User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I took another look at my Spring hangers and I missed that there's additional Steel support welded on the frame above the hangers.
    Maybe that's what they meant, but IMHO, it doesn't help the problem. When they've broken on me both times were at the bends of the hangers (red arrows).

Attachment 32397
    signature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Maybe that's what they meant, but IMHO, it doesn't help the problem. When they've broken on me both times were at the bends of the hangers
    Did the welds break or did the hanger itself break?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    We had 1 weld that fell right off the frame, which I believe contributed to the other side cracking below the bend. In our case Lippert sent their mobile repair truck to us as this was a clearly failed weld and and safety issue. We are/were amazed that it took 3 years to fall off, there was a very small area that had a good weld. Lippert also fixed the cracking hanger at our next location , that is where they installed V clips/brackets to all 4 of our tire hangers.
    Here is the old thread
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I took another look at my Spring hangers and I missed that there's additional Steel support welded on the frame above the hangers. I pointed out what I mean with white arrows. I missed this before and I don't see that support in the photos others have offered in this thread. Would this be the fix Lippert started doing on their frames?

Attachment 32390

That is an extra support to prevent cracks in the I beam above the hanger, part of GDs specs on the frame, you can find more if you poke around the frame. They (GD) also have extra braces in the front of the frame where the nose protrudes which is another known area prone to breaking over the years in all makes of 5th wheels.

That plate is not the fix for the flexing and breaking hangers. The V clips are what Lippert themselves installed on ours . Lippert makes the frames to Specs designed by GD , I guess after many broken hangers they designed the clips into their frames. My previous post has a link to the issue we had a few years ago.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

That is an extra support to prevent cracks in the I beam above the hanger, part of GDs specs on the frame, you can find more if you poke around the frame. They (GD) also have extra braces in the front of the frame where the nose protrudes which is another known area prone to breaking over the years in all makes of 5th wheels.

That plate is not the fix for the flexing and breaking hangers. The V clips are what Lippert themselves installed on ours . Lippert makes the frames to Specs designed by GD , I guess after many broken hangers they designed the clips into their frames. My previous post has a link to the issue we had a few years ago.
    GD and my dealer told me there is no problem and since my RV is a 2021 then I guess GD used a frame not up to their current spec because I don't have those V clips and they are lying to me about it and so is my dealer.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    The hanger itself broke at the bend. I should have taken pictures of it, but it was just like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	32440
    signature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to mention that, in my case, they have modified the hanger with an angle welded in the hanger itself. See attached pictures. AZmike has modified his hangers, also a 2600rb by welding a back plate to them after fortifying his suspension with More-Ryde components. I intend doing the same. Note that there is already rust settling in. I will paint it up with Tremclad.

My opinion on the picture with the support above the hanger on the frame will not prevent the hanger from absorbing side to side forces.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPRING HANGER2 - 02.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	34919Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPRING HANGER1 - 01.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	34920
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needless to say, my 2015 Reflection 323BHS does not have the angle piece on it. The hanger is welded all the way around though!
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this thread is a little old, but figured I'd post the following info for anyone who needs it.
    I have a 2021 Reflection 29RS with a broken hanger. Lippert has agreed to reimburse me for replacement of the two rear hangers as well as the installation of V-Clips.

Lippert stocks V-Clips, but they are very difficult to find because the description doesn't include the text 'V-clip'.

Part Number: 103727
    Description: "ANG 3.313 X 3.313 x .179 L1.813"
    Price: $5.95

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of confusion going on in this post...

First, not the first time a lawsuit has been lodged against Lippert pertaining to frame weaknesses nor suspension hangers.

The flange stiffeners above the hangers were a bandaid for a prior cracking problem. Structurally, it is just enough of a bandaid, but really the bottom flange needs to be built up to be the superior resolution to distribute the stresses.

The V-clips are what are used in the spring hangers to reinforce them, and they became commonplace on the frames in 2021 heavy 5er builds AFTER frame inventory/standard order fulfillment without them was used. It is also a bandaid that is effective and was actually construed from owners' repairs. Fabricated brackets versus bent bar would be the superior solution.

I do not believe any of the lawsuits got far and generally settled or died on the vine. It is very hard to argue a manufacturing defect/deficiency versus lack of maintenance, and lawyers know this. LCI is huge, and I'm sure they're the 500# gorilla in the room in terms of legal representation. Now if one of those lawsuits would be lodged in a State with mandatory trailer inspection done by State-approved facilities, then there's more teeth.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast