User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transcend XPlor vs. Imagine

Hi all....we are newbies to the RV world, but we have focused our search for a new RV down to GD. We're just impressed with the overall quality of the build and the reports of excellent customer service. I'm curious to ask actual owners about their thoughts between 2 or 3 models that we've currently narrowed down to. About us...we are a family of 3 (mom, dad, almost 13-year old daughter, and a golden retriever who will travel with us). Our TV is a 2018 Silverado 5.3L V8 with towing capacity of 11,100 lbs (though I think our number we will have to watch more closely will be the payload). We are in NC, and we would travel for weekend trips fairly locally, but we also are a big road trip family, so we plan to use our TT for longer trips throughout the country.

As we have looked at the TTs, we've found that we prefer the BH models just so our daughter has some privacy (as much as you can get in a bunk) and a bed to call her own (rather than the dinette that has to be made every night). However, we have also loved some of the models that have larger living spaces rather than the bunks. As of right now, our biggest focus has been on the following models:

265bh - We absolutely love the floorplan of the Transcend XPlor 265bh. Overall, I think it's a good TT, and it fits our family well. My daughter especially loves the bunk style being a little more open (unfortunately, she has my bit of claustrophobia, so the corner bunks sometimes make her a little anxious) and the devoted closet with drawers in the steps. We would trade out the dinette for a tri-fold sofa in this plan. We also love the mid-bath, the windows in the living space (it seems a bit brighter than the Imagines that we've looked at) and the additional counter space for the kitchen. What we don't love is that there is no outdoor kitchen (although this is the ONE area that I think GD doesn't do well in these models but begins to improve upon in the Reflections) and just some of the build quality factors between this and the Imagine series.

2400bh - The Imagine 2400bh probably checks the most boxes for us, but it's a little more pricey than the 265 and the layout isn't quite as desirable to us. What it does have that we love (over the 265bh) are the upgraded steps, slightly better insulation, outdoor kitchen, and I think slightly more roomy master bedroom. We would also swap out the dinette in this one for the trip-fold sofa, but the seating in this one would be much more limited than in the 265, if we were to have friends come by, etc. Another big bonus for this one is that it's a bit smaller and lighter than the other 2, which we like for maneuverability and longer trips. Plus, I just like the outside look of the Imagine line (I know that shouldn't be a huge factor, but they're just sharp looking). I feel like, at least on the first run, our price quote we've been given for this model is a bit more competitive than the price we were quoted for the 265 (just based on percentage off MSRP), but we haven't even tried negotiating at this point, so that may not be a big issue in the long run.

2800bh - This one is probably our last pick just due to size, price, etc. The one thing that bumps this one up is that we do get the extra seating in the living area over the 2400. All other factors are similar to the 2400.

So, my questions.... is it worth trading out the floorplan that we love most (the 265) for the better build quality of the Imagine? I know the Transcend line is a bit newer, but does anyone have feedback on the true quality differences between those and the Imagines? The 2400 does check almost all of our boxes, but at the same time, each time we walk into a 265, we all 3 love that layout.

Any other input at all on models that you think we may have not thought about for our family? Right now, we aren't in a huge hurry, but if we zone in on the right model and get the right price (tough right now with the market being so saturated with buyers), we are prepared to jump on it.

Thanks in advance for your input. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through posts on this forum!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought my second camper and it's a Transcend XPlor. In my opinion compared to my friends exact (last years model) Imagine, the Transcend is built with studs verses Keith's fiberglass panels, so his camper is lighter. Personnelly, I like the aluminum panels on mine. His has the swintec camper slide and I'm not a fan, too complicated, mine is simple and in case of electrical failure it's simple to open and close, his might require a computer science degree The insides of both look the same, the frame looks the same, I think his floor my have metal joists and I bet mine has wood. The electrics and plumbing look the same.....except my tank drain hangs lower and I don't like that. Also the controls are the same for water, and battery and everything else. Both in my limited experience are great campers.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @grins88,

One of the things you didn't mention in your original post is what your planned tow vehicle is. The different models have different GVWRs and will put different tongue weights on your tow vehicle (it's not all about max tow capacity - payload is just as important). Don't use the advertised tongue weights - they are empty weights. For a pull-behind trailer, use 12% of the GVWR listed for the trailer to estimate a loaded tongue weight. Then find out what the payload capacity of your tow vehicle is. Subtract the weight of a full tank of fuel, all passengers, anything you would load in the TV, and 100 lbs. for a weight-distributing hitch. If, after doing this, you have enough payload capacity left over for the estimated loaded tongue weight above, you're good to go. You may find this calculator useful:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Floor plans and "livability" are important - but so is safety.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh...thanks so much! That info does help. Glad you're liking your Transcend. For the money, they really seem like great rigs!

Rob...absolutely! We've actually been crunching numbers over the past couple of days and giving ourselves pretty major headaches. We've zeroed in on payload as I feel sure that's where we are going to be a little more close on the numbers. I used your link (I did a VIN lookup for our particular truck), though, and it has me pretty puzzled. I admittedly was going by hitch weights given by GD, so I've adjusted that, but I am still thinking that we would be very close to being okay with the 2400 in particular. We're in a Silverado 1500 V8 5.3 LTZ with towing package. According to our VIN our towing capacity is 9,100 lbs (I had that wrong in OP), tongue weight max of 910 lbs and payload capacity of 1505 lbs. Using the GVWR for the 2400 of 7495 (according to GD), I'm getting a hitch weight of 899 lbs (significant difference from the published 505 lbs, which does alarm and confuse me even further). Since it's just the 3 of us and the dog in the truck, I'm estimating a cab weight of around 600 lbs. So, if we have nothing in the bed, and assuming that hitch weight of 899 is accurate, we're barely squeaking by under the payload. The thing is, I just can't wrap my head around that we are that tight on capacity with what is essentially a pretty small rig. Does this seem correct? If so, that eliminates the Transcend completely and may push us down to a totally different model altogether. The fact that the hitch weight published by GD would be nearly 400 lbs off really frustrates me.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grins88 View Post
    Josh...thanks so much! That info does help. Glad you're liking your Transcend. For the money, they really seem like great rigs!

Rob...absolutely! We've actually been crunching numbers over the past couple of days and giving ourselves pretty major headaches. We've zeroed in on payload as I feel sure that's where we are going to be a little more close on the numbers. I used your link (I did a VIN lookup for our particular truck), though, and it has me pretty puzzled. I admittedly was going by hitch weights given by GD, so I've adjusted that, but I am still thinking that we would be very close to being okay with the 2400 in particular. We're in a Silverado 1500 V8 5.3 LTZ with towing package. According to our VIN our towing capacity is 9,100 lbs (I had that wrong in OP), tongue weight max of 910 lbs and payload capacity of 1505 lbs. Using the GVWR for the 2400 of 7495 (according to GD), I'm getting a hitch weight of 899 lbs (significant difference from the published 505 lbs, which does alarm and confuse me even further). Since it's just the 3 of us and the dog in the truck, I'm estimating a cab weight of around 600 lbs. So, if we have nothing in the bed, and assuming that hitch weight of 899 is accurate, we're barely squeaking by under the payload. The thing is, I just can't wrap my head around that we are that tight on capacity with what is essentially a pretty small rig. Does this seem correct? If so, that eliminates the Transcend completely and may push us down to a totally different model altogether. The fact that the hitch weight published by GD would be nearly 400 lbs off really frustrates me.
    The published hitch weight is not off - it's just empty. No batteries, water, clothes, food, kitchen stuff, camping gear - all the things you put in an RV to go camping. It is misleading, though. Who heads out camping with nothing on board? It sounds like you've crunched the numbers correctly. Unfortunately, most half-ton trucks are not intended as serious tow vehicles (but that doesn't stop a lot of people from treating them as such). You mentioned you did a VIN lookup to get the numbers for the truck. Does that mean you don't have the truck yet? If so, is there a possibility of getting a properly equipped 3/4-ton gasser, instead? If you have to stick with the 1/2-ton, stay within the payload specs, get a good W/D hitch with anti-sway, and make sure the truck has LT tires instead of P - and don't drive faster than 65 MPH while towing.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The payload for your specific truck (as it came from the factory) is inside the drivers door. That will be exact. Not sure your tongue weight max number, not something I’ve seen on a pickup before.

A 34 foot trailer is NOT a small trailer. That’s a big trailer and one I would personally want a bigger truck to tow, although it could theoretically be pulled by a half ton. Once again the high tow capacity on these trucks are maxes. You could pull a flat load in a 15ft trailer that weighed 9100lbs. Or a 35ft RV with walls on all four sides up to 12ft. You may want to try pulling a trailer like that with your truck before you go all in on one. Even properly setup, you may not be comfortable, especially if you like higher highway speeds. It’ll move the truck around. Rentals are out there even if it isn’t the exact trailer you’re after. Plus it helps a lot to actually spend a couple days in one and see which features really matter to you. I’ve pulled my 22’ with a 150 and 250. Both are fine, the 250 was effortless. Not sure where my comfort level would be, but probably around 30’ I would step up the truck.

As for the two different models, my opinion is to buy what you like. The construction methods are totally different, metal vs wood, as are the insulation methods. But both are solid trailers you should be able to enjoy with your family.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do have the truck already...it just didn't have the sticker inside the door with the full info (other than payload), so I had to do it as a VIN lookup to be 100% sure since there are so many variables with a 1/2 ton. If only we didn't truly love the truck so much....

So based on my numbers above, would you, in all honesty, be comfortable towing the 2400bh? We are pretty minimalist travelers, but I don't want to make the assumption that we'll be under the GVWR on the trailer, and the last thing we want is to sink thousands of dollars into a trailer that we don't feel safe towing.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do have the truck already...it just didn't have the sticker inside the door with the full info (other than payload), so I had to do it as a VIN lookup to be 100% sure since there are so many variables with a 1/2 ton. If only we didn't truly love the truck so much....

So based on my numbers above, would you, in all honesty, be comfortable towing the 2400bh? We are pretty minimalist travelers, but I don't want to make the assumption that we'll be under the GVWR on the trailer, and the last thing we want is to sink thousands of dollars into a trailer that we don't feel safe towing.
    Forum hint: when replying to someone in particular - especially when several are involved in the thread - use the "Reply With Quote" (as I have done here). That person will get a notification and everyone else will know whom you are addressing.

Personally, I wouldn't tow anything over 25 ft/7,000 lbs. with a half-ton vehicle. Ask me how I know...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Forum hint: when replying to someone in particular - especially when several are involved in the thread - use the "Reply With Quote" (as I have done here). That person will get a notification and everyone else will know whom you are addressing.

Personally, I wouldn't tow anything over 25 ft/7,000 lbs. with a half-ton vehicle. Ask me how I know...

Rob
    Thanks so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were a very similar situation with almost the same decisions to be made. We’re towing with a 2017 Tundra double cab, have 2 kids (13 and 9) and a small dog. We’re using a 4-point Equalizer hitch. We’re new to RV’ing but not to towing or camping in general. We went with the 2400BH in the end and I’ll try to explain why we did.

The Xplor 265 has one of the best, if not the best floor plan in a travel trailer out there. We loved the layout online and in person. I was dead set on buying one but when I went to look at it I was a little disappointed. Maybe the one I looked at was built and inspected on a Friday afternoon but it really seemed thrown together and there were a lot of issues both inside and outside. Very disappointing because we loved the layout so much. I also didn’t like the rollover couch in the 265, just wasn’t comfortable to me. The other thing I didn’t like was that the drain piping was hanging way down and I also realized that the drain valves were exposed making this more of a 3 season trailer or even shorter for me because I love camping a live in the mountains of NM (we still had a couple nights below freezing last week). Another thing was the way the frame, particularly the A-frame welds at the front of the trailer looked rushed and cold. Maybe it was just this one but still a lot of stuff that stood out to me.

The other floor plan we liked on line was the 243BH but I couldn’t find one near me to look at.

That same visit at the RV dealership, I then looked at the Imagine 2800BH. The build quality and fit and finish seemed so much better than the Transcend line and we both like the colors better. The axles are beefier and I like the design of the frame and the welds looked better. I also like the smooth sides and the drains are tucked up higher and the drain valves are enclosed making this closer to a 4 season trailer. I also like the outdoor kitchen. The entire trailer and floor just seemed better built and flexed less when I was checking it out. The roof is a little taller and has more of a barrel curve to it which makes it seem roomier.

The 2400BH has the same qualities but is shorter so you lose the couch. It also has lighter duty axles but I don’t see this as a problem because it is lighter than the 2800. We discussed our situation with each other and decided the couch wasn’t that big of a deal to us and we wanted to stay a little shorter on overall trailer length and of course stay a little lighter. I’m changing jobs this year and could possibly end up living out of this trailer, at least for a little while, until we settle on a new house and the family joins me.

Having towed and camped this combo a few times, once off-road boondocking, we’re happy with the decision we’ve made. Like the OP, we’re limited by payload first and foremost. I haven’t weighed my setup yet but it tows nice. I know it’s back there but I have no trouble pulling, stopping, controlling or maneuvering it. In fact, the day we brought it home (80 miles on I-40) there were some strong crosswinds but the trailer never swayed and I never felt like it was pushing me around. My truck doesn’t squat much with the tongue weight and levels out straight with the Equalizer hitch, with just 5 psi in the airbags (I added those for other loads/trailers I have). I don’t think the 2800 or the 265 would’ve gave my truck or myself much hassle but we would’ve been close, if not over our payload limit. We also went with a somewhat shorter trailer because of the length restrictions on some parks and campgrounds we are more likely to visit. On our first couple outings, we had plenty of room for us.

I really wish Grand Design would make the Transcend 265 floor plan in the Imagine line. I do know GD makes this floor plan in a 5th wheel platform (One of the reflection plans I believe) but that would’ve definitely pushed us over our payload limit (even though I see Tundras all the time pulling similar 5th wheel trailers). Maybe if/when I upgrade trucks in the future.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2719_heic-M.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	26860

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2724_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	26861
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab