User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of you have added an Aux. Fuel Tank.....

So for the last 3 years, I've had a 42 gallon "L" shaped transfer tank in my truck for having extra diesel fuel available when we travel. When I bought the tank originally, I went cheap and got a steel tank. Of course, over the years I am now experiencing some rust/debris in the tank. I'm going to remove the tank and scrap it and I've got a brand new 60 gallon all aluminum tank on order, and it's a "aux. tank" vs. a "transfer tank". So my question to those of you that have extra tanks in the bed of the truck, did you go with the Transfer (with an electric pump to move the fuel) of did you go with the Aux. tank and hook it up with the gravity feed into the existing truck tank?

I'm thinking of doing the gravity feed method, but also installing my Fill-Rite diesel pump also. Should I just choose one or the other method?......or does anyone see a benefit of having both available (the gravity feed and the pump)? All of the wiring/ect is already in place, so it would be a pretty simple operation to just move the pump to the new tank, but is it really necessary or is there pros and cons of this idea? Comments please and if you've ever had issues with the gravity feed method?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too added a gravity feed auxiliary tank to my chevy. Then I saw some stuff in the tank, so added a fuel filter, when I started having fuel injector problems I added FASS fuel filter system and pump.

Ok, it was a good idea, it just didn't work.

I replaced the auxiliary tank with a Titan XXL 60 gallon tank. That did much better.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started this adventure, late in 2014, I bought a used combination tool chest/fuel tank. It had a 12 volt transfer pump, which I removed, as I converted it to gravity feed. The tank holds around 90 gallons. The main reason I removed the pump was I occasionally utilize a bed cover and the pump would have been in the way. The gravity feed is a very simple method to get the fuel into the factory tank. I did install a shut off valve in that line. For me, the setup has worked perfectly for 6 years, and I would not change anything. I have never regretted removing the pump.

The extra tank allows me to choose when and where to buy fuel. The few times I had to add fuel when pulling the trailer definitely increased the pucker factor.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'd like to, but we can't. We have a gas powered truck.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an RDS 90 gal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Install was easy. Set the tank in the bed where you want it, drill the holes through the tabs and bed, install the bolts. Then cut the fuel input line to the tank and install the T with the valve up. Clamp and done.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9EBqQXkPGmegARDg9

I like the gravity feed, so long as you install the ball valve correctly you can't screw it up. Physics is in the drivers seat and there is no stress about your pump breaking when you are in the middle of no where.

The fill rate is well in excess of what I suck down when driving. We just finished 9k miles out west over the fall and had no issues what so ever. My main tank stayed full and i burned through the diesel in my aux tank leaving the main tank as my "getting low". My range towing is amazing now and we plan our stops around the TDS fuel card best truck stop savings. I paid an average of $1.84 per gallon for diesel, mostly through TA stations on the trip because we could pick and choose which stations to hit over our 900 to 1000 mile rage towing our momentum.

Highly recommend both a aux tank and the TDS fuel savings. DM me if you want a link.
    Last edited by Aridon; 12-21-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post

We'd like to, but we can't. We have a gas powered truck.
    They make DOT gasoline fuel tanks that you can use to carry extra fuel, but there are a couple of items to be knowledge of. 1. You CANNOT use it as a gravity feed into your truck tank, so you would have to "transfer" it, via a gasoline rated pump. 2. If I'm not mistaken, the laws for carrying gasoline that way vary state by state....so you would need to see if it is legal where you live.....and possibly, where you are going.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I have an RDS 90 gal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Install was easy. Set the tank in the bed where you want it, drill the holes through the tabs and bed, install the bolts. Then cut the fuel input line to the tank and install the T with the valve up. Clamp and done.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9EBqQXkPGmegARDg9

I like the gravity feed, so long as you install the ball valve correctly you can't screw it up. Physics is in the drivers seat and there is no stress about your pump breaking when you are in the middle of no where.

The fill rate is well in excess of what I suck down when driving. We just finished 9k miles out west over the fall and had no issues what so ever. My main tank stayed full and i burned through the diesel in my aux tank leaving the main tank as my "getting low". My range towing is amazing now and we plan our stops around the TDS fuel card best truck stop savings. I paid an average of $1.84 per gallon for diesel, mostly through TA stations on the trip because we could pick and choose which stations to hit over our 900 to 1000 mile rage towing our momentum.

Highly recommend both a aux tank and the TDS fuel savings. DM me if you want a link.
    Thank you for that reply ^^^ I've watched a few videos on cutting the truck's fuel feed pipe and the only way I would do that is to remove it from the truck and make the cut so that there is ZERO risk of getting metal shavings in the fuel system. It's good to hear that the gravity feed method is working good for you. I was a little concerned that a 3/8" line from the aux. tank to the fuel filler tube maybe wouldn't allow enough fuel to the truck tank.....but it sounds like it's a "non" worry item for me. And you thoughts about burning through the fuel in the aux. tank and then using the fuel gauge on the truck for "getting low" was my exact thoughts on how it would work. I do plan on getting the TDS card sometime this coming year, as we are planning a trip out west next year and total trip mileage will be around 6000 to 6500 miles door to door. I feel the same way you do also on planning the fuel stops when I want to, not out of need or necessity....both from a price standpoint and the fact that I hate BioDiesel and I refuse to buy it unless I just have to. Thanks again for the input, I appreciate ya!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this thread.
    I plan to install an auxiliary tank and will
    use the advice given here.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I too added a gravity feed auxiliary tank to my chevy. Then I saw some stuff in the tank, so added a fuel filter, when I started having fuel injector problems I added FASS fuel filter system and pump.

Ok, it was a good idea, it just didn't work.

I replaced the auxiliary tank with a Titan XXL 60 gallon tank. That did much better.
    I kind of gave that some thought, but decided on another "L" shaped tank. Total capacity when fully fueled will be right at 97 gallons. If anyone is interested in getting an aux. tank, the best pricing I've found for RDS and ATI is a place called "tankandbarrel.com" Shipping is fairly expensive, but no sales tax unless you live in Missouri and ????. Shipping is also cheaper if it is to a business instead of residential. I'm having mine shipped to a good friend's business address and then picking it up there. Anyway, I'm not connected or associated with tankandbarrel, just a customer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if anyone is interested of not, but I marked up a picture of the RDS 60 gallon tank that I'm getting to show some useful info. The tank, because it's an "L" shaped tank, does not have a fuel gauge in it and they don't make one for it, so I sat down and did some calculations, based on the cubic feet of space inside the tank, then converted that cubic feet of space into how many gallons was in it. The picture markup is divided into the "bottom" part of the tank, then the "upper" or top part of the tank....

Last edited by xrated; 12-21-2020 at 05:33 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast