Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furnace stopped working

Picked up trailer 4 months ago and furnace worked great. Started having problems 2 days ago.
    1) Furnace came on but switched off before it reached temperature.
    2) Reset the furnace by switching to off on thermostat and waited 5 mins and switched to heat again.
    3) Furnace came on but switched off before it reached temperature.
    4) Repeated this cycle several times
    5) Yesterday morning opened furnace access panel outside to check wiring and sail. I could not see and loose connections or obstructions and sail was very clean. Sail switch operated when pressed
    6) Furnace worked again.
    7) Left the trailer for the afternoon, upon return blower worked but furnace did not come on.
    8) Reset the furnace by switching to off on thermostat and waited 5 mins and switched to heat.
    9) Furnace worked again.
    10) Last night furnace did not work, blower comes on but not furnace
    11) Checked sail again, reset, blower works but no heat

Fortunately I have an electric heater with me.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    2024 GD Reflection 260RD
    2023 f250 Standard Bed
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would help to know what thermostat you have. The AirXcel (Coleman Mach) thermostats sometimes fail in the way and have to be replaced. If you have the One Control system or another thermostat, there's something else going on.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob.
    I have the AirXcel thermostat installed. I removed the thermostat and gave the wires a tug to make sure they were all connected. From what you say I may need to order a new one.
    Thanks
    2024 GD Reflection 260RD
    2023 f250 Standard Bed
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelL View Post
    Rob.
    I have the AirXcel thermostat installed. I removed the thermostat and gave the wires a tug to make sure they were all connected. From what you say I may need to order a new one.
    Thanks
    Without being there myself, all I can say is that's what I had to do when ours started acting that way. Never a problem since (though I've since replaced the AirXcel thermostat with an EasyTouch RV WiFi/Bluetooth programmable thermostat. I'm REALLY happy with it.)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelL View Post
    Picked up trailer 4 months ago and furnace worked great. Started having problems 2 days ago.
    1) Furnace came on but switched off before it reached temperature.
    2) Reset the furnace by switching to off on thermostat and waited 5 mins and switched to heat again.
    3) Furnace came on but switched off before it reached temperature.
    4) Repeated this cycle several times
    5) Yesterday morning opened furnace access panel outside to check wiring and sail. I could not see and loose connections or obstructions and sail was very clean. Sail switch operated when pressed
    6) Furnace worked again.
    7) Left the trailer for the afternoon, upon return blower worked but furnace did not come on.
    8) Reset the furnace by switching to off on thermostat and waited 5 mins and switched to heat.
    9) Furnace worked again.
    10) Last night furnace did not work, blower comes on but not furnace
    11) Checked sail again, reset, blower works but no heat

Fortunately I have an electric heater with me.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    After the blower running, do you hear the 'clicking' of the ignitor? If you don't, it is likely a sail switch. It may work when pressed by your finger, but maybe not easy enough to move for the air?
    If you do hear the clicking, you probably have a propane flow problem. Either supply or solenoid.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    After the blower running, do you hear the 'clicking' of the ignitor? If you don't, it is likely a sail switch. It may work when pressed by your finger, but maybe not easy enough to move for the air?
    If you do hear the clicking, you probably have a propane flow problem. Either supply or solenoid.
    No clicking sound of the ignitor.
    Thanks for the suggestion
    2024 GD Reflection 260RD
    2023 f250 Standard Bed
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I will not recommend you run the furnace like this, to prove out the sail switch either jumper it after the blower starts running or activate it with your finger or stick. If you get ignition, you will know what your problem is.
    You do have the possibility of a motherboard if it still doesn't ignite. But before running out and buying another one, remove power and unplug and reconnect all the connectors. Just to ensure a good connection, then try ignition again.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    While I will not recommend you run the furnace like this, to prove out the sail switch either jumper it after the blower starts running or activate it with your finger or stick. If you get ignition, you will know what your problem is.
    You do have the possibility of a motherboard if it still doesn't ignite. But before running out and buying another one, remove power and unplug and reconnect all the connectors. Just to ensure a good connection, then try ignition again.
    Will try that this morning. Thanks
    2024 GD Reflection 260RD
    2023 f250 Standard Bed
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It did not ignite with me activating the switch with my finger when the blower was on. Thanks for the suggestion.
    2024 GD Reflection 260RD
    2023 f250 Standard Bed
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our old Foretravel had two propane furnaces. I replaced the rear one because it had some holes where it shouldn't have any, and it worked perfectly after that. The front one would run the fan all day long, but never give any heat. I poked and prodded everything I could see until I hit one screw terminal. The screw wiggled and the igniter fired. I tightened the screw and the furnace worked perfectly for a couple of years. Eventually I had the same problem. I went out and tightened the screw again and all was good. That time I really cranked on the screw, and when we sold the MH last year it was still working perfectly.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast