Transcend Xplor 240ML (UVW 6265lbs, Hitch 598lbs, GVWR 7495lbs, length 29'9") or the Transcend Xplor 220RB (UVW 5389lbs, Hitch 510lbs, GVWR 6995lbs, length 26'10"). Those are manufacturer specs, so I understand those weights are give or take a few pounds depending on customizations, add-ons, etc. I figure we'll be traveling with bikes, dog cages/gear, all of our human junk, and potentially a generator/firewood/extra propane if we want to boondock. Also, I overpack everywhere we go For our first few trips, I imagine we'll be staying relatively local (we live in SoCal) but eventually want to travel farther. At this point, almost nothing is out of the question, until we figure out how/where we do and don't like to travel.

We've been looking at RAM trucks to tow either one of these trailers and are debating whether or not we need to get a 1500 or 2500. The 1500's claim they have tow capacity of 10,000lbs no problem, and people I know keep telling me the half ton truck should be plenty. In the tow calculators I've found, we're always over payload in a 1500. Does that matter? What does it mean for tow performance / wear & tear on the truck? Is a 1500 good enough, or do we need to get the 2500? Should we get a gas or diesel truck? Does fuel type matter for towing performance? Do we need any of the extra/upgradeable features like a larger axle ratio, air suspension, engine cooling, anti-spin differential, etc.? What does the weight distribution hitch do (distribute weight, yes, but what does that MEAN?)

Does anyone have opinions on either of the trailers, be it "the models you're looking at are missing XX feature that you MUST have" or "as a newbie, don't get anything over XX feet".

Any advice or words of wisdom you can provide is much appreciated. Thank you <3
    2500 gas or 3500 diesel. I personally vote for 3500 diesel if you can afford it. Before you buy ANYTHING, go to Towingplanner.com and learn about weights, payload, etc. It will save you a lot of money and frustration in the long run. BTW, similarly equipped 2500 and 3500 trucks are essentially the same price. Good luck and have fun!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2500 at least. I have a ram 1500 (11300 towing) and an imagine 2670mk, 7070# on the sticker. My wife and I and two 60-70# dogs. I have no problem towing but gvw of the truck was maxed when i weighed recently and that is without my generator in the bed or having the fresh water tank full. Tongue weight was 12.5%.

I'll be pulling some things out and moving them to the rear of the rig this weekend. I still have room for the water in the rv and still be under its gvw but it will add to the tongue weight. I think I can get under where i need to be but the generator will be the kicker.

We were between the 2600RB and the 2670MK, the RB is about 500 plus # lighter which may make all the difference.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 221RB and currently tow with a Ram 1500. I am currently on a trip from Illinois to Florida. While the 1500 is OK I was not satisfied pulling the hills through Nashville and Alabama. I plan on upgrading to a Ram 2500 diesel as soon as I get back. I plan on spending a lot of time out west in the Rockies. Below are actual Cat Scale weights with the camper and truck loaded. It is just my wife and I so no large dogs.
    TV is a 2019 Ram 1500 DT with a 10,000#Equalizer hitch:
    With bars engaged
    Steer axle. 3320
    Drive axle. 3520
    Trailer axle. 5960
    With bars off
    Steer axle. 3060
    Drive axle. 3920
    Trailer axle. 5820
    Truck only
    Steer axle. 3380
    Drive axle 2820

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palm22 View Post
    I have the 221RB and currently tow with a Ram 1500. I am currently on a trip from Illinois to Florida. While the 1500 is OK I was not satisfied pulling the hills through Nashville and Alabama. I plan on upgrading to a Ram 2500 diesel as soon as I get back. I plan on spending a lot of time out west in the Rockies. Below are actual Cat Scale weights with the camper and truck loaded. It is just my wife and I so no large dogs.
    TV is a 2019 Ram 1500 DT with a 10,000#Equalizer hitch:
    With bars engaged
    Steer axle. 3320
    Drive axle. 3520
    Trailer axle. 5960
    With bars off
    Steer axle. 3060
    Drive axle. 3920
    Trailer axle. 5820
    Truck only
    Steer axle. 3380
    Drive axle 2820
    That gives you a tongue weight of 780 lbs at 11.8% Camper weighs 6600 lbs.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiejack75 View Post
    That gives you a tongue weight of 780 lbs at 11.8% Camper weighs 6600 lbs.
    TW is 1100. Distributed TW is 700

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    TW is 1100. Distributed TW is 700