Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    life is back to normal here in Port A.
    Interesting effect the weather had on our local golf course, they pull the flags at night and lay them down, well that Monday temp drop and wind froze the greens but the part covered by the flag survived green! They will all come back eventually but I thought it was an interesting phenomenon , all the holes were like this. The flag pin is tapered, the thicker part protected the grass along with the flag. All were pointing south (wind from the north)
    (I set the flag down next to survivor green for the photo)

That's quite the picture and tells a rare story. Thanks, for sharing.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you made it through ok. I was in West Texas for it too. That was something else, and I'm comparing to Pocono weather. We didn't skirt for it, and out cold line to the kitchen froze. Mercy of mercies, it thawed and didn't burst. Our fresh tank also froze. When the park lost water pressure we found out that the fresh tank was also useless to us. Luckily we didn't lose power--praise God. I'm not sure that lead acid battery would've lasted a day... I blew through 2 - 20 lb tanks and 1 - 30 lb. I was trying to save those 30 lb tanks for that Monday night, which I knew would be the coldest. That strategy paid off.

Found one place in Navasota that was selling propane that week. My neighbor and I went in my truck since it was 4WD. That place was cash only and the line was an hour and a half long.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread with great stories.

We ordered a 397TH last July an it came in back in November. We ordered it from a dealer 1500 km away and when it was time to pick it up there was a heavy snowfall. We didn’t want to cross the continental divide in the heavy snow so we decided to wait. After Christmas the weather turned cold and it was -50 C plus good winds where we bought it from. Again we decided to wait as we didn’t want to try the move in those temperatures.
    Finally on Friday we picked it up. We spent the first night in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan and it was -21 C. I didn’t know if the heating system was up to the task but we let the Onan run all night with the fireplace on high and the furnace going. I was surprised it was able to maintain a nice 20 C temp in the main area and the bedroom. The garage door was kept closed and was right around 0 C even though the thermostat was set to 20 C in there. We didn’t put any water in the unit yet as we will only be in it a couple nights.
    Last night we stayed just outside Lethbridge, Alberta The wind was howling all night with temperatures just below freezing. I bumped the thermostat up to 21 C and the furnace was able to easily maintain the heat.
    The first night the Onan ran 13.5 hours and we used 57 litres of gasoline. We did use a fair bit of power however. The convection oven ran for half an hour, the tv was on for several hours, both couch warmers were on, the fireplace was on the whole time, the furnace was running 90% of the time.

Fortunately we are not in a Texas situation so diesel, gas, and propane are easy to come by. I don’t know just how cold outside it could be to stay comfortable inside but I can say that if propane and gas are easy to come by that -20 C is easily do-able. I’d like to see if the tank heaters could deal with those temperatures but that will have to wait for now.

Hopefully our southern neighbours are out of the deep freeze soon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^Texas has been back to normal as it gets, at least here near Corpus, since 2/21.
    Diesel prices did jump to $2.40 a gallon ($.63 cents a liter) from $1.90 in Dec.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s good to hear. I was looking at all the “Frozen in Texas” posts here and didn’t actually look at the weather down there. Glad to hear you guys are back to normal.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^Texas has been back to normal as it gets, at least here near Corpus, since 2/21.
    Diesel prices did jump to $2.40 a gallon ($.63 cents a liter) from $1.90 in Dec.
    Wish the prices on diesel gas here in Florida would drop to your high prices. Its up to $2.89 in a lot of places now.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Wish the prices on diesel gas here in Florida would drop to your high prices. Its up to $2.89 in a lot of places now.
    Yup about as normal as it gets, all the palm trees look bad, turned all brown. The freeze really took a toll on the greenery. Diesel here on the island jumped to 2.75 - 2.99 at most of the small fuel stations. Filled up at Walmart Murphy's couple days ago for 2.25. Saw on news this morning the fuel prices may go up to 3.00. We were going to extend our stay a little, campground says they are full up. Campground changed over to a KOA, raised all the prices. Well at least spring break is here, the Island and further south Corpus, Aransas etc will get real busy. For us we are out of here Saturday, going up to the Bastrop / Austin area for a month or so., doc appt, visit friends and such.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123