Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tech Cabinet Location in 375RES-R?

Hello,

I'm wondering if any 375RES owners have repurposed an existing cabinet as a "Tech/electronics equipment Cabinet". I have purchased a Pep Wave cellular router and am looking for a good place to install it along with my other tech gear. Ideally, a location with easy access to the roof for a 7-in-1 antenna and AC power. Has anyone else already done this, and if so, which cabinet did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 3550BH but similar kitchen layout. I installed my Pepwave in the pantry, top shelf. It was the best hidden but acceptable place I could find that also had power easily routed to. It was relatively easy to mount the Poynting antenna on the roof and run the wires straight down into the pantry.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve95628 View Post
    I have a 3550BH but similar kitchen layout. I installed my Pepwave in the pantry, top shelf. It was the best hidden but acceptable place I could find that also had power easily routed to. It was relatively easy to mount the Poynting antenna on the roof and run the wires straight down into the pantry.
    Which model Pepwave router do you have and did you connect to AC or DC power? Also, how do you like the Poynting antenna?

Thanks,

Larry
    2019 Solitude 375RES-R
    2020 F350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke 6.7L Reese 27K

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVPILOT View Post
    Which model Pepwave router do you have and did you connect to AC or DC power? Also, how do you like the Poynting antenna?

Thanks,

Larry
    I have the Peplink Mobile Max Transit Duo Cat12 model and bought it as a package with the poynting from Mobilemusthave.

Frankly, it's been a constant struggle with it. I was expecting much faster rates and better connection quality than I'm achieving with or without the Poynting. I'm using my cell as well as my wife's and kid's cells as an indication of what should be possible in the area we're camping. I'm NEVER get anywhere near the speed through the Pepwave that I get through the cells. All are AT&T. Even if I connect the Pepwave to the same channels (I have a utility on the cell to tell me the channel(s) it's connected to).

As for the Poynting - it was relatively easy to install once I figured out where to put it. I wanted to put it in the master bedroom behind the TV but the forward AC unit on the roof doesn't really allow for that (as a straight shot down from the antenna for the cables). So I put it in the pantry. I wired with AC, using the outlet for the washer/dryer but will probably wire into the USB or some other similarly always powered power source.

Would I purchase this again? I know you didn't ask but I thought I'd comment... probably not. While it seems to be a really high quality piece of hardware (and software) it falls far short of my expectations. And at the price of not only the HW but the service I don't really think it's worth it. At least not for where we've been camping. I may try getting a 2nd SIM, this one from another service provider. Probably Version or T-Mobile to see if things improve but of course that's more $.