User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxing Out Payloads of Your Tow Vehicle

New here. Great stuff in the forums.

Buying a new 22RBE and considering replacing a 2012 Silverado 1500. Looking at 2500HD gas burners (hard to find!!!) or possibly an F150 eco-boost 3.5. The 2500 will handle our payload easily, but if I were to go with the F150, I will most likely be maxing out the payload (2100). Have any of you ever had a problem running close to the maximum payload of your vehicle, especially an F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost?

Thanks!

FP

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Magic View Post

Buying a new 22RBE and considering replacing a 2012 Silverado 1500. Looking at 2500HD gas burners (hard to find!!!) or possibly an F150 eco-boost 3.5. The 2500 will handle our payload easily, but if I were to go with the F150, I will most likely be maxing out the payload (2100). Have any of you ever had a problem running close to the maximum payload of your vehicle, especially an F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost?

Thanks!

FP
    There are several members pulling the 150 series fifth wheels with F150s with the EcoBoost - but the secret is not the HD towing package (which is necessary, too), it's the HDPP (heavy-duty payload package). They are two different options and you may have problems finding one with the HDPP on a lot anywhere... it can always be ordered (but so can an F250 gasser).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by “maxing out” your payload?

If you are within the specs given by the manufacture what is the issue?

You do realize manufacturers don’t post the “maximum” a vehicle can actually carry
    They would never be at a “breaking point”

If it works go with it

My set up I can drive with one finger. Others sitting in my seat may be driving with white knuckles

Do what is best for you

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Magic View Post

Thanks!

FP
    Unless you have a vehicle in mind finding an F150 with 2100# payload is a rarity. Higher trim and more options take away from payload. You probably won't but that trailer you are looking at could easily reach 900# hitch weight. To be honest that trailer is pretty much in the F150's sweet spot. A nicely equipped XLT with the 3.5 Eco and the MAX TOW package would get you there with about 1700 to 1800# payload. You can get an idea at this link go to the last page and work back.
    https://www.f150forum.com/f82/post-your-payload-332538/
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel free to look at the Dodge Ram 2500. Will pull you rig safely.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m at maximum payload (maybe even above it depending on the trip) on my tundra and 2400BH. I use an Equalizer 10k hitch and have spent considerable time at the Cat scale dialing it in. I’ve also towed a bunch of other stuff with the tundra, which I was probably over the available payload but I never weighed those loads or trailers. I can say that even towing heavy, the tundra doesn’t look, drive or feel like it’s close to or even over its payload rating. Very stable and confident feeling. Yes, I would love a new 1-ton truck but after 2020, that’s not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

Years before the tundra, I owned a 2012 f150 ecoboost with the max towing package. I really wanted the HDPP but it was impossible to find and a hassle to order and I just couldn’t wait any longer at that time. I used that truck exactly like my Tundra, same loads, trailers and use. I found the f150 had much softer suspension and didn’t feel nearly as stable when towing heavy. I added some Roadmaster suspension and LT “E” rated tires and those helped tremendously but still it felt “loose” with a heavy trailer in tow. Part of it I believe is that the steering was quicker on that truck which made it twitchy on the freeways. Not sure how the current ones drive though. The ecoboost had a ton of low end power and was as close as you could get to turbo diesel power without the diesel premium price. Unfortunately, I was one of the unlucky ones that basically had a lemon. I had a lot of issues with that truck and I ended up trading it because we just couldn’t trust it anymore.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Exhaust brakes are brake savers

I love our RAM 3500 6.7 cummins with tow haul and the great exhaust break. I wouldn’t t leave home without it.
    Looking to purchase a 303rls.
    A diesel with an exhaust brake is a wonderful combination for those who tow RVs. Especially for mountain and long haul towing.
    The exhaust brake is an amazing invention....love it love it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a '12 F-150 with the 3.5 towing our Imagine 2650. CAT scales said I was overweight on my gross and rear axle, but the newer aluminum body trucks have a bigger payload (but less GVW.)
    Rather than spec out a new F-150 I opted for a F-250 gasser.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    I’m at maximum payload (maybe even above it depending on the trip) on my tundra and 2400BH. I use an Equalizer 10k hitch and have spent considerable time at the Cat scale dialing it in. I’ve also towed a bunch of other stuff with the tundra, which I was probably over the available payload but I never weighed those loads or trailers. I can say that even towing heavy, the tundra doesn’t look, drive or feel like it’s close to or even over its payload rating. Very stable and confident feeling. Yes, I would love a new 1-ton truck but after 2020, that’s not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

Years before the tundra, I owned a 2012 f150 ecoboost with the max towing package. I really wanted the HDPP but it was impossible to find and a hassle to order and I just couldn’t wait any longer at that time. I used that truck exactly like my Tundra, same loads, trailers and use. I found the f150 had much softer suspension and didn’t feel nearly as stable when towing heavy. I added some Roadmaster suspension and LT “E” rated tires and those helped tremendously but still it felt “loose” with a heavy trailer in tow. Part of it I believe is that the steering was quicker on that truck which made it twitchy on the freeways. Not sure how the current ones drive though. The ecoboost had a ton of low end power and was as close as you could get to turbo diesel power without the diesel premium price. Unfortunately, I was one of the unlucky ones that basically had a lemon. I had a lot of issues with that truck and I ended up trading it because we just couldn’t trust it anymore.
    I found the same thing with the Tundra. Very stable tow vehicle even when at it's limits or even a bit over. I was about 300 lbs over payload but just under axle rating when I towed my 297RSTS with mine. Would have gone with another Tundra but there is a chance we may upgrade to a larger 5th wheel at some point while we own this vehicle so made sure I had enough TV to pull what we could upgrade to.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Feel free to look at the Dodge Ram 2500. Will pull you rig safely.
    Thanks for all the responses. Leaning toward this ^^^^^^^..

fp

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast