User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide-out topper

Our slide-out topper on our 2018 Reflection shakes & makes a lot of noise in any wind over 10 mph. Does anyone else have this issue? Can I make an adjustment somewhere?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmike49 View Post
    Our slide-out topper on our 2018 Reflection shakes & makes a lot of noise in any wind over 10 mph. Does anyone else have this issue? Can I make an adjustment somewhere?
    Over Thanksgiving we were in a very strong storm in Southern Georgia. Where we were there was rain and a lot of wind. The wind continued over night and knocked out power to the ACOE campground. It was a very long and nervous night. I could hear our door side topper flapping all night. I fully expected to go out in the morning and find it shredded.

Not so! I believe it was a constant 15-20 mph with gusts to 30 at our lakeside campsite. The trailer was shaking.

The point of my story is that I think if you try to silence the topper by 'restraining' it, you might end up causing more damage to the topper. If it is only the noise that bothers you you could put an inflatable pool matress on top of the slide.

When researching whether to install slide toppers that was the only real negative I came across. People said they could get noisy in wind. Especially if your bed is in the slide.

I don't get much noise in low winds. You may want to check the manual for your topper to see if you can retension the setup and remove as much slack as possible.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input. I'm more interested in knowing if ours is unique or if it's common. Knowing that it has happened to you helps me feel better

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search function on the forum, there have been dozens of posts on this topic. Yes - slide toppers can be very noisy. If winds exceed 45 MPH, we pull our slides in to protect the toppers (and get some sleep if it's nighttime). There are no "adjustments" that will remedy this. Some folks will put a rope through a pool noodle, place that on top of the topper, and tie it around underneath the slide. Others will put beach balls underneath the topper on top of the slide roof inflated just enough to keep the topper from flapping.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used 1 1/4" PVC pipes with 90 degree angles at each end, and 1/4" nylon rope for our older rig. Worked great, no more flapping. Tested in 40 mph winds here in Texas, no issues.

Much like this stock photo (Not mine)

2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    We used 1 1/4" PVC pipes with 90 degree angles at each end, and 1/4" nylon rope for our older rig. Worked great, no more flapping. Tested in 40 mph winds here in Texas, no issues.

Much like this stock photo (Not mine)
    This could be a good solution for water pooling as well. Tie each end of the rope independently and tighten the back one a bit more than the front.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Might try something like that if it keeps bothering us. Mostly worried about damage, but obviously it is just something to learn to live with

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My topper pools water and during the winter months, if i done run my slide in to drain the topper, Ice builds up. Can the topper be tightened so it wont allow pooling vs putting pvc pipe or balls to correct?

Patti and Mike (and Bella and Ari too)
    2020 Solitude 310gk
    2017 Ford F-250 Supercrew 6.7 diesel 2x2
    Anderson Hitch gooseneck set up

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmike49 View Post
    I built my own slide out topper supports. I went to a local building supply store (HD) and bought pre cut sheets of styrofoam (packaged). They came in a package about 2 ft by 4 or 5 ft. I stacked them as deep as I needed to support the topper fabric. I then wrapped them in heavy gauge black plastic and taped them up. When setting up I slide them under the topper. They stop the wind problem and water pooling. When we travel, we place them in the shower. Been using them one year and they work great. Cheap and efficient. They also provide VERY good insulation in hot and cold. I have also seen people build PVC supports under the toppers and use PVC on top of the topper. Good luck!
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a winner. I'll try that.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast