User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quiet Cool A/C Systems vs. Conventional Ceiling Square Systems

Does anybody know the specific reason GD does not use the Fully Ducted Return Air A/C systems in their Solitude line? Many same price range "Full Time" RV's have converted over to the No Square in the ceiling systems which are very quiet compared to any version of the conventional square ceiling units that are in the Solitude. This is probably the single biggest detractor for us and ordering a new 384GK after the Hershey show in Sept. My first inclination is that GD is cutting costs using the old methods for A/C but I was hoping for a more technical explanation for not using the new systems. I've been in Redwoods, Cardinals, and others (even Montana's) that have the new ducted systems and they are very quiet comparatively speaking.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The newer Coleman system that is used is much more efficient than a closed return system, and within 5 decibels (which is nothing) of the "quiet cool" systems.

There is decreased airflow using the remote returns for the warm air returns.

If you haven't listened to the Coleman system, I would highly recommend trying it.

Why wait until Hershey? Better deals off the lot every day, without having to fight crowds and pay admission. I can guarantee that, because I have represented GD at Hershey for the last 5 years...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    The newer Coleman system that is used is much more efficient than a closed return system, and within 5 decibels (which is nothing) of the "quiet cool" systems.

If you haven't listened to the Coleman system, I would highly recommend trying it.

Why wait until Hershey? Better deals off the lot every day, without having to fight crowds and pay admission. I can guarantee that, because I have represented GD at Hershey for the last 5 years...

Thanks for the explanation, I will research the Coleman systems to see how they differ design wise from the more common Dometics. As for waiting, Raleigh NC isn't exactly the Meca for RV dealers and selection, mostly lower end towables on the lots here in this state. Some higher end stuff in the Charlotte area but not a lot. Went to Tampa last January to start the process, Hershey this Sept to make the final decision. Won't be buying at Hershey, that will come after Hershey. This will be our 12th and final RV over 43 years.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had fully ducted systems in my Dutch star and mobile suites, I prefer what I have in my momentum.

There usually aren't quite enough vents and it seems airflow suffers in ducted units. I'm not opposed to them, as having the ducts does help get air moving to different areas, there just aren't enough of them nor are they big enough to get enough flow on their own.

I like having the option to use the dump on one side or both. I can feed ducts in an area I might not be in as much to areas that we use all the time, especially when it's hot.

I'll tell you this, the air conditioners on my momentum are quieter than what we had in any of our previous RVs. We also have better air flow and cooling performance has been better as well.

In our newmar we needed 3 airs when in hot locations. When we lost our middle air and went down to 2 it was brutal and we had to compensate by running the air hard to pre cool the interior so as it heated up mid day it was tolerable. My momentum rarely uses the third air.

We've been very impressed with the cooling capability and comfort of our momentum. Much quieter as well.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is the model Coleman that Grand Design is using for the front air. and are they ducted? I am planning to get a front air but would like it to be ducted and Quiet. Thanks !!
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to the space limits in the ceilings we have found that fully ducted units are inferior. Invariably certain areas would get very cold and other areas hot due to pressure and shape of the ducts. There are seldom the correct amount of ducts and the further you go from the pressure source, the harder it is to get flow through ducts at the end of the line.

I like the system in our momentum. I can partially open the dump valve to compensate in areas that need more flow while the ducts can move the rest of the air.

Our momentum has the best air movement of any RV we've owned. DRV mobile suites, Newmar Dutchstar, rock wood.

Edit:

Didn't realize i answered this post in 2018 lol

Just read the OP and answered again
    Last edited by Aridon; 02-20-2021 at 09:42 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our last Jayco had the quite system and I can't tell any noticeable difference. Their both quieter than our older rv's. The Grand Design has better airflow.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post

@Daycruiser we have the 2020 Solitude 372WB with the Coleman "racetrack" system and I consider it substantially quieter than our ducted 2019 Heartland Big Country or our 2006 Alpenlite. I have also noticed that it cools better than my prior AC systems which is important to me since I live in Arizona and frequently find ourselves in places where the temps can exceed 100 degrees. One other comment, I can leave the air running in the bedroom and get a decent sleep something I could not do with my other rigs. Safe travels!
    Last edited by zinman; 02-20-2021 at 09:09 PM. Reason: bad spelling
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"