Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surge Protectors and Air Compressors

Hello Forum,
    We will be taking delivery of our 2020 S-Class 3350 from the dealership in early April and will be heading out to a KOA for a little shake down. I am hoping to solicit opinions/recommendations on surge protectors and a portable air compressor. My initial research suggests that the Southwire Surge Guard 34951 and the Viair compressor are good choices. All responses will be greatly appreciated and I will respond to each in turn. Thank you in advance.
    Annie n Leo
    UPSTATE, NY
    2020 S-Class 3350
    2020 GMC SIERRA DENALI 3500 CC Shortbox SRW 4x4, 6.6L DURAMAX/Allison 10 speed 3.42 gears

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koda61 View Post
    Hello Forum,
    We will be taking delivery of our 2020 S-Class 3350 from the dealership in early April and will be heading out to a KOA for a little shake down. I am hoping to solicit opinions/recommendations on surge protectors and a portable air compressor. My initial research suggests that the Southwire Surge Guard 34951 and the Viair compressor are good choices. All responses will be greatly appreciated and I will respond to each in turn. Thank you in advance.
    Welcome to the group. A popular brand on here for the surge protector is Progressive Industries. They have a great product and service. The Viair compressor is also very popular here and comes with great reviews. We have the Progressive Industries and love it. I only wish I had gone with the hardwired version. Just less trouble and no worry to have it stolen. For the compressor, I use the Milwaukee M12 compressor for now. Its also been great.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Forum,
    Congrats we also have the 3350RL and absolutely love it. We are very glad we got ours before they discontinued it. We weathered out the Texas winter storm and it did great no frozen pipes or tanks, and we were running a generator for three days.
    We installed the Progressive Industries hardwired unit a long time ago and it has really saved us. I installed the unit behind the coat closet panel. We also use the Viair for tires but it doesn't have enough pressure to blow out the water lines when winterizing if you need to do that.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steph n Lise,
    Thank you for your response. The reason I was thinking Southwire was because they have a remote Bluetooth module that provides real time electrical feed back at a glance. I heard that Progressive was on the same level. We are thinking remote unit, so if we ever change trailers it comes with us with no fuss. You know the dealership isn’t going to give you any extra on trade in value if hardwired. Glad to hear that Viair has a good reputation. Amazon has both. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
    Annie n Leo
    UPSTATE, NY
    2020 S-Class 3350
    2020 GMC SIERRA DENALI 3500 CC Shortbox SRW 4x4, 6.6L DURAMAX/Allison 10 speed 3.42 gears

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Steve n Tami,
    So glad to hear that your 3350RL shined during the storm. That definitely is a testament to the quality of the product. We are currently thinking a portable unit so we can take it to another trailer if we ever decide to purchase another trailer. Should I decide to hardwire now I know where to put it. I had hoped the Viair would be enough to blow the lines. Which model do you have, if you don’t mind my asking? Thanh you for your reply.
    Annie n Leo
    UPSTATE, NY
    2020 S-Class 3350

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steph n Lise,
    Thank you for your response. The reason I was thinking Southwire was because they have a remote Bluetooth module that provides real time electrical feed back at a glance. I heard that Progressive was on the same level. We are thinking remote unit, so if we ever change trailers it comes with us with no fuss. You know the dealership isn’t going to give you any extra on trade in value if hardwired. Glad to hear that Viair has a good reputation. Amazon has both. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
    My pleasure, I agree that the portable is easier to move around and that the dealer won't give you much on a trade in for the hardwired but you could always remove it before trading in. Install and uninstall once as opposed to lock it up every time. If you still go portable, make sure to always lock it on the pole. They can be very tempting for some.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Hughes surge protector. Has Bluetooth plus if ever a surge knocked it out the only thing you need to replace is a module in it

https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...ge-protectors/

Use a very strong Vair you can blow out your water, can inflate up to 150 psi. Just be careful shooting that much into you pex system

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/400p-auto
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Steve n Tami,
    So glad to hear that your 3350RL shined during the storm. That definitely is a testament to the quality of the product. We are currently thinking a portable unit so we can take it to another trailer if we ever decide to purchase another trailer. Should I decide to hardwire now I know where to put it. I had hoped the Viair would be enough to blow the lines. Which model do you have, if you don’t mind my asking? Thanh you for your reply.
    Good Morning. Our Viair is the 400PRV. It's 12vdc and I just clamp it on the truck battery. It came with two interconnecting air hoses that could probably stretch around the RV. It can pump air over 100 psi and I usually carry 105 psi in each RV tire. Once I completely deflated my spare truck tire that normally holds 80 psi and aired up with the Viair. It took a few minutes but it did fine. It doesn't have a tank so it does not have the capacity to blow out water lines if that is one of the functions you need it to do. Before we went fulltime, I never blow out our water lines for winterizing, I just pumped RV antifreeze through all the lines. I did install a water separator on the output to keep moisture out of the tires. Anyway it works great. I know a lot of people just get one of those pancake compressors.

On an EMS. There are several on the market. I liked the Progressive Industries hard wired HW50. One reason I didn't get the external one is that the RV connection is not waterproof. The flapper door that covers the RV plug when connected is the weak link, its not guaranteed to keep water out of the connection. Securing it to the power post would have been easy but I just didn't like the fact that it wasn't totally waterproof. One advantage of the external one is that it can protect your power all the way into your RV from the power post, through the power cord and RV connection. But then again I have read only once that someone had problems with their power cord or power connection on the RV.

Now with the hardwired one, I installed it in such a way that I can easily remove it if we were ever to get a new RV. Probably take me @ 40 minutes start to finish to deinstall it by just removing the interior coat closet back wall, 4 screws. I also installed the power monitor in the coat closet so I don't have to run outside to look at the readings. I detailed my installation on this forum so you could search for it if you wanted. I did not cut the existing RV power line to install it, I got an extra 3 foot piece of wire added to the output to connect into the breaker panel.

I would get whichever unit your comfortable with, but my advice is get one, it has saved us from low voltage at campgrounds. It will not allow power into the RV unless its stable and now with RVs having more and more electronics, the last thing we need is burned up control boards. Also running on an inverter generator, even though they are well regulated, when boondocking or in an emergency situation, EMS units really protect your RV.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-23-2021 at 07:22 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Now with the hardwired one, I installed it in such a way that I can easily remove it if we were ever to get a new RV. Probably take me @ 40 minutes start to finish to deinstall it by just removing the interior coat closet back wall, 4 screws. I also installed the power monitor in the coat closet so I don't have to run outside to look at the readings. I detailed my installation on this forum so you could search for it if you wanted. I did not cut the existing RV power line to install it, I got an extra 3 foot piece of wire added to the output to connect into the breaker panel.
    Our Progressive Industries HW50C is permanently mounted. We don’t ever expect to change trailers again - but if I were considering the downside is install, uninstall for that reason, I would have used a system of 50A connectors to install the unit so that it was plugged in between two 50A connectors inside my service bay. Essentially wire the unit with a pigtail made from 50A main cable at each end, do same with male / female connectors terminating cut ends on main 50A cord. Unplug, remove, plug cable ends back together, walk away...

Re: compressor. I use a small rollaway two tank Husky brand compressor from Home Depot. Compact and easy to tote and roll around (sturdy tubular telescoping handle like a rolling carry-on piece of luggage). Powerful enough to deliver 150 psi. I use it for my 110 psi tires, to blow out lines and run air powered tools.
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have the Hughes EMS hardwired. Like the replaceable surge module also.

No fancy air pump for me. I run the Makita 18v cordless. I have many of the cordless tools they make so why not. Besides I have nothing that remotely needs 120 psi inflation. I mostly use it on my air bags on the truck for work.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast