User Tag List

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel weight ratings vs TT style weight ratings...

With our 31G being right at the weight rating and following several discussions about such here and on the FB groups, I am pondering these weight ratings.

I see 5er's like the G class Momentum's that are rated for 16,800lbs. yet they only have 7k axles. And then there is the G series travel trailer style toy haulers that once you get to the 28G are all rated for 12,000lbs. and have 6k axles.

I understand the 5er's subtract the pin weight from the GVWR and thus supports the rating with axles less than that rating but why not the same for the TT style trailers? Our 31G has 1600lbs on the tongue dry. I've seen numbers up around 2000lbs with full water tanks and nothing in the garage. Do the same principals not apply here as they do in the 5er's?

I've searched high and low to try and determine what the LCI 10" I beam chassis used on our 31G is rated for to no avail. Any insight on that number would be greatly appreciated also.

I realize the factory rating is the rating and nothing will change that. I'm just trying to understand why they are rated as they are as it seems logical to me that the same principals would be in play between the 2 styles of trailers but obviously they are not.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not likely to find any numbers for the chassis alone. The GVWR for the unit is determined by a combination of things: chassis construction, suspension attachments (spring hangers, etc.), suspension components like springs, axles, etc. My guess is that the chassis are capable of more. A good example is the Solitude 310GK. With the basic 7K axles and drum brakes, the GVWR sticker says 15,000 lbs. GVWR. Upgrading to 8K axles with disk brakes and 17.5" load range H tires yields a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. (I think) - without any modification of the chassis. A lot of variables in the equation.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You're not likely to find any numbers for the chassis alone. The GVWR for the unit is determined by a combination of things: chassis construction, suspension attachments (spring hangers, etc.), suspension components like springs, axles, etc. My guess is that the chassis are capable of more. A good example is the Solitude 310GK. With the basic 7K axles and drum brakes, the GVWR sticker says 15,000 lbs. GVWR. Upgrading to 8K axles with disk brakes and 17.5" load range H tires yields a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. (I think) - without any modification of the chassis. A lot of variables in the equation.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. I appreciate the input. I certainly want to be safe. I do wish that GD would put 7k axles under these large G class TT style toy haulers assuming the chassis is sufficient.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Thanks Rob. I appreciate the input. I certainly want to be safe. I do wish that GD would put 7k axles under these large G class TT style toy haulers assuming the chassis is sufficient.
    You might contact Grand Design and see what they say. The larger "G" class with the 7K lb axles, are easily overloaded with a moderate weight toy and water. I guess enough have complained that as of about a month ago, they are now offering 8K lb axles as an option.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    You might contact Grand Design and see what they say. The larger "G" class with the 7K lb axles, are easily overloaded with a moderate weight toy and water. I guess enough have complained that as of about a month ago, they are now offering 8K lb axles as an option.
    I would imagine it's a dollar and sense deal. Adding the 7k axles, springs etc... will make the cost higher. It's not terribly far to a G class 5th wheel from where these trailers are now. I'm sure they don't want to be any nearer the 5th wheel price point.

My opinion is that these trailers will be fine as long as we stay around 12K on the axles. Problem is the dang sticker says 12k GVWR not just on the axles. I'm adding the CRE3000 and wet bolt kit to soften the ride a bit. The Goodyear Endurance tires are rated for 3420 each so some measure of room there.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X