Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV/Truck newbies here and need some advice.

My husband and I are looking to get our first travel trailer and truck, and are finding ourselves OVERWHELMED by all the options, information and advice we're finding (or not finding). We would love to get some straightforward guidance from folks who have done this before.

Our family consists of my husband and I + 3 German Shepherds. That's about 650 pounds in passengers alone. We're looking at the Transcend Xplor 240ML (UVW 6265lbs, Hitch 598lbs, GVWR 7495lbs, length 29'9") or the Transcend Xplor 220RB (UVW 5389lbs, Hitch 510lbs, GVWR 6995lbs, length 26'10"). Those are manufacturer specs, so I understand those weights are give or take a few pounds depending on customizations, add-ons, etc. I figure we'll be traveling with bikes, dog cages/gear, all of our human junk, and potentially a generator/firewood/extra propane if we want to boondock. Also, I overpack everywhere we go For our first few trips, I imagine we'll be staying relatively local (we live in SoCal) but eventually want to travel farther. At this point, almost nothing is out of the question, until we figure out how/where we do and don't like to travel.

We've been looking at RAM trucks to tow either one of these trailers and are debating whether or not we need to get a 1500 or 2500. The 1500's claim they have tow capacity of 10,000lbs no problem, and people I know keep telling me the half ton truck should be plenty. In the tow calculators I've found, we're always over payload in a 1500. Does that matter? What does it mean for tow performance / wear & tear on the truck? Is a 1500 good enough, or do we need to get the 2500? Should we get a gas or diesel truck? Does fuel type matter for towing performance? Do we need any of the extra/upgradeable features like a larger axle ratio, air suspension, engine cooling, anti-spin differential, etc.? What does the weight distribution hitch do (distribute weight, yes, but what does that MEAN?)

Does anyone have opinions on either of the trailers, be it "the models you're looking at are missing XX feature that you MUST have" or "as a newbie, don't get anything over XX feet".

Any advice or words of wisdom you can provide is much appreciated. Thank you <3

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV/Truck newbies here and need some advice.

You should get a 2500. No question
    Gas would be fine

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 02-17-2021 at 02:36 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don’t like the 240ML because of the rear kitchen
    I think many struggle to get weight on the tongue since there is so much storage behind the axles
    That can lead to sway issues

I have no experience with this but have seen threads about them

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @NB Canada Thank you for all your answers!

What about the rear kitchen don't you like?

What do you mean by "I think many struggle to get weight on the tongue since there is so much storage behind the axles"?
    Last edited by hkmurray920; 02-17-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hkmurray920 View Post
    @NB Canada Thank you for all your answers!

What about the rear kitchen don't you like?

What do you mean by "I think many struggle to get weight on the tongue since there is so much storage behind the axles"?
    Because of the pantry and kitchen cabinets are behind the axles so it takes weight off of the front

Some of your heaviest items are in your kitchen

Not saying this is the rule but others have had bad sway because of it

You want a lot of weight on the front. Not the rear

Tongue weight for these should try to be over 750

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hkmurray920 View Post
    Welcome to the group. It is a great place for information and a great group of people. Please keep asking questions. This is my first trailer (see my signature below), and I have learned a great deal of information from the group here.

For a bumper pull (aka tag trailer) you want between 10% and 15% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. If you go to light, it tends to lead to trailer sway (oscillation left to right and back). This can lead lead to loosing control of the truck and trailer. Many factors play into this (speed, wheel base, etc.) but the 10~15% will generally keep you in a safe (and comfortable) towing area.

You also asked about weight distributing hitches (WDH). There are many brands and types, but the all work to distribute some of the tongue weight to the front truck and the trailer tires. This is used to keep the back of the truck/trailer tongue from sagging/being low. Ideally you want both the truck and trailer to be level when towing. Many WDH also include some type of sway control device. Note: The preferred 10~15% total trailer weight on the tongue, would be calculated/measured without the weight distribution feature engaged.

One last thing (for now ), most people will use the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) for the trailer for weigh calculations. This is the maximum the trailer should weigh. The actual weight will depend on how you load it (what you take with you - including water, which at 8#/gallon is heavy). My point/caution is the Unloaded Vehicle Weight(UVW) is for an empty trailer as it came off the production line. A trailer, ready to use, will never be this light. Similarly with weight rating (capacity) on the truck. The factory (Ford, Chev, RAM, etc.) published specs are maximum values for a stripped (no options) truck with possibly special options. Your best source of actual capacity (towing and payload) are to ask here or look at the Department of Transportation (DOT) weight stickers on the drivers door jam of trucks similar to what you are considering purchasing. A diesel engine will weigh around 800# and use up about the same amount payload capacity.

Lots to consider. Take your time and ask questions. Only you can decide what is right for you, but we can try and help you make the best decision the first time (search for "two truck club" in search box above right of every page).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A weight distribution hitch takes weight off of the rear axle of the truck and transfers it to the front axle of the truck and also to the axles of the trailer
    A quality wdh will also keep a properly loaded trailer from swaying

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @hkmurray920 after reading what you plan to take plus passenger weights including dogs and hitch weight for either trailer (13% of trailer GVWR), I agree with needing a 2500.

We have a XLS 22mle that looks similar to the 240ML except a few ft shorter with rear kitchen and we have not had any issues with tongue weight being too light.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    @hkmurray920 after reading what you plan to take plus passenger weights including dogs and hitch weight for either trailer (13% of trailer GVWR), I agree with needing a 2500.

We have a XLS 22mle that looks similar to the 240ML except a few ft shorter with rear kitchen and we have not had any issues with tongue weight being too light.
    We have the 22MLE as well and no issues with not having enough tongue weight. The only outside storage you have is the pass through on the tongue...so weight is not an issue
    Roger & Debbie
    2020 XLE 22 MLE
    2021 Chevy 1500 LTZ 4x4
    Crew Cab with, 6.2L V8 With HD Tow Pkg

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Refclown View Post
    We have the 22MLE as well and no issues with not having enough tongue weight. The only outside storage you have is the pass through on the tongue...so weight is not an issue
    Let’s see here :
    In our pass through we have three 65 lb Oasis Firefly carbon foam AGM, a 45 lb Victron Multiplus inverter charger, about 40 ft of 4 gauge wire at 30 lbs, . And 3-4 normal bins with water supplies, hoses, valves filters, surge protector , 2-25 ft 30 am cords at 30 lbs apiece plus lots of electrical dog bones, adapters, chocks, wheel chocks, power drill and driver plus 4- 6 amp 20 volt batteries and charger. 50 lbs of tools. A Magma grill, a folding table and chairs, a 9x9 rug. Easily 450 to 500 lbs and most is required.

On top are 2 45 lb 190 solar panels. 3 20 lb propane tanks. Spare tire. None of this accounts for inside supplies . None of this counts in the 52 gallons of water when we boondock.

It’s easy to have lots of lb after the hitch. Very few people I see have empty pass through#
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast