User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any SUV towers out there?

Good afternoon all! I happen to own a 2015 Toyota Sequoia with a 5.7 V8 with towing package (tow/haul mode, suspension bags, etc). I am pulling a 21BHE with an UVW of 4,700lbs and CVWR of 12,000lbs (car and trailer). I also have a weight distribution hitch and anti sway control bar. So far it pulls pretty well at speeds of 60mph. (sway is manageable). Just wondering if there are others pulling with an SUV and what your experience is like?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before my current setup I had a 2014 Jayco 17a hybrid that I hauled from Pennsylvania with a 2010 Toyota RAV4
    It towed it like it was on a rail

The Jayco sits low and with the rav it was very stable with zero sway
    I was wayyyyy overloaded
    Overloaded on the rav and overloaded on the trailer but it towed flawlessly for 5 years until I got my Sierra

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to tow with an SUV. A 2005 Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi with tow package and axle. It was powerful and safe, had a nice ride, and ate gas. 18 MPG on highway, 10-13 towing an aerodynamic 4000 lb fully loaded boat with a tongue weight of 350 lbs. The car's rated trailer pulling weight was 8500 lbs and payload capacity was 1500 lbs. We were a family of four, had tons of stuff and equipment stored in the car and trailer, the usual luggage and dog. We were near the payload weight limit on some trips. With weight distributing boat hitch, trailer brakes, upgraded springs and heavy duty tires. We were fine. Towed like for 8 years until the Durango met an untimely demise in an ice storm.

Without knowing your car's payload and trailer capacities there is no way to know if you are safe. I would imagine that you are way over your payload capacity.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Doug and Patti.
    I can tow 7,000lbs and GVWR is 6.600 for total combined vehicle weight rating of 13,600. I weighed at a truck stop and it came in at 12.300 total combined weight rating. the Sequoia seems to pull fine with distribution hitch and sway bar. I do get some sway in the wind, but don't think any vehicle can compensate for that right?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tow 7,000lbs and GVWR is 6.600 for total combined vehicle weight rating of 13,600. I weighed at a truck stop and it came in at 12.300 total combined weight rating. the Sequoia seems to pull fine with distribution hitch and sway bar. I do get some sway in the wind, but don't think any vehicle can compensate for that right? My hitch weight is 456 lbs. (weighed at truck stop). We are planning several trips this year, so want to be as safe as possible with current TV.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is 456lb with the weight bars attached?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
    Good afternoon all! I happen to own a 2015 Toyota Sequoia with a 5.7 V8 with towing package (tow/haul mode, suspension bags, etc). I am pulling a 21BHE with an UVW of 4,700lbs and CVWR of 12,000lbs (car and trailer). I also have a weight distribution hitch and anti sway control bar. So far it pulls pretty well at speeds of 60mph. (sway is manageable). Just wondering if there are others pulling with an SUV and what your experience is like?
    First, welcome to the forum.

We towed our previous two TTs (see signature) with an ‘03 Sequoia 4.7l, 4x4, GVWR 6600, GCWR 11800, 6200 tow capacity, 650 max hitch with WDH, and 1250 payload.

Although it was just two of us and we pack light, no water in fresh tank, we did remove the 3rd row seat of the Sequoia to gain about 100# on payload.

It did fine in MD, most of PA, and VA but struggled in WV on a curvy switch back road 6%-7% grade. Had it floored going 35mph.

You’re doing the right thing by getting it weighed at the scale. That’s really the only way to know for sure if you are within your SUV’s specs. Then you can make an informed decision.

PS - this is a nice weight calculator: does require three weighs
    http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...ailerCatScales
    Last edited by Tigger1; 02-20-2021 at 08:46 AM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get SUVs built with near truck type frames rated for most of what a half ton can tow. There are even rare subs built using older HD truck underbody.

What holds back SUVs are typically the wheel base, brakes, hitch receiver strength, overall weight, duty rating, suspension, and tires. You can fix the last two, get by with lower weight and duty rating..but there is no substitute for wheel base, brakes, and hitch receiver rating. Although you have occasional adventurers deploying propride wdh to minimize sway and upgrading trailer brakes/suspension to reduce load on the SUV.

But, then you get into quagmire that only you know how much your suv can tow and in an accident- the legal system only cares about what is safe for unaltered SUV.

For me, under 30ft and 6k lbs is reasonable suv territory. Lots of us have 33ft 7-8k lb trailers and need either a real half ton truck or ideally one ton if towing frequent. We've outgrown current suvs...

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it is.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information! This is very helpful.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast