User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing with a Lexus LX570?

Hi,

New here. We are looking at getting our first trailer and very interested in Grand Design. We've looked in person quite a bit and will be somewhere in the Imagine/XLS range simply due to weight. We were interested in a 26' Imagine, but the weight was too much. Now we're looking at the XLS 23BHE. I'm curious if you'd have any concerns with that being towed by our 2013 LX570?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZExplorer View Post
    Hi,

New here. We are looking at getting our first trailer and very interested in Grand Design. We've looked in person quite a bit and will be somewhere in the Imagine/XLS range simply due to weight. We were interested in a 26' Imagine, but the weight was too much. Now we're looking at the XLS 23BHE. I'm curious if you'd have any concerns with that being towed by our 2013 LX570?
    Probably not what you are going to want to hear but...

We have a 2011 Mercedes GL450. It is "rated" to tow 7500 lbs. We have been towing a small travel trailer with GVW of 6500 with it, with a weight distributing hitch, etc. Probably have rarely had the thing loaded near gross weight. Have been careful to manage speed, etc.

But reality is, if you actually look at the GVW of the tow vehicle, and the impact of having it loaded with some people and the tongue weight, I can all but guarantee you will be overloaded. In our case, it ate the transfer case in about 6k miles of towing.

Previously I have experienced transmission failure in a 1/2 ton pickup.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no business towing an RV regularly with anything less than a 3/4 ton or larger pickup or SUV (we had a 3/4 ton suburban for a while). Everything else will just be a ticking time bomb, even if it can be done "safely".

Just my conclusions after 25+ years of towing stuff...

Steve
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum
    2019 Starcraft Mossy Oak 26BH - Getting ready to sell!
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think you would have any issues towing something like a XLS 23 with your LX. They’re built on the same platform as the Land Cruiser and rated to tow 7k lbs. The LX has the same 5.7 and transmission as the tundra. I have no issues towing my 2400 BH with my Tundra. I would take some time setting the WD hitch properly at a truck scale though. Take it slow and easy and enjoy your trip!
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab