Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any SUV towers out there?

Good afternoon all! I happen to own a 2015 Toyota Sequoia with a 5.7 V8 with towing package (tow/haul mode, suspension bags, etc). I am pulling a 21BHE with an UVW of 4,700lbs and CVWR of 12,000lbs (car and trailer). I also have a weight distribution hitch and anti sway control bar. So far it pulls pretty well at speeds of 60mph. (sway is manageable). Just wondering if there are others pulling with an SUV and what your experience is like?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before my current setup I had a 2014 Jayco 17a hybrid that I hauled from Pennsylvania with a 2010 Toyota RAV4
    It towed it like it was on a rail

The Jayco sits low and with the rav it was very stable with zero sway
    I was wayyyyy overloaded
    Overloaded on the rav and overloaded on the trailer but it towed flawlessly for 5 years until I got my Sierra

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tow 7,000lbs and GVWR is 6.600 for total combined vehicle weight rating of 13,600. I weighed at a truck stop and it came in at 12.300 total combined weight rating. the Sequoia seems to pull fine with distribution hitch and sway bar. I do get some sway in the wind, but don't think any vehicle can compensate for that right? My hitch weight is 456 lbs. (weighed at truck stop). We are planning several trips this year, so want to be as safe as possible with current TV.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
    I can tow 7,000lbs and GVWR is 6.600 for total combined vehicle weight rating of 13,600. I weighed at a truck stop and it came in at 12.300 total combined weight rating. the Sequoia seems to pull fine with distribution hitch and sway bar. I do get some sway in the wind, but don't think any vehicle can compensate for that right? My hitch weight is 456 lbs. (weighed at truck stop). We are planning several trips this year, so want to be as safe as possible with current TV.

Something not right with a hitch weight of 450....if your trailer loaded was only 3000 lbs. ( 3000 x .15= 450) . You said the trailer is rated at 4700 which common % is 15% = the hitch weight . That means your hitch weight should be 705 lbs. A sequoia has a very small PAYLOAD capacity of 1300-1370 in’s. Payload capacity is a important as towing capacity. That would mean using your numbers the weight in the SUV to stay under its capacity can be no more than 900 lbs to not exceed its limit.

By your figures and Toyota your weight of the Sequoia is 6000. + your claimed 4700 ( 10,700) means your gear is that figure from your total weighed of 12300 equaling 1600lbs. You are 700 lbs over payload capacity. Way over, not even close by your figures.

The Sequoia is a very nice luxury SUV however does not have the true suspension, brakes, axel, transmission of even a 1500 truck. It’s a passenger car. Yes you can get away with towing with it but at what cost. The engine really makes no difference.
    Yes you can tow in moderate conditions but windy no or your tail will wag the dog. You don’t really know how stable you are compared to a correct towing vehicle. To do that you need to try one.

Sure many will tell you not to worry on here , with stories of them ignoring being over payload capacity. but safety to me is paramount.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Something not right with a hitch weight of 450....if your trailer loaded was only 3000 lbs. ( 3000 x .15= 450) . You said the trailer is rated at 4700 which common % is 15% = the hitch weight . That means your hitch weight should be 705 lbs. A sequoia has a very small PAYLOAD capacity of 1300-1370 in’s. Payload capacity is a important as towing capacity. That would mean using your numbers the weight in the SUV to stay under its capacity can be no more than 900 lbs to not exceed its limit.

By your figures and Toyota your weight of the Sequoia is 6000. + your claimed 4700 ( 10,700) means your gear is that figure from your total weighed of 12300 equaling 1600lbs. You are 700 lbs over payload capacity. Way over, not even close by your figures.

The Sequoia is a very nice luxury SUV however does not have the true suspension, brakes, axel, transmission of even a 1500 truck. It’s a passenger car. Yes you can get away with towing with it but at what cost. The engine really makes no difference.
    Yes you can tow in moderate conditions but windy no or your tail will wag the dog. You don’t really know how stable you are compared to a correct towing vehicle. To do that you need to try one.

Sure many will tell you not to worry on here , with stories of them ignoring being over payload capacity. but safety to me is paramount.
    Huh? You are putting all of the gross gear weight of 1600 lbs on the tv. Most of that is on the trailer axles not the tv
    And I believe his 456 figure (although actually the same as the factory base number) is with the weight bars attached from earlier conversations but the OP hasn’t been clear

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your setup sounds good and within the capacity of your tow vehicle. I suspect your sway is due to being a little light on the tongue weight. You want to get to the 12% range typically to avoid some sway at higher speeds, although you are right to say that wind will almost always still move the billboard you are towing to some degree.

My setup is similar, and scaled out similar, and it is noticeably better to tow with 1/3 fresh water filled versus empty. That extra tongue weight, if you have the payload for it, can help.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What hitch do you have?

From your quote above I am thinking you are using a base hitch with a separate sway control. Maybe I am wrong.
    A quality hitch with 4 point integrated sway control is a must for any vehicle
    If you have a quality hitch I would suggest getting some more weight upfront and run with it
    Keep speed always at 63-65 and enjoy

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to tow with an SUV. A 2005 Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi with tow package and axle. It was powerful and safe, had a nice ride, and ate gas. 18 MPG on highway, 10-13 towing an aerodynamic 4000 lb fully loaded boat with a tongue weight of 350 lbs. The car's rated trailer pulling weight was 8500 lbs and payload capacity was 1500 lbs. We were a family of four, had tons of stuff and equipment stored in the car and trailer, the usual luggage and dog. We were near the payload weight limit on some trips. With weight distributing boat hitch, trailer brakes, upgraded springs and heavy duty tires. We were fine. Towed like for 8 years until the Durango met an untimely demise in an ice storm.

Without knowing your car's payload and trailer capacities there is no way to know if you are safe. I would imagine that you are way over your payload capacity.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Doug and Patti.
    I can tow 7,000lbs and GVWR is 6.600 for total combined vehicle weight rating of 13,600. I weighed at a truck stop and it came in at 12.300 total combined weight rating. the Sequoia seems to pull fine with distribution hitch and sway bar. I do get some sway in the wind, but don't think any vehicle can compensate for that right?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is 456lb with the weight bars attached?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast