Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigerator light is out

Hi all,
    I was fixing a problem with a loose light fixture in our Dometic (2019 Reflection) refrigerator when the light went out. The filament was still visibly intact, red and black wires still firmly connected . . . but no light. I tried closing and opening the doors, thinking it may "time out" and self re-set, but no joy.
    Next, I found the 5 amp fuse inside the outside bottom panel, which was blown. I replaced it, and then realized that the fans had not been running! That is what that fuse is for . . . so I learned something useful. But, still no light. I have replaced the bulb with a fancy LED one, still no light.
    Any idea how to get the light back on again will be appreciated!

Thanks very much,
    DTK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doran & Becki View Post
    Hi all,
    I was fixing a problem with a loose light fixture in our Dometic (2019 Reflection) refrigerator when the light went out. The filament was still visibly intact, red and black wires still firmly connected . . . but no light. I tried closing and opening the doors, thinking it may "time out" and self re-set, but no joy.
    Next, I found the 5 amp fuse inside the outside bottom panel, which was blown. I replaced it, and then realized that the fans had not been running! That is what that fuse is for . . . so I learned something useful. But, still no light. I have replaced the bulb with a fancy LED one, still no light.
    Any idea how to get the light back on again will be appreciated!

Thanks very much,
    DTK
    The first step is to get a volt meter and check for voltage (it could be less than 12v), next step is to check the bulb (using the voltage measured in step 1).

There is a chance the light in the fridge uses a lower voltage than 12v, I am assuming your replacement bulb uses 12v, that may be why the replacement bulb is not working.

There is an equal chance that the voltage measured in step 1 should actually be 12v.

If you don't have voltage in the light socket, then you may have a shorted or broken wire leading to that socket.

So many possibilities, however, this should get you started in the right direction.

PS: let us know what you find out.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much for a detailed answer! I will keep you posted on our progress with the fix.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much for a detailed answer! I will keep you posted on our progress with the fix.
    One other thing, the light is timed so you will need to close the door from time to time while checking the voltages.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reefer light is fixed

So, between being busy and my boss forgetting to bring me his voltmeter which he told me I could borrow, I finally borrowed a tester from a neighbor in the RV park today. The tester illuminated, indicating that I had current to the light socket! Surprise, surprise! (Yesterday I had gone to O'Reilly Auto to see if I could get a 5v bulb replacement. The bulbs that fit are all 12v, although the halogen one draws 10 watts, and the LED one draws only 0.5.)

So, I was really glad when I learned I had current to the light socket! I put the LED bulb back in and it lit right up! No one more surprised than me, since I have had that bulb in that socket at least 2 other times and it didn't light.

In any case, the problem is solved. I think that part of the solution was the 5 amp fuse that I replaced a couple weeks ago. Maybe after that, it was the timer on the light? I really have no idea, just glad I have a light that works again.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    One other thing, the light is timed so you will need to close the door from time to time while checking the voltages.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Maybe after that, it was the timer on the light? I really have no idea, just glad I have a light that works again.
    I don't know about Dometic, but in our Norcold fridge, the light will turn off, if I keep the door open too long.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)