User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer and tow vehicle internet setup

So I installed the Pepwave MAX Transit CAT 18 cellular modem and Puma 401 antenna with an AT&T plan. After 2,750 miles from central Texas to Sacramento, CA and part way to Las Vegas i can declare victory on having reasonable reliable internet in the tow vehicle and trailer. The router is mounted on the inside of the front cap in my "closet" and reaches the kids in the tow vehicle no problem. They did two days of virtual distance learning at 65 mph with video (receiving,I had them turn off broadcast to preserve bandwidth). Then were times when we were in the middle of nowhere without cell signal, but in general it worked great.

I tapped into the 12V power to the USB ports in my bed cubby so it would run while being towed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201130_114147_2 (2).jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	30946

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice setup and install. I purchased the same modem a few months ago and used it this summer while on the road. It worked great!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on purchase of a pepwave bundle but am concerned about how to subscribe to service. What have people chosen and from whom? Mobilemusthave.com does sell an AT&T sim but it is a 30 to 45 day wait period for some reason. What other options????

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined and scoured this site...they have all the info you need...to include the latest on providers
    https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
    South Central Texas
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raife1 View Post
    I joined and scoured this site...they have all the info you need...to include the latest on providers
    https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
    Yep - I've looked over almost that whole site as well as looking at the providers listed on this page: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gea...-rental-plans/

I'm wondering what kind of experience people have had with their service provider either listed on that page or not. None of them look to be "big" providers and my concern is that some could be fraudulent (the site actually says there is no endorsement just that they are confirmed to be selling AT&T). I've also emailed the folks at mobilemusthave as they appear to sell a plan but it has a 30-45 day wait. Maybe they have a recommendation.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those looking at data plans, determining which one you need requires determining how much data you need and how much coverage redundancy you need (and can afford).

T-mobile has a $55/month plan with 100gb of data a month. If you are not streaming hours and hours of HD video, that amount would suffice for many/most users. The other carriers will eventually come out with similar plans if T-mobile continues to expand this offer (it's a limited time thing)

The other plans (such as Mobile Must have and such) that are "unlimited" are third party resellers that have purchased grandfathered plans and are reselling them. These are a gamble and there are a finite amount of them (hence the 30-45 day wait... a subscriber must leave before another can join).

Redundancy is the best reliability, but the most expensive one, too. I need reliability so I have access to the major cellular companies (pink, red & blue).

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    For those looking at data plans, determining which one you need requires determining how much data you need and how much coverage redundancy you need (and can afford).

T-mobile has a $55/month plan with 100gb of data a month. If you are not streaming hours and hours of HD video, that amount would suffice for many/most users. The other carriers will eventually come out with similar plans if T-mobile continues to expand this offer (it's a limited time thing)

The other plans (such as Mobile Must have and such) that are "unlimited" are third party resellers that have purchased grandfathered plans and are reselling them. These are a gamble and there are a finite amount of them (hence the 30-45 day wait... a subscriber must leave before another can join).

Redundancy is the best reliability, but the most expensive one, too. I need reliability so I have access to the major cellular companies (pink, red & blue).

It took quite a bit of reading but I finally came to the same understanding as the above. I haven't seen the T-mobile plan you're referring to but that might be a good option as a backup. Where did you see it listed?

As for the resellers - any suggestion on which are reputable? As stated, there are many of them listed on the rvmobileinternet site. I am leaning towards No Limit Data. Anyone have any experience with them???

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve95628 View Post
    I haven't seen the T-mobile plan you're referring to but that might be a good option as a backup. Where did you see it listed?
    It's not very well advertised which leads me to believe it's just a test run or a very slow roll out as they improve the 5G network with the Sprint merge AND can handle the data bandwidth. You have to call as there is no online portal to order. I found the link through my business account portal, although I don't believe you have to be a business customer, YMMV.

https://www.t-mobile.com/business/of...ness-deals-hub

Quote Originally Posted by steve95628 View Post
    As for the resellers - any suggestion on which are reputable? As stated, there are many of them listed on the rvmobileinternet site. I am leaning towards No Limit Data. Anyone have any experience with them???
    I am currently in the queue for MobileMustHave which seems to have partnered with a reseller that knows how to stay under the big blue [emoji289] radar. It's a little pricey AND you can only use devices purchased through MobileMustHave (they will verify IMEI).

I have also researched Gypsy and several others. They have been around a decent amount of time, have actual hours and customer service, and semi-legiit practices with decent prices.

What I have done is contact the customer service department for the ones I was looking at. That response time, ability to answer questions, and the over all professionalism of the representative AND the website itself is what I was rating then off of. Websites are not cheap run CORRECTLY and professionally so it's a good indicator of an established business.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Peplink Balance20x and Puma antenna over the summer from Mobile Must Have and got their ATT plan. It’s been great so far. The Mobile Must Have ATT plan has been capped to 500GB and they will cut you off it you go over. As a backup I bought the T-Mobile 100GB plan pre-paid and it works great in my Balance 20x.

I can’t recommend being a paid member enough, https://www.rvmobileinternet.com

Their membership discounts paid for the paid membership.

‘21 Momentum 31G

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else to consider - starlink is coming along and is supposed to serve lattitudes <45 deg sometime early this year.
    I'm kind of holding out for that & just using the Winegard Gateway (cat 2?) with the pre-installed AIR 360+ antenna for now.

https://www.satelliteinternet.com/re...-beta-sign-up/
    signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast