User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TST 507 TPMS Sensors - cap or flow-through?

Anyone use this TPMS system? I am trying to decide between the "cap" style and the "flow-through" style. I have a new 2021 Solitude 3540, and the air stems are all metal with a perpendicular sidewall clearance of 2 inches from the tip of the stem. The flow-through style sensor has a length of 2.2 inches. Some of that length would be used to screw the sensor onto the stem and it would be at an angle to the perpendicular.

I'd love to use the flow-through for convenience, but don't want to risk scraping one off if I brush a curb.

I appreciate any advice!
    2021 Solitude 3540 GK, Reese Goosebox 20K, TST 507 TPMS, RV Airflow
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/10 speed Allison, LB DRW 4WD
    previous: First "rig" was a '68 VW Bug and 2 backpacks
    1972 Starcraft 8 tent trailer, '73 Chevy Blazer
    2006 Fleetwood Williamsburg tent trailer, '07 Toyota 4Runner
    2015 Jayco Jay Flight 29QBS, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 4WD, Equal-i-zer hitch

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady and the Fishfinder View Post
    Anyone use this TPMS system? I am trying to decide between the "cap" style and the "flow-through" style. I have a new 2021 Solitude 3540, and the air stems are all metal with a perpendicular sidewall clearance of 2 inches from the tip of the stem. The flow-through style sensor has a length of 2.2 inches. Some of that length would be used to screw the sensor onto the stem and it would be at an angle to the perpendicular.

I'd love to use the flow-through for convenience, but don't want to risk scraping one off if I brush a curb.

I appreciate any advice!
    Yes that is what we use the TST 507. We have had it for several years and like it very much. I did by a kit and changed all the batteries and rubber orings just last year. If we will be setting for awhile I remove the sensors to save the batteries. No air pressure shuts them off. I installed the repeater in the front storage compartment on the back wall above the battery and use a plug on the wiring to connect to the battery.
    We use the cap style sensors and since we have the metal valve stems is not a problem. Caps style on rubber valve stems can cause the valve stem to go bad.

It is not that big a deal to remove the cap sensor when airing up or down the tires.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-24-2021 at 01:08 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Yes that is what we use the TST 507. We have had it for several years and like it very much. I did by a kit and changed all the batteries and rubber orings just last year. If we will be setting for awhile I remove the sensors to save the batteries. No air pressure shuts them off. I installed the repeater in the front storage compartment on the back wall above the battery and use a plug on the wiring to connect to the battery.
    We use the cap style sensors and since we have the metal valve stems is not a problem. Caps style on rubber valve stems can cause the valve stem to go bad.

It is not that big a deal to remove the cap sensor when airing up or down the tires.
    Thank you ! Two additional questions:

1. Do you use the anti-theft lock nut? And is that easy to unscrew to adjust air pressure .

2. The display cycles among the tires every 5 seconds or so according to the manual. Does this mean that a sudden loss of pressure might not be reported for up to 20 seconds in the case of 4 trailer tires? Or does an "event" get alarmed immediately?

Well, I guess that is 4 questions disguised as two !

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post

1. Do you use the anti-theft lock nut? And is that easy to unscrew to adjust air pressure .

2. The display cycles among the tires every 5 seconds or so according to the manual. Does this mean that a sudden loss of pressure might not be reported for up to 20 seconds in the case of 4 trailer tires? Or does an "event" get alarmed immediately?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady and the Fishfinder View Post

Yes we do use the anti-theft housing. You get a spoon type fork tool with the unit to remove and install the sensors but really once you loosen them up with the tool they unscrew without it. Its very easy to remove the sensors to add or decrease air pressure, takes only a few seconds to remove them. One other thing, I have heard that a few people who use balancing beads inside the tires reported them plugging up the flow through sensors. I don't use balancing beads, I have centramatic balancing plates on my RV wheels. Another thing for me, I have had too many stupid tire tech people mounting tires, specifically Discount Tire, I wouldn't want them messing with any flow through sensor valve stems.

On the sensors reporting right away, once when I removed a sensor to add air to the tire, the display in the truck alarmed right away, I could hear it beeping, but it could be that it was cycling through that tire, or close, at the time, I don't know. But I think yes it could be as much as 20 seconds to report on the display, 5 seconds delay for each tire, if you had a blow out. I don't remember if the delay in the cycle of the display can be changed or not, i just don't remember.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, this gives me some help deciding - the caps are looking better than I was thinking !

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the same TST 507 system Steve has installed the exact same way. No real difficulty Loosening nut and removing cap to adjust air pressure. I also disable as he does. The alarm almost happens instantaneously. System works well as advertised.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM