User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I trudged through the snow to check if my 2021 311BHS had the issue addressed at the time of manufacture which was March 2020. I do not have the additional angle supports on the U shaped spring hangers so we can assume GD addressed this problem sometime after March of 2020.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

Use the search function “ spring hangers” lots of information and pictures.

Good luck

Mulligan
    From another former 'Kamloopsian', I have done the search and the problem is that there are many 'so called' fixes. Everything from square plates welded to the ends of the brackets to 'V' shaped pieces welded inside the brackets in several different ways.
    Can anyone say what the 'Lippert approved' method is? Can someone post a photo or two here? It might help someone save several hours wading through multiple threads on multiple forums.
    I do have to call Lippert on another matter come spring and will take this up with them at that time as well.
    Thanks
    -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I trudged through the snow to check if my 2021 311BHS had the issue addressed at the time of manufacture which was March 2020. I do not have the additional angle supports on the U shaped spring hangers so we can assume GD addressed this problem sometime after March of 2020.
    When it comes to something structural in running gear I would not assume anything. For your Safety and others and to cya from liability....send GD, your dealer and Lippert an email and ask them specifically what the improved hangers look like. Are they thicker, do they have the u shape piece? You may to ask for a drawing. Get something in writing.
    The email I got from GD which I copied to the forum is the current models have been upgraded...but no effective date of model year.
    After that Any repairs are on a case by case basis.
    For your own piece of mind you may want to have someone look at it get a structural report and fix it on your own dime...then send Lippert,GD,and your dealer the bill and the report.
    Good luck

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Have no answer to the FIX

Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    From another former 'Kamloopsian', I have done the search and the problem is that there are many 'so called' fixes. Everything from square plates welded to the ends of the brackets to 'V' shaped pieces welded inside the brackets in several different ways.
    Can anyone say what the 'Lippert approved' method is? Can someone post a photo or two here? It might help someone save several hours wading through multiple threads on multiple forums.
    I do have to call Lippert on another matter come spring and will take this up with them at that time as well.
    Thanks
    -Rob-
    Hello former Kamloopsian...AKA Rob.....your comments are right on. There are so many questions.
    Maybe bug your dealer or Lippert or GD.
    For what it’s worth I would get everything in writing. When it comes to a structural issue and something catastrophic happens everyone will be pointing fingers at each other and heading for the hills. I know the process it’s a PIA.
    I am sorry I can’t be more helpful...imho GD though Lippert and the dealer should be be more forthright and clear in what action they are taking. If it wasn’t for this forum..owners would be oblivious of the issue.

Take care

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to something structural in running gear I would not assume anything. For your Safety and others and to cya from liability....send GD, your dealer and Lippert an email and ask them specifically what the improved hangers look like. Are they thicker, do they have the u shape piece? You may to ask for a drawing. Get something in writing.
    The email I got from GD which I copied to the forum is the current models have been upgraded...but no effective date of model year.
    After that Any repairs are on a case by case basis.
    For your own piece of mind you may want to have someone look at it get a structural report and fix it on your own dime...then send Lippert,GD,and your dealer the bill and the report.
    Good luck
    So I went one step further with your advice and called GD. They wouldn't even acknowledge to me that there was an issue. the wording was "I've been in the industry for 25 years and with Grand Design for the past 2 years and I haven't heard of any problems with the frames or Spring hangers". When I said he should google it because the entire lawsuit filing is available he said "I don't doubt that it is or you wouldn't be calling but I wouldn't worry about it. The frames we use are different than what other manufacturers use".

So you got an email back acknowledging they know about the problem and it has been addressed but provided little information about when things were upgraded and the guy I spoke with says they don't know about any problem with the spring hangers. This isn't leaving me feeling all warm and fuzzy!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Warm and fuzzy

So I went one step further with your advice and called GD. They wouldn't even acknowledge to me that there was an issue. the wording was "I've been in the industry for 25 years and with Grand Design for the past 2 years and I haven't heard of any problems with the frames or Spring hangers". When I said he should google it because the entire lawsuit filing is available he said "I don't doubt that it is or you wouldn't be calling but I wouldn't worry about it. The frames we use are different than what other manufacturers use".

So you got an email back acknowledging they know about the problem and it has been addressed but provided little information about when things were upgraded and the guy I spoke with says they don't know about any problem with the spring hangers. This isn't leaving me feeling all warm and fuzzy!
    Hello...check out the first thread. Did you get the guys name?
    Here is a copy of the portion of the email from GD. By the way I got my hands slapped by GD for attaching the email to the forum....

Point to ponder if they didn’t know there was a problem why would they add additional support and make modifications to the new models and why would GD say there in no recall however would look at each request on a case by case basis.

I wonder what makes the GD Lippert frame different from others?

I hope this helps

“Actually Lippert is a major supplier of frames throughout the entire rv industry and they have actually addressed the potential concern across the board (all frame models) by adding additional supports in the hanger locations. Yes, all of our Grand Design frames, including the 303rls have this modification.”

Mulligan

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello...check out the first thread. Did you get the guys name?
    Here is a copy of the portion of the email from GD. By the way I got my hands slapped by GD for attaching the email to the forum....

Point to ponder if they didn’t know there was a problem why would they add additional support and make modifications to the new models and why would GD say there in no recall however would look at each request on a case by case basis.

I wonder what makes the GD Lippert frame different from others?

I hope this helps

“Actually Lippert is a major supplier of frames throughout the entire rv industry and they have actually addressed the potential concern across the board (all frame models) by adding additional supports in the hanger locations. Yes, all of our Grand Design frames, including the 303rls have this modification.”

Mulligan

I did not get the guys name. I had to enter my phone number and wait for a call back. The connection wasn't very good and he danced around things better than most politicians. I am going to email my dealer just to make them aware that I know about the issue and at least it will be on record. But I'm still waiting to experience some of the wonderful customer support from Grand Design that so many rave about. I've called or emailed them a few times since buying my 311BHS and I have not had a stellar experience yet. As a matter of fact, I started a thread here about slide out roof strength and I finally got an answer from GD about it. It took them a week to reply. I had better customer service from Heartland and Forest River.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Above sounds like the small plate that's welded at an angle on the frame flange just above spring hangers:
    REINFORCEMENT PLATE, SEE FIG.1 (A).
    LIP 0135A - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...1V486-1111.pdf

V Clips in between the spring hangers are also in LIP 0135A and mention of them was made last year for Solitudes.
    "In the newest build of the Solitude, the upgraded axle hanger is one that has what we call a V Clip support inside the hanger itself."

Solitude and Momentum under Construction show Upgraded Axle Hangers. I didn't see that on the other models like Reflection.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...ns/310GK#specs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solitude 2021 Construction - Upgraded Axle Hangers.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	32352
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...s/376ths#specs

Name:	Momentum 2021 Construction - Upgraded Axle Hangers.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	32353

A KZ I saw a few years ago with V Clips that looked OEM installed on a Lippert frame

Name:	DSCF2735.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	32354

Beachcamper's work at Lippert - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post324191
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another update: I talked to the sales manager at the dealer where I bought my rig and then he and the manager of the parts department read the lawsuit, then called Lippert and Grand Design. The parts manager just called me back and said the lawsuit was in 2015 so the frames would have been made in 2015 or earlier that had the issue with the spring hangers. He said the lawsuit involved Forest River and they do things quite a bit different than Grand Design but in any event, Lippert addressed the issue in 2016. He said there's no way I could have a frame that sat around for 5+ years and was then used to build my rig in 2020 because Grand Design doesn't operate like that. He said he was sure I have nothing to worry about with this issue because even though Lippert didn't do a recall, Grand Design would have or at the very least sent a tech bulletin to dealers so they could follow up with their customers. He then said there are no bulletins or recalls for the 2021 Reflection 311BHS so that makes me feel a lot better. It also makes me feel good about the dealer I bought my rig from that they went the extra mile to address my concerns.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another update: I talked to the sales manager at the dealer where I bought my rig and then he and the manager of the parts department read the lawsuit, then called Lippert and Grand Design. The parts manager just called me back and said the lawsuit was in 2015 so the frames would have been made in 2015 or earlier that had the issue with the spring hangers. He said the lawsuit involved Forest River and they do things quite a bit different than Grand Design but in any event, Lippert addressed the issue in 2016. He said there's no way I could have a frame that sat around for 5+ years and was then used to build my rig in 2020 because Grand Design doesn't operate like that. He said he was sure I have nothing to worry about with this issue because even though Lippert didn't do a recall, Grand Design would have or at the very least sent a tech bulletin to dealers so they could follow up with their customers. He then said there are no bulletins or recalls for the 2021 Reflection 311BHS so that makes me feel a lot better. It also makes me feel good about the dealer I bought my rig from that they went the extra mile to address my concerns.
    Glad things are working out for you. Not sure where the folks are getting the 2015 2016 dates. The dates in attached California lawsuit are July 2020. Hope I am not muddling the waters...if so my apologies.

See below.

Case No.
    NOTICE OF REMOVAL BY DEFENDANT LIPPERT COMPONENTS, INC.
    (Removed from the Superior Court of California, County of Nevada, Case No. CU020-084701)
    UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT EASTERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA SACRAMENTO DIVISION
    BARNES & THORNBURG LLP ATTORNEYS AT LAW LOS ANGELES
    NOTICE OF REMOVAL BY DEFENDANT LIPPERT COMPONENTS, INC.
    Complaint Filed: Complaint Served: Action Removed:
    July 10, 2020
    July 22, 2020 Au

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast