Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think?

I have been planning/researching RVs for about a year. I started out looking for an inexpensive toy hauler and soon realized I would be camping alone as my wife would prefer staying in hotels ( not high end but family type). So I moved up to better units like Momentum, work and play, and Adrenaline. Then as I went through 40-50 different Brands and manufacturers I purchased a couple Buyers guides and got on several blog /sites I began questioning how where and what i would be using it for. It comes down to occasionally hauling the Harley or a side by side, but mostly traveling to see national parks and visiting grandchildren out west. So I have decided on a half-ton fifth wheel with a hitch for double hooking maybe 5-10 %. I have Identified 3 that we believe would work for us, Reflection 260RD, Durango 259RLD, and Cougar 24RDS. I can pull them with my F150 5Ltr 373 gears and 1848 payload capacity locally for a year before upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck before heading out of the Michigan area.What I would like to hear from you are opinions or comparisons of these three units (realizing the site I am on),and what you think of my process and choices. Also do any of you know a reputable reflection 150 dealer that might have one that I could step inside as the 260RD seems to be hard to find and I would like to avoid General RV because I personally know 3 people who have had very bad experiences there. I plan to order one to have delivery this summer to prepare for next years Nationwide adventure! What do you Think!!!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackintheup View Post
    I have been planning/researching RVs for about a year. I started out looking for an inexpensive toy hauler and soon realized I would be camping alone as my wife would prefer staying in hotels ( not high end but family type).... for double hooking maybe 5-10 %. What do you Think!!!
    Wow, that was alot. The particular RV and truck combo you are looking for is a very personal decision. I can only say that floor plans are what drew us to all of the RV's that we owned. The best floor plan for our intended purposes. Then choose the truck that gets the job done safely. Our needs have changed over the years and our equipment reflects those decisions.

Once your wife realizes that she does not have to pack and unpack daily while traveling she will be more into it. Then add the nights you don't have to listen to the neighbors tv till 3 am and being able to sleep in her own bed with her own pillow; it won't take long for her to rethink the whole camping thing. Not to mention being able to prepare ones own meals vs covid infested resteraunts. I don't particularly believe the last part of that statement, but's it's a good selling point.

Double/Triple towing. Know before you go. When we were ready to hit the road I had visions of triple towing a small 1k motorcycle trailer behind my 5th wheel. Then I found out the states that do not allow that, many of which we planned on visiting. So if you do decide to go down that route be sure to check the state regs on what you intend. Our answer to the problem was a Momentum 376, it allowed us to have full living area for our full time rv lifestyle and retain a small garage to put out motorcycle's in. Just choices, you will find your answer in time.

Welcome to nationwide travel, we are in our 10th year of fulltiming and about our 5th lap around the US and Canada. It has been a great adventure and very full filling to our inquisitive natures.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Wow, that was alot. The particular RV and truck combo you are looking for is a very personal decision. I can only say that floor plans are what drew us to all of the RV's that we owned. The best floor plan for our intended purposes. Then choose the truck that gets the job done safely. Our needs have changed over the years and our equipment reflects those decisions.

Once your wife realizes that she does not have to pack and unpack daily while traveling she will be more into it. Then add the nights you don't have to listen to the neighbors tv till 3 am and being able to sleep in her own bed with her own pillow; it won't take long for her to rethink the whole camping thing. Not to mention being able to prepare ones own meals vs covid infested resteraunts. I don't particularly believe the last part of that statement, but's it's a good selling point.

Double/Triple towing. Know before you go. When we were ready to hit the road I had visions of triple towing a small 1k motorcycle trailer behind my 5th wheel. Then I found out the states that do not allow that, many of which we planned on visiting. So if you do decide to go down that route be sure to check the state regs on what you intend. Our answer to the problem was a Momentum 376, it allowed us to have full living area for our full time rv lifestyle and retain a small garage to put out motorcycle's in. Just choices, you will find your answer in time.

Welcome to nationwide travel, we are in our 10th year of fulltiming and about our 5th lap around the US and Canada. It has been a great adventure and very full filling to our inquisitive natures.
    Thanks for the heads up on double Hook! I like the Momentum but the toy hauler furnishings are too rough looking ? in comparison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Momentum but the toy hauler furnishings are too rough looking ? in comparison
    lol, My wife thinks the furnishings in our 376TH are more luxurious than our former 5th wheel. But we stayed away from toy haulers for years because we didn't want to live in our garage. I am sure you will find the solution that is best for you and your wife.

Safe Travels!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up on double Hook! I like the Momentum but the toy hauler furnishings are too rough looking ? in comparison
    If you want a toy hauler that doesn't have the 'garage' feel (which I agree with) look at the Momentum 376THS. It is just what you need for a motorcycle, golf cart or side by side. Obviously the 376THS is too large for your truck. It may move the truck upgrade up on the list. I think it is exactly what your DW would love. There are other manufacturers that have a garage setup like this Momentum as well. Some may even have a similar setup it in a lighter version.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    If you want a toy hauler that doesn't have the 'garage' feel (which I agree with) look at the Momentum 376THS. It is just what you need for a motorcycle, golf cart or side by side. Obviously the 376THS is too large for your truck. It may move the truck upgrade up on the list. I think it is exactly what your DW would love. There are other manufacturers that have a garage setup like this Momentum as well. Some may even have a similar setup it in a lighter version.
    Actually I was very interested in the Momentum G series but if i replace the truck this year I will have to wait another year for the RV purchase . tough decision

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I was very interested in the Momentum G series but if i replace the truck this year I will have to wait another year for the RV purchase . tough decision
    Sir, you came for free opinions and they may be worth what you're paying for them. Here are mine:

The payload numbers you're looking at for both truck and trailer are established without many things you may/will have in them, such as fuel, people, pets, tools, propane tanks, propane, batteries, camping gear, clothing, food, water, sewage and more.

Towing a trailer with too little truck is not only illegal but you may be one of many to whom it FEELS unsafe. Our truck is just enough truck for our trailer and there are times when the trailer reminds me of that; not comfortable.

Buying less trailer than you want/need to fit the truck you have now, knowing that you will be replacing the truck, is a recipe for also replacing the trailer. We traded a trailer after six months (for different reasons); it's a painful experience.

Wait. Bide your time and save until you can buy both a truck and a trailer that you know you'll keep for a while. It takes a while before the pain of buying them and the work and hassles of repairing / replacing all the things that go wrong in new trailers fade into the past behind you and you can start really enjoying your purchases. Do it right the first time.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been planning/researching RVs for about a year. I started out looking for an inexpensive toy hauler and soon realized I would be camping alone as my wife would prefer staying in hotels ( not high end but family type). So I moved up to better units like Momentum, work and play, and Adrenaline. Then as I went through 40-50 different Brands and manufacturers I purchased a couple Buyers guides and got on several blog /sites I began questioning how where and what i would be using it for. It comes down to occasionally hauling the Harley or a side by side, but mostly traveling to see national parks and visiting grandchildren out west. So I have decided on a half-ton fifth wheel with a hitch for double hooking maybe 5-10 %. I have Identified 3 that we believe would work for us, Reflection 260RD, Durango 259RLD, and Cougar 24RDS. I can pull them with my F150 5Ltr 373 gears and 1848 payload capacity locally for a year before upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck before heading out of the Michigan area.What I would like to hear from you are opinions or comparisons of these three units (realizing the site I am on),and what you think of my process and choices. Also do any of you know a reputable reflection 150 dealer that might have one that I could step inside as the 260RD seems to be hard to find and I would like to avoid General RV because I personally know 3 people who have had very bad experiences there. I plan to order one to have delivery this summer to prepare for next years Nationwide adventure! What do you Think!!!
    We bought from General RV in MT Clemons MI and have had good experiences with the sale and service. As with any dealers though you have to rate each one separately. I have heard of people having problems at other General RVs. Even at MT Clemons. All depends on your sales person and service advisor. Have learned though that people generally treat you depending on how you treat them. We had a good salesman and we got to know our service advisor and used the same one whenever we went there. Have always been treated well. Our service advisor is now head of service and we still ask for her when we go back. She still takes good care of us.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We bought from General RV in MT Clemons MI and have had good experiences with the sale and service. As with any dealers though you have to rate each one separately. I have heard of people having problems at other General RVs. Even at MT Clemons. All depends on your sales person and service advisor. Have learned though that people generally treat you depending on how you treat them. We had a good salesman and we got to know our service advisor and used the same one whenever we went there. Have always been treated well. Our service advisor is now head of service and we still ask for her when we go back. She still takes good care of us.
    Thanks for the info maybe We will check them out what was your Sales reps name?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP I would consider a 350 or 450 truck diesel with big tank, any brand, and second my wife after the first night just loves traveling and camping. good luck...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast