User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry, thanks for the information. Glad to know there is another Sequoia driver out there!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaasser View Post
    We have a 2019 Ford Expedition Max with the heavy-duty tow package. We have an Imagine 2800BH. I love the way the Expeditions tows. When I replaced my 2007 Expedition we did look at a Superduty but we utilize the 3 rows of seats all the time when we are not towing. So the Truck was not an option. The 2800BH is right at the edge of what the Expedition is capable of. We are over packers as well so we could do better with weights but have not put the trailer on a diet yet. Our payload is 1674 and I have not exceeded that at the scale, but have gone over once on the Rear Axle rating which is 4380. I have the 1,000lbs Equalize hitch with 7 washers. With the 3.5 Ecoboost engine pulling the trailer is easy compared to the V8 in the old Expedition. Milage towing is about the same with both SUVs 6 to 9 depending on wind direction, speed, elevation. Having the integrated brake controller makes braking so much smoother than the prodigy I had in the old Expedition. The longer wheel base of the Max I am sure help with the experiance.
    We have a nearly identical setup. 2020 Expy MAX ltd 4x4 with HD tow, GD2800BH with WDH. The one thing I was told at the dealer was to shut off the integrated anti-sway in the Expy due to the fact that we have an aftermarket one. Im not sure I understand the rationale on this though.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d love this groups opinion on a 2800BH being pulled by a 2018 Tahoe with an 8600 lb rating (2wd max trailering package). The 2800bh weighs approximately 5,600. I’m feeling comfortable but have only towed a 22 foot 4K lb trailer with this Tahoe previously and would love a second opinion.

Thanks everyone!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I think it depends on where you are planning to tow it. Looking back, I’d be a lot more comfortable with a 3/4 ton than our expedition but we need the extra interior space. Additionally, I wouldn’t want to drive our setup more than a few hours at a time as you really have to “drive” with that length behind.

The 2400BH is a solid downsize choice for your setup too.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMattGraves View Post
    I’d love this groups opinion on a 2800BH being pulled by a 2018 Tahoe with an 8600 lb rating (2wd max trailering package). The 2800bh weighs approximately 5,600. I’m feeling comfortable but have only towed a 22 foot 4K lb trailer with this Tahoe previously and would love a second opinion.

Thanks everyone!
    If just a weekend warrior it is doable

Keep in mind that 5600 lbs is empty weight
    Likely sitting on the dealers lot it will be closer to 5800 plus lbs
    Loaded you should plan on between 6500-6800lbs which requires a tongue weight between 800-1000 lbs.
    I would buy a high quality hitch
    It will likely be over your payload and gvw ratings
    But without exact numbers hard to say

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abramsma View Post
    Honestly, I think it depends on where you are planning to tow it. Looking back, I’d be a lot more comfortable with a 3/4 ton than our expedition but we need the extra interior space. Additionally, I wouldn’t want to drive our setup more than a few hours at a time as you really have to “drive” with that length behind.

The 2400BH is a solid downsize choice for your setup too.

Mostly we’d be in Arizona. 90% of the weekend trips would be within 3 hours of Phoenix. Climbing up I-17 would be slow going.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    If just a weekend warrior it is doable

Keep in mind that 5600 lbs is empty weight
    Likely sitting on the dealers lot it will be closer to 5800 plus lbs
    Loaded you should plan on between 6500-6800lbs which requires a tongue weight between 800-1000 lbs.
    I would buy a high quality hitch
    It will likely be over your payload and gvw ratings
    But without exact numbers hard to say

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew

The hitch listed that the guy is selling it with is a “Equal-i-zer 4 point sway control hitch“

I’ll plan on 6800 lbs and do some payload gvw research today. I appreciate the feedback. I’m hoping to upgrade from the 22 foot hybrid I just sold after 6 years, but don’t want to be unsafe.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMattGraves View Post

Thanks everyone!
    Not sure where your figures are coming from.
    From the GD website the 2800 UVW weight is 6386 with the GVWR ar 7795 lbs. almost exactly the same as our 2500RL.

It’s not unrealistic once you start adding batteries, propane tanks, beds ware, dishes, flat wear, pots and pans, vacuum, TV, surge protector, electric cords, grill, antenna, solar panels, inverter hoses, tools, etc. to easily put 1000 to 1100 lbs on board. That being said your weight will increase to 7400 lbs. That’s what we weigh at the scales. As NB stated you be close to 900 lbs on the hitch (888) . You could still add 500 lbs.

You keep speaking to the towing capacity of your Tahoe but not the payload capacity. It’s payload capacity is 1700 lbs. so you have 800 lbs to load the Tahoe with. 2 adults 300 lbs. Add two kids subtract 150 more. now your down to 500 ( with only the two of you) before being over. Food, clothes, maybe a generator, tools, chairs, rug, , you be maxed out or over .

Is being over an ok thing as long as you have the towing capacity. Many opinions. However most Tahoe’s are made to be SUV with light towing which a 2800 is not. Suspension is dampened for a smoother ride . Gear ratio set for improved gas mileage vs even a simple 1500 which will be at max payload capacity, but at least has a more robust suspension, alternator, radiator, cooling system components. Common sense says that if you operate at full capacity or over it, vs substantially under your SUV will wear out more quickly. Even with a WD hitch it doesn’t ameliorate the weight you are over, just moves it potentially.

Almost every poster I see on here who has purchased a vehicle for a trailer like this once they have moved up to a 2500 vs a 1500 says there is a huge difference. Don’t usually see anyone going the opposite direction. Look around going down the road. How many 7400 lb trailers do you see being pulled by trucks? How many by large SUV. There’s your answer������
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Not sure where your figures are coming from.
    From the GD website the 2800 UVW weight is 6386 with the GVWR ar 7795 lbs. almost exactly the same as our 2500RL.

It’s not unrealistic once you start adding batteries, propane tanks, beds ware, dishes, flat wear, pots and pans, vacuum, TV, surge protector, electric cords, grill, antenna, solar panels, inverter hoses, tools, etc. to easily put 1000 to 1100 lbs on board. That being said your weight will increase to 7400 lbs. That’s what we weigh at the scales. As NB stated you be close to 900 lbs on the hitch (888) . You could still add 500 lbs.

You keep speaking to the towing capacity of your Tahoe but not the payload capacity. It’s payload capacity is 1700 lbs. so you have 800 lbs to load the Tahoe with. 2 adults 300 lbs. Add two kids subtract 150 more. now your down to 500 ( with only the two of you) before being over. Food, clothes, maybe a generator, tools, chairs, rug, , you be maxed out or over .

Is being over an ok thing as long as you have the towing capacity. Many opinions. However most Tahoe’s are made to be SUV with light towing which a 2800 is not. Suspension is dampened for a smoother ride . Gear ratio set for improved gas mileage vs even a simple 1500 which will be at max payload capacity, but at least has a more robust suspension, alternator, radiator, cooling system components. Common sense says that if you operate at full capacity or over it, vs substantially under your SUV will wear out more quickly. Even with a WD hitch it doesn’t ameliorate the weight you are over, just moves it potentially.

Almost every poster I see on here who has purchased a vehicle for a trailer like this once they have moved up to a 2500 vs a 1500 says there is a huge difference. Don’t usually see anyone going the opposite direction. Look around going down the road. How many 7400 lb trailers do you see being pulled by trucks? How many by large SUV. There’s your answer������
    Yeah good catch. Just noticed the numbers. Hadn’t had my coffee yet
    Unsure where he got 5600. Maybe the 2400bh

Mind you a Facebook group for 2400/2800 imagine owners I am in has a very large group towing with Tahoe’s,expys and sequoias

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5600lb of the 2800bh IÂ’m mentioning is based on it being a 2016. I know the new ones listed higher, but I was using this site here.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2016-...2800bh-tr26168

I appreciate the feedback...you all are going to help me made a big purchase mistake.

I’m looking at a 2021 23RBH today. That should be no problem I’m thinking, right?
    Last edited by TheMattGraves; 03-13-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast