User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Telephone_Man View Post
    Thank you for your input. Everything you say is true, and things that I have considered. My plan is to make these modifications and see how the rig behaves. If it doesn’t improve the handling to the point that I feel comfortable, then a new 250 is the next step. I’m just trying to avoid that since the King Ranch is so new.

As for the trip the other day, if I had been trying to drive any distance at all, I would have done as you suggested and pulled over. Since it was only 30-45 minutes away, and most of the driving was not on a highway, I pressed on.
    Forty minutes or 4 hours doesn’t make any difference when something is dangerous. It only takes a second of swaying out of control to turn everything over. Highway or two lane road also doesn’t modify it being dangerous. In fact it increases it as I’ll bet there were speed related curves to shift the balance of your tandem.

Just like adding hitches and air bags doesn’t increase the towing capacity of your vehicle.

Sorry I just can’t buy that reasoning.

I’m sure a lot of your issue wasn’t just wind related. It’s weight. You have the power to tow.....Barely but not the payload capacity. In fact your vehicle and trailer combined weight is over the towing capacity of 7000 you stated.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's close, but within fixable range.....
    Sticker payload is 1620. Scaled weight is 5640, with a GVWR of 6750, or remaining payload of 1,110. So about 510 lbs of people/stuff in the truck since it came off the assembly line and went over the scale.
    As weighed, he's still 170 away from rear GAWR.
    Current tongue is at 1120 - which puts him a tad over the remaining payload. And yes, the Propride would add about another 100 above his current hitch.

BUT...the trailer is very close to it's max. He never noted whether there were liquids aboard. As noted before, mine, loaded for a couple of weeks, dry, comes in at 940 with the ProPride. If he can get close to the same after putting the trailer on a diet, that leaves him with 170 extra payload to fudge with. Thats 10% margin on the nominal sticker amount.

BTW - he never stated his towing capacity. That 7000 probably came from the other person that bumped into this thread. F-150 Eco's have way more than enough capacity to tow. As always, it is what they can carry that is the big limit. His is do-able to get it within spec. for the truck.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rough ride with new Imagine 2670MK

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    He's close, but within fixable range.....
    Sticker payload is 1620. Scaled weight is 5640, with a GVWR of 6750, or remaining payload of 1,110. So about 510 lbs of people/stuff in the truck since it came off the assembly line and went over the scale.
    As weighed, he's still 170 away from rear GAWR.
    Current tongue is at 1120 - which puts him a tad over the remaining payload. And yes, the Propride would add about another 100 above his current hitch.

BUT...the trailer is very close to it's max. He never noted whether there were liquids aboard. As noted before, mine, loaded for a couple of weeks, dry, comes in at 940 with the ProPride. If he can get close to the same after putting the trailer on a diet, that leaves him with 170 extra payload to fudge with. Thats 10% margin on the nominal sticker amount.

BTW - he never stated his towing capacity. That 7000 probably came from the other person that bumped into this thread. F-150 Eco's have way more than enough capacity to tow. As always, it is what they can carry that is the big limit. His is do-able to get it within spec. for the truck.
    Many on here require a margin for some reason even though manufacturers already have a margin in place

As has been said I think his biggest issue is the front axle

Imo an Equalizer E4 12000/1200 lb hitch properly used would solve his issues

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-20-2021 at 11:19 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update for those following along:

We took the TT to the lake on Wednesday(3-17)of this week. It’s only about a 45 minute ride from our house, but it was one of the most terrify rides I have taken in a while. A cold front moved through North Texas around noon that day, and the wind was blowing 30-40 MPH, with higher gusts. It was all I could do to control the trailer. I had to slow down to about 40 MPH to keep the sway and bouncing to a minimum. So, after arriving at the lake, I decided to quit nibbling around the edges and do what was necessary to get this fixed. So, here is the plan:

1. On Thursday, I went and put Load Rated E tires on the truck, and had them aired up to 80 psi. Unfortunately, Michelin doesn’t make a Load Rated E tire to fit the King Ranch, so I had to settle for Nitto. They won’t be as good as a Michelin, but I believe they will be a considerable upgrade over what was on the truck.
    2. That same night I placed an order for a ProPride hitch. It is supposed to be delivered on Monday.
    3. I also have an appointment to have air bags installed next week.
    4. Once the air bags and the hitch are installed, I’ll work on the weight for the TT and the TV to get that right. Now that I know true weights from when I weighed the other day, I know what I’m dealing with and can adjust accordingly.

Once all of this is done, I’ll post another update after we take our first trip. Thanks for all the help.
    Those side winds that extreme will cause some white knuckle driving no matter what with a trailer with that much side profile. A heavier truck like a F250/350 will feel more solid and even better with a DRW truck but I get it, might not be in the budget or practical for everyday use.

I was in the truck accessory/tire business for a while, I’d far rather have Nitto tires than Michelin on my truck. YMMV. Either way, a good LT load range E tire will definitely help with the stability.

I hear good things about the ProPride hitches, hopefully it helps. I’ve been pretty happy with my Equalizer hitch but the setup from the dealership was terrible. I spent a considerable amount of time at the CAT scale getting it dialed in and it’s a breeze to drive now.

Airbags will also help firm things up. You’ll have to play around with the pressure to find what works best with the WD hitch. I usually only have about 15 psi in mine with the WD hitch doing most of the work. I tow some other trailers that I actually need the bags for.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Left The Driveway Texas Telephone_Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those following along:

After the scary ride to the lake last week, my wife and I sat down and made room in the budget for a new F-250. I traded the King Ranch for a 2021 F-250 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel. I still feel like I could have gotten the sway and porpoising issues with the other rig solved, but I also feel like I would have always been riding right on the line of safe/not safe. The facts are what they are, and the fact is that King Ranch didn't have the payload capacity to pull an 8000 lb. trailer.

We are both retiring in May, and plan to be pulling this rig all over the country, and I didn't want to have to constantly worry when things might get out of control. I had already ordered the ProPride hitch, and have decided to stay with it. They agreed to switch out the 2" receiver for a 2 1/2". I also ordered air bags, and will have them installed next week. After I get the new hitch installed , I'll post an update.

I have learned a lot through the replies to my original post, and I appreciate all of the help.
    2021 Ford F-250 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    Pro Pride hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move

Lot to be said about peace of mind. If you trade up later it was inevitable. Even if you don’t you will be surprised how much more stable the 2500 feels towing your trailer now. Like you I always err on safety side. It will also give your wife a sense of security which is important too. Glad you choose what you did and you’ll will be happy with your choice ( should have got a Ram with springs vs leafs on the Ford....haha)

My Ram 2500 is my first vehicle larger than a Highlander I’ve ever had. Took some getting used to.

I had just retired and this was our first trip into an RV. I doubt I’ll trade up as we also have a 35 ft sailboat in Annapolis for 33 years and up till now that occupied all our free time. We tried to stay around 30 ft so we could primarily camp away from campgrounds in state forests, national forests more easily. July 4 we are headed out for a 7 week trip to NY, Vt, NH, and Maine. That’s a couple weeks after an 7 week trip up the coast from Annapolis to the LI Sound to Boston by water on the sailboat. Luckily many systems like 12v and Pex water pressure systems are similar on the sailboat.

Now all we have is free time.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice on moving up to the F250. You won't believe what you were missing. Make sure you get the required 1000 miles on before towing.
    With the Pro Pride and the F250 it will be rock solid. Good times ahead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those following along:

After the scary ride to the lake last week, my wife and I sat down and made room in the budget for a new F-250. I traded the King Ranch for a 2021 F-250 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel. I still feel like I could have gotten the sway and porpoising issues with the other rig solved, but I also feel like I would have always been riding right on the line of safe/not safe. The facts are what they are, and the fact is that King Ranch didn't have the payload capacity to pull an 8000 lb. trailer.

We are both retiring in May, and plan to be pulling this rig all over the country, and I didn't want to have to constantly worry when things might get out of control. I had already ordered the ProPride hitch, and have decided to stay with it. They agreed to switch out the 2" receiver for a 2 1/2". I also ordered air bags, and will have them installed next week. After I get the new hitch installed , I'll post an update.

I have learned a lot through the replies to my original post, and I appreciate all of the help.
    Given this information, you made the right decision. Enjoy your retirement!
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will love the fuel economy of a diesel and the torque that it has while pulling.
    It should walk up just about any grade at speed limit and won't labor at all when you hit a head wind.
    Enjoy your retirements, but be prepared to be busier than you were when you worked LOL !
    Be safe and Happy Camping.

Left The Driveway Texas Telephone_Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last update:
    After spending last week installing the hitch, installing a longer power cord, and lengthening my safety chains, I had the opportunity to take the rig out today. All I can say is WOW! The difference in how it behaved was amazing. Once again, we had a cold front come through the DFW area this morning, so I had a 15-25 MPH wind hitting me from the driver's side. I could feel a gust of wind every now and then, but it never felt like the rig was getting "loose". I am extremely pleased with how it tows now. Of course, I had to spend some $$ to get it there, but our travels will be much more enjoyable with this new setup.

On my way to my destination, I stopped by the CAT scale and weighed the rig. Here are the results:
    Truck only-Steer Axle-4640 Drive Axle-3260 Total-7900
    Complete rig, with WDH-Steer Axle-4540 Drive Axle-4400 Trailer Axle-7420 Total-16360
    Complete rig, w/o WDH-Steer Axle-4160 Drive Axle-5060 Trailer Axle-7180 Total-16400
    I also bought a tongue weight scale, and my tongue weight was about 1150 lbs.

Here are my conclusions on the weight. The trailer weighs 8460(16360 total -7900 truck only). That much too close to the GVWR of 8495. I had the old hitch in the pass-through storage, which is about 100 lbs total. Removing that will give me a little breathing room, but we'll look to take some more weight out of the trailer. My tongue weight is 13.6%, so I should be good there. I was able to recover 380 of the 480 lbs that I lost on the steer axle, which I believe is acceptable.

If I'm not looking at this correctly, someone please let me know. And, thank you all for all of your help. It has been a real education.
    2021 Ford F-250 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    Pro Pride hitch

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234