Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Andersen 3217

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    That's my worry, but, sadly, you're awesome modification isn't going to be a good idea on the Chevy. The safety mount points are under the diagonal-triangle piece of the hitch, and I definitely don't want to cut any of that off and weaken the hitch. If they were wider and under the flat rail part, like yours, then we'd be okay. It's annoying - just an inch or two one way or the other and the modification would be not needed or easy to do. It's like the perfect place to not be modifiable!
    I am returning my B&W ball and chain mounts and then went ahead and ordered these items from Anderson yesterday. Just going to have to live with the single point of failure for now:
    https://shop.andersenhitches.com/col...rsen-bed-shaft
    https://shop.andersenhitches.com/col...eel-connection
    https://shop.andersenhitches.com/col...ins-with-plate

**Note on ordering from Anderson. The message says they are running 4-6 weeks for shipping, due to Covid disruptions but things are shipping at a normal pace. I about had a heart attack with no hitch for that long, but already received confirmation things will be here Friday.
    Is anyone using that modified adaptor for a morryde rubber pin box? Rpb77-006 is the part number from morryde and both Andersen and morryde recommend it. It seems that many do not use it so wondering if any one is and if there is any reduction in the dampening capabilities of the pin box
    Paul,Judy and Ember
    2021 310gk
    2019 ram 3500 mega cab dually diesel
    Andersen hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience with AUH

Quote Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
    Well that’s the thing because I don’t have the truck yet it’s on order. Best as I can tell height to the top of the fifth wheel is 66 inches and my bed rails about 59 inches and the truck bed height is about 38 inches so it feels like I need about a 17 or an 18 inch height hitch. Height to pin box plate is about 55” so it seems like I don’t really need the 3217 and the lower one would fit under my a tonneau cover.

What I don’t know is whether I’ll be able to put the coupler behind or in front of the fifth wheel. Given I have a solitude I would really like the clearance with the Coupler in front of the king pin
    Interesting. My 2018 250 King Ranch has room for the cover when the hitch is in place, and I have the regular hitch (2019 model I think). While the cost of less than half was a consideration, if it had not fit and towed well, I would not have kept it.

It works well for us, we installed the connection collar as instructed, and you certainly could get an extra 6 inches if you turn it around. Just not sure that is good for towing? YMMV
    Mark and Amy Williams East Tennessee (Go VOLS), Retired and rollin'
    GD 303RLS (2020), Ford F250 King Ranch (2018), Brussel Sprout (fur baby co-pilot), Champion Inverter Hybrid Generator,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mentioned problems with AUH rotating in the bed, when coupled with the B&W gooseneck ball hitch.
    I returned that and added the Anderson anti-skid rubber mat and the Anderson bed shaft.

Happy to report this seems to have solved the issue. The Anderson bed shaft enabled me to crank the neck coupling down more, so the safety pin threads through the notch in the bed shaft a bit higher than with the B&W, where it was bottoming out and not able to cinch it down, which left just enough play-wiggle room for the AUH frame to rotate in the bed a bit.
    The notch in the Anderson shaft sits a little higher, so that takes up the slack. Now between a proper torque down to get everything snug and the rubber mat, everything feels much more solid now. Still haven't pulled the rig but I can tell by setting up the AUH that it all marries better. Good lesson to use parts from the same manufacturer.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 F350 CCSB and the older Andersen (as our truck was before they jacked them up a little). Here are a couple of thoughts:

1) We use the Andersen trailer blocks on the landing gear so we have enough stroke to lift off the ball. They can only be even more necessary with a taller setup.

2) The back of the pin box is a real threat to the bed rails (when turning) if you have the adapter ahead of the king pin. I have the adapter behind the king pin and I had a B&W turnover ball system installed as we weren't factory prepped for a fifth wheel. With the B&W system I bought their offset ball to move the fiver just a little further away from the cab. I still get nervous with some turns/backing, but it is better than before.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello to all, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Purchased the AUH 3220 with the Andersen bed ball and chains last February, yep right before the lockdowns. Anyway , I also have a 2020 Chevy 2500HD CC standard bed (6'9") pulling a 310GK w/ MORryde pin ( I know all the pin weight discussions, that’s for a different thread) . Started out with the coupler facing the truck cab and the hitch ball on the highest setting. The nose of the 310 was a little high & there was some chucking, but overall it was smooth. I had about 4-5" of clearance over the bed. After 4 months I decided to reverse the coupler & lower the hitch ball down one setting, this put the pin box inside the bed, less chucking, much smoother ride & the pin box does not hit the bed, I can almost do 90. After a few pulls, I lowered the hitch ball to the lowest setting. Rig is almost level, no chucking, really smooth ride.
    For KRETZER, I purchased the MORryde adapter plate. It has an extra 1/8" steel in the middle. It is only the bottom plate of the pin box that gets replaced, all other part remain. MORryde & GD said I had to have so not to void the warranty.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210301_084635791_BURST001.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	32455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210301_085742916_HDR.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	32456

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have on order a 2021 GMC 3500, from my understanding the 3217 is only recommended for trucks that have bed rails atleast 21.5" deep/high. The 2021 bedrail sits at 21" high (owners can check me on that) and therefore 3217 would not be necessary. Also Anderson says you cant use abed cover with the 3217 when installed which IMO is a huge CON on the 3217.
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    I have on order a 2021 GMC 3500, from my understanding the 3217 is only recommended for trucks that have bed rails atleast 21.5" deep/high. The 2021 bedrail sits at 21" high (owners can check me on that) and therefore 3217 would not be necessary. Also Anderson says you cant use abed cover with the 3217 when installed which IMO is a huge CON on the 3217.
    I suggest you call Anderson, as I did. For my '21 Chevy 3500HD, the 3217 is the recommended hitch. I assume it is same for GM as the bed should be identical between the Silverados and Sierras. I don't recall who it was, but someone here made the mistake of buying the 3220, I believe it is, and then had to try to sell it because it's too low.

The 3217 is designed specifically for the new Chevy/GM HDs, per the Anderson rep I spoke with.

Here’s my setup just now, with the spray on OEM bed liner, I’m 21.25” rail height. The AUH ball at the middle setting was just a hair high, so bottom looks spot on level, but there are only a few inches between all 3. The problem with the lower hitch is you will be on highest setting an no more wiggle room if still too low.
    Argh, sorry for the sidways pics, no idea why they upload that way!

Also - I highly recommend getting the Anderson bed shaft and safety chain coupler the shaft goes through. Yes, it's a single-point of failure but the AUH is perfectly designed to cover all 4 OEM puck safety chain mount points and there's no good way to modify, IMO, without compromising the integrity of the AUH. I also added the Anderson bed antislip mat and this configuration is way more snug and secure feeling than the B&W ball I started with. Don't waste money on a gooseneck ball and safety chain package - you can't use them anyway.

Name:	E66A671E-0B45-4325-B47E-7FD8183FCAA0.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	32465

Name:	3AB274B9-3864-4C60-A1E0-8AB1F095707F.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	731.8 KB 
ID:	32466

Name:	3F709E68-2A9F-442E-A5C8-F6887D5F2423.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	32467
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 46EB732B-C6D0-4BFC-8FDD-3A66DBB3A613.jpeg   DABF345D-A47B-4364-BECA-EC5B1E11FAA7.jpeg  
    Last edited by JM0397; 03-03-2021 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Pics
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lmao, can’t win for loosing on those photos going upright!

FWIW, here's first hitch at the dealer 2 weeks ago. AUH 3217 set to middle height. I've since moved it to bottom setting BUT added the antislip mat, which is a 1/4" thick. I need to get the full rig on a level surface and check it against middle setting. It pulled great but looked just a hair high, IMO, hence why I bumped it down 1.
    Note the rig is completely empty in these pics.
    I have the long bed, so that's with the AUH coupler in the reversed position.

Also, to answer your main question, I just measured. AUH on the antiskid mat and on lowest setting is 18.75" tall so would fit under a cover. If you worry about it, you could also just pop the ball off the top - it's secured with an single pin - and get yourself plenty of wiggle room.

Name:	Rig1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	32468

Name:	Rig2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	32469
    Last edited by JM0397; 03-03-2021 at 09:53 AM.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a tonneau cover? doesn’t appear in the pictures. Was gonna ask you if you can close the tonneau cover at all or if you removed the ball would it close. I truely wouldn’t want this set up if I couldnt close my tonneau cover when not towing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    Do you have a tonneau cover? doesn’t appear in the pictures. Was gonna ask you if you can close the tonneau cover at all or if you removed the ball would it close. I truely wouldn’t want this set up if I couldnt close my tonneau cover when not towing.
    Just edited my posts - realized I hadn't answered the main question.
    AUH on the skidpad on lowest setting is still only 18.75" high, and you can gain another 4-5" if you pop out the ball.
    Still need to add a cover myself but haven't gotten around to ordering on yet.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast