User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Sir, you came for free opinions and they may be worth what you're paying for them. Here are mine:

The payload numbers you're looking at for both truck and trailer are established without many things you may/will have in them, such as fuel, people, pets, tools, propane tanks, propane, batteries, camping gear, clothing, food, water, sewage and more.

Towing a trailer with too little truck is not only illegal but you may be one of many to whom it FEELS unsafe. Our truck is just enough truck for our trailer and there are times when the trailer reminds me of that; not comfortable.

Buying less trailer than you want/need to fit the truck you have now, knowing that you will be replacing the truck, is a recipe for also replacing the trailer. We traded a trailer after six months (for different reasons); it's a painful experience.

Wait. Bide your time and save until you can buy both a truck and a trailer that you know you'll keep for a while. It takes a while before the pain of buying them and the work and hassles of repairing / replacing all the things that go wrong in new trailers fade into the past behind you and you can start really enjoying your purchases. Do it right the first time.
    I have a new 2021 Ram 1500 and Dodge says that the payload capacity is figured at the factory on a commercial scale with the truck and all fluids including the fuel tank topped off. No driver, passenger, cargo, tongue weight of TT, etc. which you then have to deduct from the payload capacity.
    Long Island, New York

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP I would consider a 350 or 450 truck diesel with big tank, any brand, and second my wife after the first night just loves traveling and camping. good luck...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like someone said the advise here is as good as what you pay for it. Having said that if it were me I would definitely decide what trailer I really wanted and would definitely meet my needs now and in the future. Of course it has to meet the wife's standards. Then I would by the truck that can easily handle it even if it meant putting off buying the trailer. Generally trucks are more expensive than trailers but they also generally last longer than trailers plus it seems like they get more expensive every year. In the end it's better to have to much truck than to much trailer.

If you figure out exactly what you want in a trailer you can order it. It will probably take a few months to get it so when you find out what the delay time is you will know when to order it and you will get exactly what you want. Sales for RVs where huge in 2020. Not sure what they are doing in 2021 or what they will be in 2022 but my opinion is they will fall off so prices may remain more stable or even go down in 2022 if demand falls which I think it will do.

Finally look at the full timers who own the trailers you are interested in. A lot of full timers have YouTube channels, blogs, and websites. See what they like and don't like about their trailers. And see what they are towing it with.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    Like someone said the advise here is as good as what you pay for it. Having said that if it were me I would definitely decide what trailer I really wanted and would definitely meet my needs now and in the future. Of course it has to meet the wife's standards. Then I would by the truck that can easily handle it even if it meant putting off buying the trailer. Generally trucks are more expensive than trailers but they also generally last longer than trailers plus it seems like they get more expensive every year. In the end it's better to have to much truck than to much trailer.

If you figure out exactly what you want in a trailer you can order it. It will probably take a few months to get it so when you find out what the delay time is you will know when to order it and you will get exactly what you want. Sales for RVs where huge in 2020. Not sure what they are doing in 2021 or what they will be in 2022 but my opinion is they will fall off so prices may remain more stable or even go down in 2022 if demand falls which I think it will do.

Finally look at the full timers who own the trailers you are interested in. A lot of full timers have YouTube channels, blogs, and websites. See what they like and don't like about their trailers. And see what they are towing it with.
    Great advice! Also previous post.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after much thought and research, with the help of many folks like you, we bought a Grand Design Reflection 150 260 RD today and are in the process of ordering a Ram 3500 Tradesman XL Crew cab 6.4Ltr 6.4 bed and now I may have to work 3-4 shutdowns to pay for it, but we believe we have done good (the right thing) and LazyDays RV in Chicagoland Indiana treated us very well. Scott Barlag over there is a true Professional!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackintheup View Post
    Well after much thought and research, with the help of many folks like you, we bought a Grand Design Reflection 150 260 RD today and are in the process of ordering a Ram 3500 Tradesman XL Crew cab 6.4Ltr 6.4 bed and now I may have to work 3-4 shutdowns to pay for it, but we believe we have done good (the right thing) and LazyDays RV in Chicagoland Indiana treated us very well. Scott Barlag over there is a true Professional!!
    Congratulations! You won't regret the 3500 purchase. Good luck and have fun!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great decision!! You shouldn't have to ever buy a new truck unless you just go crazy on your next 5er.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great decision!! You shouldn't have to ever buy a new truck unless you just go crazy on your next 5er.
    Thanks ! I believe this set-up will do us fine for the next 15 yrs and then at 85 we will see where we are! Ha! Ha!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackintheup View Post
    Thanks ! I believe this set-up will do us fine for the next 15 yrs and then at 85 we will see where we are! Ha! Ha!
    I'm a few years older than you and I don't plan on buying a new RV or truck. If I'm still on the road at 85 I will feel I got my money's worth.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a few years older than you and I don't plan on buying a new RV or truck. If I'm still on the road at 85 I will feel I got my money's worth.
    Me too my friend, but I plan to make it to 100 so who knows because every day is a gift!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast