User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lighted Switch/dimmer Question

I am about to replace my main overhead light switch and awing switch with the popular dimmer switch mod. I bought the switches and the adapter plates then remembered I have the lighted switch in my 295RL. I haven't started the actual swap yet but would like to know how to properly eliminate the light portion of the switch wiring. Just unplug and tape off wires? Thanks in advance to those who have dealt with this before.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lighted switch should have 3 wires. The third wire for the lighted switch should just be a ground. You can check for voltage after the switch is out and tape it off or otherwise secure it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodwrench View Post
    I am about to replace my main overhead light switch and awing switch with the popular dimmer switch mod. I bought the switches and the adapter plates then remembered I have the lighted switch in my 295RL. I haven't started the actual swap yet but would like to know how to properly eliminate the light portion of the switch wiring. Just unplug and tape off wires? Thanks in advance to those who have dealt with this before.
    I just did this with my blue main cabin rocker switch. There are three wires on the back of the switch. The white wire (on mine) was ground. I switched the other two connections. Now the blue light is on when the lights are on and off when the lights are off. Exactly what I wanted.

So determine which wire is ground, in my case it was the white wire that ran to all the other lighted (red) switches. I then swapped the remaining two connections on the back of the blue lighted switch.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to both of you for responding. Now I am sure I will not have any problems with the wiring. Just to let you know, I received the switch panel filler plates today from Marty Robinson who makes them on his 3 D printer just for this mod. In fact, he may be the one who came up with the whole idea since he has an old Utube video on how to do it. If anyone wants to replace their light switches in the main control panel with dimmers, look up the project on Utube (RV Dimmers) and you will see how simple it is to do. A parts list with part numbers and info on the filler plates are there too.
    Again, a special shout out to Marty who took my order during that terrible Texas winter storm and got the parts out to me after emailing me to tell me there would be a delay because he had no power and haden't seen the mailman for days! Great guy!
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodwrench View Post
    Thanks to both of you for responding. Now I am sure I will not have any problems with the wiring. Just to let you know, I received the switch panel filler plates today from Marty Robinson who makes them on his 3 D printer just for this mod. In fact, he may be the one who came up with the whole idea since he has an old Utube video on how to do it. If anyone wants to replace their light switches in the main control panel with dimmers, look up the project on Utube (RV Dimmers) and you will see how simple it is to do. A parts list with part numbers and info on the filler plates are there too.
    Again, a special shout out to Marty who took my order during that terrible Texas winter storm and got the parts out to me after emailing me to tell me there would be a delay because he had no power and haden't seen the mailman for days! Great guy!
    I got 2 dimmers and plates. 1 for the ceiling light and the other for the awning light. I just ran out of time last fall to do this mod before having to winterize. Come spring they'll get done.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mine last year about this time. One of the best upgrades I've ever done.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you source the dimmer switches? I've found some but they are like $35 each.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    Where did you source the dimmer switches? I've found some but they are like $35 each.
    Order the switches on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They are available in black knob, silver, and bronze. Be sure they are the long shaft version. Order the filler plates required from Marty Robinson <[email protected]>. Total cost for 2 switches and filler plates was about $75.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you I appreciate your help
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it was a little cheaper buying directly from PCA https://www.pca.com/marketplace/lighting/

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast