With our 31G being right at the weight rating and following several discussions about such here and on the FB groups, I am pondering these weight ratings.

I see 5er's like the G class Momentum's that are rated for 16,800lbs. yet they only have 7k axles. And then there is the G series travel trailer style toy haulers that once you get to the 28G are all rated for 12,000lbs. and have 6k axles.

I understand the 5er's subtract the pin weight from the GVWR and thus supports the rating with axles less than that rating but why not the same for the TT style trailers? Our 31G has 1600lbs on the tongue dry. I've seen numbers up around 2000lbs with full water tanks and nothing in the garage. Do the same principals not apply here as they do in the 5er's?

I've searched high and low to try and determine what the LCI 10" I beam chassis used on our 31G is rated for to no avail. Any insight on that number would be greatly appreciated also.

I realize the factory rating is the rating and nothing will change that. I'm just trying to understand why they are rated as they are as it seems logical to me that the same principals would be in play between the 2 styles of trailers but obviously they are not.

Thanks in advance for any insight.