Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchasing Dilemma

We are contemplating trading up to a 2015 337RLS from a 2014 303RLS for several reasons, such as larger fridge, bedroom layout and just a little more room overall. We were looking at a 320x but I didnít want to upgrade our TV at this time.
    Anyway, Iím working with the dealer (134 miles away and in stock) we bought the 303 from and I feel that he has giving us his final selling price with our trade. Iím also corresponding with a dealer in Michigan (450 miles away, on order for May delivery) on another 337 with the same options.
    The price difference between them is substantial. I know GD prefers to have us buy local for many good reasons and I get that. But even when I figure fuel costs, overnight room and board the difference is close to $5000.
    My concern is warranty repairs. Iím not about to haul the new 337 back to MI for warranty work. So Iíll need to use my local dealer network. There are 3 within 134 miles from my home. And this is interesting, they are all under the same ownership.
    Julie and Kevin - Waterloo, IA
    2015 F-350 6.7L Lariat 4x4 SC, Edge Evolution CTS, B&W Companion.
    2015 337RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried showing the local dealer your offer from MI dealer? I had similar issue when we bought our 337, $3,000 difference, I would have been happy if they met me half way to save from buying further away and to keep my relationship with local dealer, who we also bought our old TT from. They actually beat other offer by $100 to keep my business.
    If you haven't tried this it might be worth it. Especially being a customer of theirs already, hope it works out good for you.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design's weak link is their dealer network. It would seem that these dealers can refuse to work on anything that they didn't sell . . . and there is no recourse. A tough choice. I think I would have a face-to-face talk with the near-by dealer principle about how you will be treated if you bring in a GD purchased elsewhere, for warranty work.

$5000 is a lot . . . but so is 1800 miles (450 there and back twice) to drop off and pick up for warranty work . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another consideration is that the MI dealer will be selling you a 2016 titled unit if it's on order now compared to the in stock local 2015 unit. Both are brand new but you'll be saving a full year of depreciation.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought my 337 in Florida and have my warranty work done at dealer in Richmond, VA. No problems so far. Dealer in Richmond has been great, treats me like I bought it there.
    Steve and Bonnie
    Appomattox, VA
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    VIN: 573FR3624E3300391
    2013 Ram 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly I would stop looking at different and newer models unless your funds are limitless as you will find yourself always wanting what you don't have. (grass is greener..)
    If you must have a new one I would do as already mentioned and approach your local dealer with offers you got elsewhere. You have to keep in mind there will be a price difference between whats in stock and what is ordered. Often a lot more than you mentioned. I bought my 2015 from a local dealer that had it in stock since last fall and at a show. Result.........$15k off MSRP. Th next closest competitor was an order situation and a lengthy wait at nearly full MSRP.

Right now in the peak of RV buying season is not a very good time to shop. Supply and demand thing. They aren't going to budge much on pricing when their showroom is always full of new customers.