Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Tires

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing Tires

I am considering changing the tires on my 2018 Reflection 303 RLS. I have the original Westlake ST235/80R16 load range L tires. I read on another thread recently where someone said one type of Westlake tires was not as bad as another, but can't remember.

Anyway, these tires have been holding up well - they don't drop much below 80 psi even when sitting for a while. But I'm thinking of replacing them before a trip to Stone Mountain in March, which is a 6 hour drive for me. I'm considering Saliun or the Goodyear Marathon ST tire. Or, I may just make the trip on the Westlakes being aware of issues with older ST tires.

My question is about actually changing the tires. Does the trailer need to be hooked up to the truck in order jack it up or can it sit on the front jacks. The only other time I had tires changed was on a previous travel trailer and it stayed hooked up to the truck - pulled it to Discount Tire. I've found a mobile service that could possible come to where I store it to do the change.

Thanks for any input.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you chock the opposite side tires, you don’t have to be hooked up to truck. You should be on level ground of course.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    I am considering changing the tires on my 2018 Reflection 303 RLS. I have the original Westlake ST235/80R16 load range L tires. Thanks for any input.
    Load range "E" came on the 2018 303. Load range L are a pretty beefy tire. As far as changing the tires, as long as the tires are chocked well, you should have no issue
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Load range "E" came on the 2018 303. Load range L are a pretty beefy tire. As far as changing the tires, as long as the tires are chocked well, you should have no issue
    I think the "L" refers to the speed rating...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like any tire change being on level ground is a good thing. Most of my tire changes have been unhooked from the truck. On level ground I place a couple of 4x4 wood blocks under each level up pad and extend them to the max. Then I use a bottle jack to lift each axle the remaining inch or so to get the tire off the ground. I am careful not to put a lot of strain on any one axle and place the bottle jack just under the U-bolts near the hub.

I think the proper way to lift a trailer is by using the frame with big jacks, then placing jack stands under the frame. But I don't have that heavy of equipment.

Be safe!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't sound like you have ever had the wheels off of it. So while you are at it, repack the wheel bearings. You will need new seals at a minimum. Also, check the brakes and adjust, and grease the suspension. Then you are good for another year.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember if the Reflection's electric jacks have this capability but this is what I did on my Solitude this month when they installed the Sailun tires. Easy peasy Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jacks (2).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	32319
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - the speed rating is L - my mistake. I'm not sure what load range they are. Size is ST235/80R16. The guy parked next to me has the same size Sailuns - the max cold pressure was 110 psi. Can the stock rims work with this tire? Friend just bought a Reflection 150 series - came with the Goodyear Endurance.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    Yes - the speed rating is L - my mistake. I'm not sure what load range they are. Size is ST235/80R16. The guy parked next to me has the same size Sailuns - the max cold pressure was 110 psi. Can the stock rims work with this tire? Friend just bought a Reflection 150 series - came with the Goodyear Endurance.
    Not sure who you're asking or responding to (you can use "Reply With Quote" as I have here). Chances are the tires on your 150 series are load range E (max inflation pressure 80 PSI). Load range G tires like the Sailuns would be overkill on your 150 series. You would be better off with the Goodyear Endurance tires (also load range E) if you want to replace the Westlakes. I'm not sure if the rims that came with your 150 series are capable of the 110 PSI of the load range G tires, either - you would have to check with GD Customer Service on that one.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Not sure who you're asking or responding to (you can use "Reply With Quote" as I have here). Chances are the tires on your 150 series are load range E (max inflation pressure 80 PSI). Load range G tires like the Sailuns would be overkill on your 150 series. You would be better off with the Goodyear Endurance tires (also load range E) if you want to replace the Westlakes. I'm not sure if the rims that came with your 150 series are capable of the 110 PSI of the load range G tires, either - you would have to check with GD Customer Service on that one.

Rob
    Thanks Rob - what you say makes sense. I'll most likely go with the Goodyear, although still rolling it around. Want to get the max use form the Westlakes before changing - have a few weeks to decide.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast