User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melting outside speaker cover

The forward corner outside speaker cover just under the awning is MELTING. To the southwest, the heat bubbled and melted the black graphic and to the northeast it did the same thing. Attached are a few pictures to show you the damage. The blue ring light in the speakers (LED?) comes on when you turn on the outside lights. It should not generate enough heat at 12V to do this damage which is a fire risk. The speaker cover is seriously deformed.

Any ideas/comments would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.jpg   2a.jpg   1.jpg  

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't seem right. I would assume the lights are LED and they shouldn't create any heat. What is making them hot? The light being on or the music playing? I'd be scared of starting a fire.
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats definitely not normal. The lights are LED and don't produce heat. It really looks like a bad short that's arcing. This is how electrical fires start. Is your speaker working? I'd stop using the exterior speakers and lights until its fix.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would send these pictures to Grand Design Service , this is a definate safety issue. Also climb up there and disconnect it from the system, tape up the end of the wires until it can be figured out what is causing this
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m kind of inclined to think that’s either heat damage from an external source or maybe even chemical damage.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely looks like external heat source. Park it next to any lights up on a pole (say while stored)? If it were internal heat it would look different.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine don't look like that but they do sound crappy, so I'm going to replace them with larger speakers anyway.
    Disconnect them like WhittleBurner suggested...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s weird. I just removed mine as I didn’t use the speakers or useless lights in them. There are two 12v wires and two speaker wires attached in the rear. I would take it off as others have said and see if anything inside is amiss. I replaced mine with to additional motion lights last week. I would give you the ones I took off but GD will likely. More important of course is to figure it out.I would be interested if there is any sign of heat damage to the rear of it.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    That’s weird. I just removed mine as I didn’t use the speakers or useless lights in them. There are two 12v wires and two speaker wires attached in the rear. I would take it off as others have said and see if anything inside is amiss. I replaced mine with to additional motion lights last week. I would give you the ones I took off but GD will likely. More important of course is to figure it out.I would be interested if there is any sign of heat damage to the rear of it.
    I was wondering if 12V wire might have been put where speaker wire should be on @atanchor speaker, and if that would create a resistive load that could generate heat.

Of course the great care and precision of GD's factory tech's makes that unlikely and I don't know if putting 12V to a speaker magnet would generate much heat, especially without (apparently) damaging the cone much.

Is this crazy talk?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking it might be an external source too (Maybe a mirror from another vehicle in storage facility reflecting sunlight directly on it) but then I noticed that the graphics around that area seem to be OK. I would definitely disconnect it and contact Grand Design.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast