User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Finding issues

  1. #1
    Big Traveler Wicked ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southeast PA.
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Finding issues

    It's nearly two years since I bought my 5W and I'm still finding issues. I'm leaving in a few days and because of weather and ability to access the wheels I took my trailer to a local trailer service center to have the bearings and suspension greased. It's a good thing too. When the tech took out the left rear outer bearing he found the rollers scored. It must have been some dirt or contamination as they had not been opened until then. The bearing and race are replaced and I'm traveling with fresh grease all around. After the blow out last fall I really don't want another failure.
    If you are near Philadelphia, Pa. Cargo Trailer Sales in Lansdale, Pa. is great for suspension work and inspection. Every time now I drop off in the morning and have it back in the afternoon.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

  2. #2
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Houston (Humble area)
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious, is this the first time you had the bearings serviced, what is the mileage between service intervals? I cleaned and repacked my bearings after one year and maybe 8,000 miles and I found one bearing set that I considered questionable.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

  3. #3
    Long Hauler D2Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Somewhere, USA
    Posts
    2,608
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    It's nearly two years since I bought my 5W and I'm still finding issues. ... If you are near Philadelphia, Pa. Cargo Trailer Sales in Lansdale, Pa. is great for suspension work and inspection. Every time now I drop off in the morning and have it back in the afternoon.
    We are nearly four years in and I am fixing stuff every month. This month is flickering lights and toilet.

    Thanks for the recommendation on the trailer repair place. If you make it down to San Antonio, TX I had real good knowledgeable service from Southwest Wheel. I just got my bearings replaced and repacked last summer at Redding Trailer Center in Redding, CA and then Smiley's in Mount Vernon, WA did a good job of welding a spring hanger on.

    All of these places did good work.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

  4. #4
    Site Team Ynot4me2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    ON & QC Canada
    Posts
    3,727
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even at the house there's always something to do, fix, replace. Then pack the tt for a trip and repeat. Isn't that part of the fun? Lol What would we do in our spare time if everything was working perfectly?

    Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

  5. #5
    Big Traveler Wicked ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southeast PA.
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to top it off.... After pushing for three days I arrived in Brunswick , Ga Monday for a long planned month long stay along the coast.
    When I was setting up I heard a snap from the front compartment and saw one leg of the landing gear wasn't moving. Investigation showed a snapped bolt on drive side of the landing gear cross bar. After snapping two more bolts I gave up. As I was replacing a bolt I noticed the spacer on the drive nib was cracked. Not from recent strain but made and installed that way. The following morning I Emailed my customer service rep with pictures and an explanation. She was quick to get back telling me she needed to get Lippert involved. I had an answer by the end of the day. Lippert would cover R or R a new drive mechanism and limited labor. Better than a poke in the eye and cudos with many thanks to Chris for stepping in and helping.
    I had a funny feeling there was more involved so with the cross bar unhooked I tried to raise the front on one leg and could see the follower leg moving with it. Something inside there is amiss as it should have remained stationary. A mobile tech came this morning and I showed him what I found. Fortunately I was able to find a replacement leg and it will be here next week.
    Unfortunately this is another trip marred by a gross failure of my Grand Design fifth wheel. If I was doing my usual 3 to 4 night stay along a route I would be screwed.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 03-05-2021 at 03:06 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

  6. #6
    Long Hauler geotex1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,581
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    And to top it off.... After pushing for three days I arrived in Brunswick , Ga Monday for a long planned month long stay along the coast.
    When I was setting up I heard a snap from the front compartment and saw one leg of the landing gear wasn't moving. Investigation showed a snapped bolt on drive side of the landing gear cross bar. After snapping two more bolts I gave up. As I was replacing a bolt I noticed the spacer on the drive nib was cracked. Not from recent strain but made and installed that way. The following morning I Emailed my customer service rep with pictures and an explanation. She was quick to get back telling me she needed to get Lippert involved. I had an answer by the end of the day. Lippert would cover R or R a new drive mechanism and limited labor. Better than a poke in the eye and cudos with many thanks to Chris for stepping in and helping.
    I had a funny feeling there was more involved so with the cross bar unhooked I tried to raise the front on one leg and could see the follower leg moving with it. Something inside there is amiss as it should have remained stationary. A mobile tech came this morning and I showed him what I found. Fortunately I was able to find a replacement leg and it will be here next week.
    Unfortunately this is another trip marred by a gross failure of my Grand Design fifth wheel. If I was doing my usual 3 to 4 night stay along a route I would be screwed.
    It's a broken weld in the telescoping tube. The nut that really supports the whole shebang is a known weak point. Aside from that, Cargo Trailer Sales is where I bought my gooseneck dump and they're good guys!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

    Mountains of Pennsylvania

  7. #7
    Rolling Along
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The nut that really supports the whole shebang is a known weak point.
    Known by who? Maybe I missed it, but if it is a known weak point, the manufacturer should release a bulletin letting owners know, no?

    Sorry to hear of your troubles Ace.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    We never really grow up. We just learn how to behave in public.

  8. #8
    Long Hauler geotex1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,581
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Known by who? Maybe I missed it, but if it is a known weak point, the manufacturer should release a bulletin letting owners know, no?

    Sorry to hear of your troubles Ace.
    LCI is well aware of it. Whether they will tell you is an entirely different matter. Fixing a lame Jayco when the weather breaks and I will grab pictures of the failure.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

    Mountains of Pennsylvania

  9. #9
    Big Traveler Wicked ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southeast PA.
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    It's a broken weld in the telescoping tube. The nut that really supports the whole shebang is a known weak point. Aside from that, Cargo Trailer Sales is where I bought my gooseneck dump and they're good guys!
    I know Cargo Trailer Sales here in Lansdale. I go to them for inspection, suspension work and the recent bearing greasing I posted above. They are very good guys! Unfortunately right now they are 900 miles away.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

  10. #10
    Big Traveler Wicked ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southeast PA.
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, double post
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.