Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grease and grease guns

I found some zerks, so I need to get a grease gun and some grease. Amazon has grease guns from $25 to $300. I don't need a Mercedes-class grease gun, but I don't want a Yugo-class, either. Suggestions?

What sort of grease do I need to care for the trailer suspension and the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch? Do they use the same grease? Is one grease pretty much the same as another? I've seen references to red and black grease. Other than color, what's the difference?

As you can tell, I've never greased anything before. The Foretravel got serviced annually at Motorhomes of Texas, where skinny young people without trifocals could get underneath and work. The towed (Lincoln MKT) went to the dealer for service. Now I can actually see and get to what needs attention, so I want to take care of it myself.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main thing to be concerned with concerning grease guns is the output pressure, measured in psi. 5,000-7,000 psi is common, but 10,000 psi guns are available also. They are not a whole lot more money and you'll appreciate the pressure when you try to grease the wet bolts of the suspension. Also something like a Lock-n-Lube coupler is a good idea. Cordless grease guns are available but cost more.

I use Lucas Red and Tacky, just because it has good word-of-mouth reputation, it's reasonably priced, and easy to find.

If you decide to use the zerks in the ends of the axles, known as Dexter EZ-Lube axles, you might reconsider until you physically checked, or have checked the amount and allocation of grease in the wheel bearings. IMO the Dexter EZ-Lube is more of a marketing ploy than a real need in a modern trailer.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 02-04-2023 at 12:51 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got this one. Works great and comes with the lock fitting.

Alemite 500-E Grease Gun, LockNLube Grease Coupler, and swivel (LockNLube Grease Coupler) https://a.co/d/1RHd1cc
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Lucas products myself weather it's their red and tacky or Lucas Xtra to repack wheel bearings using hand packer. Lucas is very old oil company with a good reputation. I like pistol grip grease guns they are easier to use in tight places but have been looking at battery operated ones, they may be easier.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-Oun...06&sr=8-3&th=1
    Last edited by Buckskin; 02-04-2023 at 03:44 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the stuff, but shop around. I bought my tubes locally for around $5 per tube. And you won't use much until you start greasing axle bearings, by hand, not with the zerks. I'm firmly in the camp that once you've checked your brakes, and repacked the bearings, they're good to go for a couple years. Adding grease via the zerks is completely unnecessary. Again, IMO. Unless you're traveling big miles, i.e. 15,000-20,000 miles per year, annual repacking is unnecessary. That is strictly my opinion. Lots of people do it religiously every year, I don't.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lube our wheel bearings and suspension once every spring. You can pack the bearings by hand but I choose to use a Lisle 34550 Handy Packer Bearing Packer. I've had it for years and used it on multiple trailers. I also use a Lincoln 1134 Extra Heavy Duty Pistol Grip Grease Gun (which is nothing fancy) with a LUMAX LX-1403 Silver Heavy-Duty Quick Release Grease Coupler, 1/8" NPT ($30) attached to it. The coupler really locks on the Zerk fitting, so you can really pump the grease in. Lastly I use Red n Tacky grease.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'll be using Lucas products. We used to live a few miles from the Lucas Ranch in SW MO.

I've seen zerk fittings on the inside of the spring ends, but didn't notice any on the axle itself, but then I haven't crawled around under there yet - just what I can see from the opposite side of the trailer while checking tire pressures. It sounds like I need a wheel bearing packing tool, then, too. Looks like more searches for videos.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be zerks at each spring pack eye, and probably one at each equalizer hanger bolt. The ones on the axles will be behind rubber plugs, so not visible.
    Howard and Peggy