User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why isn't there a slam latch on the generator door?

There's really a wimpy lock on the generator door and there could be some expensive batteries in there.
    Does anyone know why Grand Design doesn't put a better locking mechanism there - like the slam latches that are on every other door? Has anyone done that type of "upgrade"?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gendoor.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	31344
    signature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    There's really a wimpy lock on the generator door and there could be some expensive batteries in there.
    Does anyone know why Grand Design doesn't put a better locking mechanism there - like the slam latches that are on every other door? Has anyone done that type of "upgrade"?

I am looking to get a lock for our generator door, it’s the only door without a lock on our ‘21 G31. Looking at ordering one from Bauer directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve wondered the same thing. Ours does have a lock on it but it doesn’t catch so it is pretty much useless. Because of this we try not to store any valuable items in that area, besides the generator. Hopefully someone has come up with a better solution as I would be interested in seeing what others have done.
    The Becicka's
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 380 FL-R
    2020 Ram 3500 Cummins HO
    Fairfax, Iowa

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted misread "slam latch"
    Last edited by A.Texas.Yankee; 01-01-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before you upgrade/change to a slam latch let me tell you that slam latches are NOT secure. They can easily be popped open with a screw driver.

If you want a more secure lock you should consider a couple of locking cam locks.

And as someone pointed out to me, nothing about an RV is secure. A determined individual with the right tools, or a really big hammer, can get into any RV or storage compartments.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Before you upgrade/change to a slam latch let me tell you that slam latches are NOT secure. They can easily be popped open with a screw driver.
    Good point. The problem with my unit right now is it has a locking cam lock where the tab doesn't extend far enough onto the door frame to hold it shut. I can pull on the door with my hand and it comes open. My first thought was just get a little bit longer cam piece on the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    And as someone pointed out to me, nothing about an RV is secure. A determined individual with the right tools, or a really big hammer, can get into any RV or storage compartments.
    True that as well. I suppose someone with a hole saw and a sawzall could easily make an entrance door on any wall of an RV. I guess all I really want to do is make mine harder to get into than my neighbors.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 01-01-2021 at 11:07 AM.
    signature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. The problem with my unit right now is it has a locking cam lock where the tab doesn't extend far enough onto the door frame to hold it shut. I can pull on the door with my hand and it comes open. My first thought was just get a little bit longer cam piece on the back.
    True that as well. I suppose someone with a hole saw and a sawzall could easily make an entrance door on any wall of an RV. I guess all I really want to do is make mine harder to get into than my neighbors.
    I would say your best option would be to get a longer catch on the back of the cam lock. If you purchase a 'universal' cam lock they come with several different catches in the package. Or you could add a bigger metal plate to the inside for your cam lock to catch better.

I have a slam latch that can be easily pulled open when locked. Trying to fix that one is when I figured out the latch on the other side that does lock can be opened easily with a screw driver. Takes very little effort.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the number on the original key that came with the lock you show in your picture. Is it CH751? If yes then most people with a RV have a key to the lock. Google CH751 and search this forum.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Check the number on the original key that came with the lock you show in your picture. Is it CH751? If yes then most people with a RV have a key to the lock. Google CH751 and search this forum.
    Fortunately, I don't have that key. My 349M came with the "keyed alike" feature so there's one key for all of the locks. It would really suck if most people had the key to my RV. (I really hope that's not what Grand Design means by "keyed alike")

I'm now thinking I'll do what OurNewEra suggested and get a better cam lock & maybe reinforce the door frame a little. Perhaps even go with a tubular cam lock like this?

But then, there goes my "keyed alike" feature

Name:	tubular-cam-locks-sm9.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	31399
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 01-01-2021 at 08:52 PM.
    signature

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately, I don't have that key. My 349M came with the "keyed alike" feature so there's one key for all of the locks. It would really suck if most people had the key to my RV. (I really hope that's not what Grand Design means by "keyed alike")

I'm now thinking I'll do what OurNewEra suggested and get a better cam lock & maybe reinforce the door frame a little. Perhaps even go with a tubular cam lock like this?

But then, there goes my "keyed alike" feature

Name:	tubular-cam-locks-sm9.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	31399
    I have been thinking about locking the generator / battery door better myself.

I work on coin washers and dryers for a living (31 years so far) and the ace (round locks) are readily available. The hard part is making a custom cam bar. I'm thinking about replacing the 2 thumb locks also with ace locks. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast