User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    I wouldn't rule out the new 7.3 gas motor. It will tow it with no problem and give you more payload capacity. My F250 with the 6.2 gas motor has over 3900 pounds carrying capacity.
    I have check probably check dozen gas heavy duty 250/2500 trucks on Ford and Ram lots and have not seen any near 3900 pounds on the yellow door tag. I seen those kind of numbers on the website but not in real life.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    14,000 lbs max? You'll be legal unless you load really strange with a new 350 class truck. Diesel eats up payload, but I'd be surprised if you get over 3K on the pin with that trailer.

I know you said you don't want a DRW, but, even though a SRW, in your case, I think will be "legal", a DRW will unquestionably do it better. If you're not going to tow a ton, or you really can't own a DRW, I get it. But having now owned a 450 for about a year, I've had exactly 0 situations over that year where the DRW was a problem outside of not being able to use automated car washes and drive thrus. I've even parked it in an airport garage a few times, you need to pick your spot, of course, but it does fit. Honestly, the length is harder than the width, but the length helps a lot with towing stability. It's all about compromises.
    Thanks! Overtaxed but I will not go with a DRW under any circumstance. I'm not fulltime and only use my trailer to head South in the winter for four months. My truck will be more of a daily driver. I should have stated some of this earlier. I have looked at some other trailers and may go as heavy as 16500 but will stay under 40 ft.. I have had some people tell me that I only need a dually if the fifth wheel goes north of 20000lbs.. There are many people here where I'm at this winter with SRW and DRW all towing more than I intend to tow.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! BigSwick but I'm looking to buy used. I have thought about a 250 or 2500. I'm driving a 2500HD gasser now with 2870 payload and know I now need a diesel. Live and learn. This was going to be our last trailer though. HaHA! I bet that 7.3L is a beast and would be cheaper than a diesel but a little out of my price range with buying a fifth wheel too. I still feel the Eco Boost engine on my F150 could out pull many 250 or 2500 if you could put it on a truck with the payload capacity.
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! for all the good info. This gives me a lot to think about. I know I have to keep Pin Weight down and find payload at around 4000lbs. I'm not looking to buy new so this should be interesting.
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Thanks! for all the good info. This gives me a lot to think about. I know I have to keep Pin Weight down and find payload at around 4000lbs. I'm not looking to buy new so this should be interesting.
    Good luck. This is why I went 3500 diesel when I replaced the Tundra. I have 3850 payload so I should be good for a nice sized 5th wheel if/when the time comes.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Good luck. This is why I went 3500 diesel when I replaced the Tundra. I have 3850 payload so I should be good for a nice sized 5th wheel if/when the time comes.

Rob
    with
    I may go look at the new 7.3l Ford and check the payload. I saw one new with everything I would want for less than a used diesel with 40000or 50000 miles on it.
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went through the same process for the same reason.
    Check out the 2020-2021 GMC/Chevy 3500s.
    First in class upgrade to the 10-speed Allison transmission and beefed up frame. Max capacity at 21k lbs and 5th tongue weight around 5k lbs.
    They are beasts and can handle about as much load as the couple year old dualies.
    We had our first pull yesterday and the Chevy 3500 HD pulled the 310 like a dream. I must have said to my wife a dozen times how impressive it handled and pulled. Granted that’s dry weight of an empty rig, but it felt like pulling a kiddy wagon!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I have check probably check dozen gas heavy duty 250/2500 trucks on Ford and Ram lots and have not seen any near 3900 pounds on the yellow door tag. I seen those kind of numbers on the website but not in real life.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wgttag.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	32248

FYI- above is on an F250. The more options you have, the less carrying capacity. This includes diesel and 4WD
    To the OP- on Ford longbed you get a bigger gas tank as well. Wish I would have went long
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    We are thinking of moving up to a fifth wheel and are considering the 337RLS. I realize a move to a diesel will be necessary. I do not want a dually under any circumstance. I know this is a loaded question so please only answer with your experience with what you are using or have used. We are currently towing a 297 RSTS which is about 34 ft.
    As you can see from my signature specifications below we have a 337RLS and our tow vehicle is a short bed, SRW, RAM 3500. Bottom line, we are thrilled with this combination.

I will leave all the numbers up to those who have already posted and answer based on our driving and handling experience.

We live in CO and have covered all of the state with the exception of the Dinosaur, Northwest part of the state. We have driven beyond CO many times but I do believe the roads of CO give any tow vehicle and rig a run for their money. In driving over all the mountain passes we have no issues pulling our rig and managing our rig down 4 - 6 degree downslopes. The 6.7L Cummins is a power horse. The downhill grade management is superb having a 6 speed transmission combined with the engine brake. Additionally I never feel as if I am not in control of the rig.

The short bed does require attention. I do not have a slider hitch therefore I give close attention to any tight turning left or right. My 337RLS does not completely clear the cab thus I get about an 80 degree turn. In fairness there are times that I had long bed envy but the envy only comes from having to make sharp turns and my having to be very cautious about the cab rear corners. A slider hitch, I believe, would remedy this.

Finally, like you, my RAM is a daily driver and I did not want to deal with a long bed and I wanted to park the truck in our garage. Length was an issue.

Hope this is of use.
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pull a 303RLS with a RAM 3500 Longhorn SRW using the Anderson hitch much like Jerryr. We boondock meaning fresh water tank is full alot of the time when moving. I believe my payload is around 3400 pounds but for sure more then I need for the 303.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast