Thread: Andersen 3217

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen 3217

Hello All

We have ordered a 2021 F350 srw ccsb. As I am very close to my cargo capacity I am wanting to use the Anderson hitch which on the website they refer to the 3217 for the newer trucks. Anyone using the 3217? Would love to get any insights as it is pretty high and the website refers to unnecessary torque or something so wondering if it really is a good option. I am thinking the higher Anderson will allow me to put the coupler forward of the king pin and giving me a little more cab clearance and maybe solving for the bed rail issue that sometimes occurs

I can certainly use the pullrite superglide but I think that will bring me over my cargo capacity by maybe 50 to 100 pounds.

Any insights would certainly appreciate it
    Paul,Judy and Ember
    2021 310gk
    2019 ram 3500 mega cab dually diesel
    Andersen hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have new everything, including the higher AUH 3217, first tow just yesterday.
    It works great, plenty of clearance on the middle setting, might even be able to drop it one.
    Simple to install. My only complaint, and this is for GM/Chevy, is the hitch obstructs all 4 factory puck system safety chain mount points, so no I need to figure out where the chains are going to go.
    If you don’t have a gooseneck ball yet, consider buying one with the integrated eyeholes for safety chains. Not sure if Ford has same problem, only a few inches one way or the other and the factory holes would be fine.
    Otherwise it’s a great option if you want your bed free when not towing.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    We have new everything, including the higher AUH 3217, first tow just yesterday.
    It works great, plenty of clearance on the middle setting, might even be able to drop it one.
    Simple to install. My only complaint, and this is for GM/Chevy, is the hitch obstructs all 4 factory puck system safety chain mount points, so no I need to figure out where the chains are going to go.
    If you don’t have a gooseneck ball yet, consider buying one with the integrated eyeholes for safety chains. Not sure if Ford has same problem, only a few inches one way or the other and the factory holes would be fine.
    Otherwise it’s a great option if you want your bed free when not towing.
    Thanks Colin

Is you rig level using the hitch?
    Paul,Judy and Ember
    2021 310gk
    Andersen hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
    Thanks Colin

Is you rig level using the hitch?
    On the middle of 3 options I think it’s riding a hair high in the nose but that could just be my newbie learning curve. Going to get it on a level surface and check today.
    FWIW, I believe I could hitch/unhitch with the tailgate up (not that I will even try) so the higher AUH is doing what it’s supposed to and gives plenty of clearance.
    What’s your clearance, Clarance?
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    On the middle of 3 options I think it’s riding a hair high in the nose but that could just be my newbie learning curve. Going to get it on a level surface and check today.
    FWIW, I believe I could hitch/unhitch with the tailgate up (not that I will even try) so the higher AUH is doing what it’s supposed to and gives plenty of clearance.
    What’s your clearance, Clarance?
    Well that’s the thing because I don’t have the truck yet it’s on order. Best as I can tell height to the top of the fifth wheel is 66 inches and my bed rails about 59 inches and the truck bed height is about 38 inches so it feels like I need about a 17 or an 18 inch height hitch. Height to pin box plate is about 55” so it seems like I don’t really need the 3217 and the lower one would fit under my a tonneau cover.

What I don’t know is whether I’ll be able to put the coupler behind or in front of the fifth wheel. Given I have a solitude I would really like the clearance with the Coupler in front of the king pin
    Paul,Judy and Ember
    2021 310gk
    Andersen hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
    Well that’s the thing because I don’t have the truck yet it’s on order. Best as I can tell height to the top of the fifth wheel is 66 inches and my bed rails about 59 inches and the truck bed height is about 38 inches so it feels like I need about a 17 or an 18 inch height hitch. Height to pin box plate is about 55” so it seems like I don’t really need the 3217 and the lower one would fit under my a tonneau cover.

What I don’t know is whether I’ll be able to put the coupler behind or in front of the fifth wheel. Given I have a solitude I would really like the clearance with the Coupler in front of the king pin
    Maybe wait on the truck.
    Also call Anderson support tomorrow - they are helpful and knowledgeable - that’s what I did just to confirm. That’s a $1000 mistake if you get the wrong one!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 F350 SRW and a Solitude 385 GKR. I have the original AUH with a Bakflip bed cover and airlift airbags. I use the middle setting ball height on the AUH. And I have 7 inches of bed rail clearance with no problems turning 80 degrees with the bakflip cover. I think the original AUH will work for you. The AUH web site said you cannot use a bed cover with the new higher AUH. It’s all person choice and you won’t go wrong either way. I love the AUH after towing 6000 miles last year. Best of luck!
    2020 Solitude 385 GK R
    2019 F-350 Diesel King Ranch SRW
    Load Lifter 5000 lb Air Lift Airbags

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS. My coupler is in front of the king pin.
    2020 Solitude 385 GK R
    2019 F-350 Diesel King Ranch SRW
    Load Lifter 5000 lb Air Lift Airbags

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
    I have a 2019 F350 SRW and a Solitude 385 GKR. I have the original AUH with a Bakflip bed cover and airlift airbags. I use the middle setting ball height on the AUH. And I have 7 inches of bed rail clearance with no problems turning 80 degrees with the bakflip cover. I think the original AUH will work for you. The AUH web site said you cannot use a bed cover with the new higher AUH. It’s all person choice and you won’t go wrong either way. I love the AUH after towing 6000 miles last year. Best of luck!
    Careful making this recommendation. I went so far as to call Anderson to ensure I get the correct hitch. Starting with the 2020 models, the 3217 is the recommended hitch due to several manufacturers increasing the bed height a bit from the 2019 & earlier models. Per Anderson, you are correct for up to 2019, but incorrect for 2020 trucks.

I don't recall who, but there is at least 1 person here on the forum that bought the 3220 hitch and had to then buy a 3217 and try to sell the brand new but unusable 3220 hitch.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BEWARE!..... THE 2020 Model year recommendation to use the 3217 is only for GM trucks according to the Andersen site, not Ford trucks.

http://download1481.mediafire.com/q2...20_Low_Res.pdf

I have a 3220 that I’ve used on my 2017, 2019 and 2020 F350. The truck beds are identical. There is no difference in the 2020 F250 short bed compared to the 2017 and 2019. In fact I transferred the BedRug Bedliner between all 3 trucks and they fit like a glove.

Now Ford did lower the rear suspension on the 2020 model year by about 1-2” with shorter blocks on the rear springs but the bed has exactly the same interior dimensions, so the original 3220 Andersen works fine.

I have 7-1/2” clearance from the top of bed rail to the trailer, with the Andersen set at the middle height.

I have my coupler mounted in the”reverse” position to allow clearance when in sharp turns.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 02-22-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast