User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member KIMandALLEN1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coleman OEM soft starts install difficulty?

Good afternoon. I know iterations of this question have been asked in previous posts, but I don't see anything specific to installation. I have three Coleman Mach/48000 AC units on my 2023 Momentum 397. I just finished reading the Coleman website and they state that these Coleman soft starts will fit my units. Has anyone installed these? Are they easier to install than the Microair units? They are about $100 cheaper and from Coleman proper. Has anyone seen detailed instructions posted on the install? I'm trying to decide if I can tackle this myself, or if I need to farm it out.

Thanks in advance for any input. AP

https://coleman-mach.com/products/cl...oft-start-kit/

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Mach-...442ece7d6d75f0
    2022 Chevrolet 3500hd LTZ drw
    2023 GD Momentum 397THS-R (FBP!)
    2021 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIMandALLEN1988 View Post
    Good afternoon. I know iterations of this question have been asked in previous posts, but I don't see anything specific to installation. I have three Coleman Mach/48000 AC units on my 2023 Momentum 397. I just finished reading the Coleman website and they state that these Coleman soft starts will fit my units. Has anyone installed these? Are they easier to install than the Microair units? They are about $100 cheaper and from Coleman proper. Has anyone seen detailed instructions posted on the install? I'm trying to decide if I can tackle this myself, or if I need to farm it out.

Thanks in advance for any input. AP

https://coleman-mach.com/products/cl...oft-start-kit/

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Mach-...442ece7d6d75f0
    I am pretty sure your Colemans already have soft starts.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member KIMandALLEN1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I am pretty sure your Colemans already have soft starts.
    I'll take a look when it stops raining here in Indiana! That would be great. I know Coleman now offers units with built in soft-starts, but I didn't see it mentioned in my owners documents. Thanks AP
    2022 Chevrolet 3500hd LTZ drw
    2023 GD Momentum 397THS-R (FBP!)
    2021 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of my Colemans on my 2022 Reflection did not have soft starts. I installed one on each unit. It was super easy and the instructions were great. It took about 15 mins per unit if I remember correctly. You can do it if you have a basic understanding of electrical and can follow directions....IMHO. Good luck!
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today installed the Coleman Mach OEM soft start on the living room AC. Simple easy to follow instructions, and a nice youtube video is available.

I wish I could capture inrush current on my clamp meter, to check the before and after results, but it's the slower Fluke 325 that doesn't quite do it. I'm told the 376/377 will do it. Just for kicks, I set my meter to capture the Max reading. Starting the AC before the softstart, I measured 15A on the black compressor wire, and after the install, 11A. So it's probably doing it's job now.

Locked rotor current is almost 60A on these 15K 48000 series units. Hoping to be able to fire up the AC on the inverter during quick stops along the road for lunch or a break, otherwise, just looking to add longevity. Have not heard the clunk on start with this unit that I used to hear with my previous travel trailer AC, but I've only run the AC in the Solitude a handful of times to check function.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1565.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	50499

Name:	IMG_1566.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	50500

Name:	IMG_1567.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	50501

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixXtwHBsmjk&t=5s
    2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3, 33" Toyo AT2, Transgo, 6.0 trans cooler, exhaust brake, extended overload spring bumpstops, Bilstein 4600, Hydra/PHP, FORScan, billet 7/7 turbo wheel, Adrenaline HPOP, EBC yellow stuff brake pads
    2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan Brakerite actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch