Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When and How to best turn Water back on after Freeze/Thaw

Hello, I'm sure I'm not the only one with concerns after this latest freeze. And I've read some of the posts related to this which were helpful.

However, I have (i think) a specific question:

QUESTION: ...Is there a best way to prepare for turning the water back on? ...What I mean is, are there any technical steps I should take first; like draining, or turning any vales on the hot water unit, etc.?

Background Information:
    Yesterday it got above freezing a bit for the first time in several days, but below freezing again last night. Today, it is very sunny, we're above freezing and looks like we'll stay that way for a while, thankfully. The snow and ice outside is thawing rapidly, and tomorrow will be even warmer. The water hose is feeling rubbery again.

City water is finally back on today, but I still have the source faucet closed -- because I'm afraid to open it to get water flowing to see what damage there might be to my Imagine 2970.
    So far, without running water, I have not seen any leaks.

By the way, I am not desperate for water right now, but obviously somewhat of an inconvenience.

Thanks, Craig (aka Grand Master IceMan) ...i know, how ironic

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again, I'm replying to my own message since I haven't seen any replies yet, and hopefully I can clarify what I'm asking.

BEFORE I turn back on the water source, what should I do? ...that's really the question.

In other words, should I drain the hot water heater, or does it matter?
    Should I turn on the source valve only a little, or does it matter?
    Should I open my faucets just a little, or does it matter?
    ...Anything else I should do?

And what about DURING the process of having running water again:

Should I be paying special attention to the hot water heater area for possible leaks? I finally figured out this was accessible from my bottom clothes drawer, and wondered why this wasn't in the manual?
    I assume I should watch the bathroom sink connections, but how to correctly remove that board if I need to?
    ...Same thing regarding the kitchen island sink and its board?
    And finally, any way to inspect the bathroom shower connections other than what's external to see?

Thanks again for any assistance!
    -IceMan

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fill up you fresh water tank and use the water pump to pressurize the lines

I would not hook up to city water. If a leak happens you may not know right away

Using the rv water pump it will stop once it fills the lines. If it starts again without a faucet on means you could have a leak. Shut the pump off to investigate

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my fifth wheel I can remove wall panels in basement storage and watch the fittings for leaks. Is their a panel you can remove to see behind Nautilus system and look for leaks when you turn water on.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    Hello, I'm sure I'm not the only one with concerns after this latest freeze. And I've read some of the posts related to this which were helpful.

However, I have (i think) a specific question:

QUESTION: ...Is there a best way to prepare for turning the water back on? ...What I mean is, are there any technical steps I should take first; like draining, or turning any vales on the hot water unit, etc.?

Background Information:
    Yesterday it got above freezing a bit for the first time in several days, but below freezing again last night. Today, it is very sunny, we're above freezing and looks like we'll stay that way for a while, thankfully. The snow and ice outside is thawing rapidly, and tomorrow will be even warmer. The water hose is feeling rubbery again.

City water is finally back on today, but I still have the source faucet closed -- because I'm afraid to open it to get water flowing to see what damage there might be to my Imagine 2970.
    So far, without running water, I have not seen any leaks.

By the way, I am not desperate for water right now, but obviously somewhat of an inconvenience.

Thanks, Craig (aka Grand Master IceMan) ...i know, how ironic
    Hi Craig, lol that is ironic.
    Keep all faucets closed and like others have said, turn on your pump and listen. If you have fresh water in your tank that is. If it stops then wait a little more. If it doesn't come back on then thats a great sign. If you don't have water in your tank then slowly open the city water valve and listen for any water spraying. If you can peak inside to see all of the plumbing then even better. Just slowly and water pressure.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one bit of advice not mentioned - if it's going to freeze again don't turn the water on yet. Currently you are in winterized mode. If all went as planned then nothing busted during the freeze. If you turn the water on now and it's about to freeze again then you'll have winterize all over again. Winterizing again maybe something you're willing to do but if not don't turn on the water until all freezing weather is over for the winter.

Sort of stateing the obvious.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

And just to comment quickly: I am NOT winterizing, though wish I was. In Texas, this time of year can often be the best time to camp, plus I use the RV as my work office anyway.
    But this recent winter storm was the worst I have ever seen in the 59 years I've been alive!

First the water FROZE on its own shortly after the storm hit and temperatures plummeted; then, the City decided to turn OFF the water to everyone due to a combination of technical problems, and huge demand... We didn't have electricity either, so we left to stay in a hotel and just got back yesterday now that things seem to be returning to somewhat normal conditions, even though we're still under a 'boil water notice'..

But yes, I have fresh water in the tank already that I keep for back-up/emergency purposes. I suppose it froze too? If so, it's thawed now.
    I just hope the Pump didn't get damaged during the first day of the storm because I tried to use it when the City water lines froze, but it stopped working as well; so I stopped trying to turn it on when I realized that was hopeless. The one thing I may have done right is that I barricaded the bottom of the RV with a self-made skirt of sorts with anything I could find to try and trap the belly air underneath.

...So I'll wait just a bit if anything I've said above prompts additional replies or concerns.
    Otherwise, by noon today I'd like to get started on the advice already given so that I have enough daylight to deal with anything; if I'll even know what to do if there's damage, other than I guess shut the water back off.

Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I guess I'm replying to my own reply again

In addition to what I've stated above, I'm reading in the Owners Manual that says to "ALWAYS open hot and cold water faucets when filling the fresh water tank...". Well, my FRESH WATER TANK is already filled but the WATER HEATER is not because I drained it yesterday. ...So, does this instruction still apply or not?

Also, the Owners Manual instructions say so to "CHECK that the WATER HEATER is filled with water before use". ...But, how do you check it?

And lastly, I still have a question leftover regarding the 'board panels' inside the RV that surround the "sink components", and how do you remove them it you need to get in there -- like soaking-up any water that may leak or flood?

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to what I've stated above, I'm reading in the Owners Manual that says to "ALWAYS open hot and cold water faucets when filling the fresh water tank...". Well, my FRESH WATER TANK is already filled but the WATER HEATER is not because I drained it yesterday. ...So, does this instruction still apply or not?

Also, the Owners Manual instructions say so to "CHECK that the WATER HEATER is filled with water before use". ...But, how do you check it?

And lastly, I still have a question leftover regarding the 'board panels' inside the RV that surround the "sink components", and how do you remove them it you need to get in there -- like soaking-up any water that may leak or flood?

Thanks again!
    To check your hot water tank go outside to the pressure relief valve and pull the lever up. If water comes gushing out it is full. Do not turn the hot water on by the switches unless you know you have water in the tank or you will burn out the heating element.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again!
    To fill the the hot water tank; turn on the hot water faucet it the kitchen and / or bathroom until all the air is pushed out by the water from the filling with the hose. Once that is done, disconnect the hose. If you have enough water in the fresh water tank, that would be safer then using the hose.

An easy way to check for leaks, is to put some water in the fresh tank and pressurize everything with the onboard pump. Leave the pump on and listen for the pump to cycle on. If it cycles on after all the air has been blead out of all of the faucets, you have a leak somewhere.

Good luck, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021