User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newb with 21G Battle Born Upgrade Questions!

How's it going Grand Design gang?

Purchased a 2019 21G Series a couple months ago from the original owners who only used it once! We just took it on our maiden voyage last weekend to the desert after upgrading the China bomb Westlake tires to some Goodyear Endurance tires, with a TST-507 TPMS connected. Everything went well, except for the last night when the original lead-acid Interstate batter went dead on us and left us with no 12V power. So now we're looking to go the Battle Born route, but I have some questions for 21G owners who have done the same.

How many Battle Born batteries would I need? We boondock about 50% of the time and it's never for more than 4 or 5 nights. We have the onboard generator as well as a Honda EU2000 that we use when we're running things like our Camp Chef Pursuit smoker for several hours. So our batteries would be getting re-charged daily.

Also, are the Battle Born batteries with the built in heating unit worth the extra coin?

Lastly, I was planning on mounting the battery(ies) in some sort of trailer tongue tool/storage box behind the propane bottles. If any of you have done that sorta mod, can you recommend which brand of storage box worked best?

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Zeke27G; 02-26-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    Keep On Campin'

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke27G View Post
    How's it going Grand Design gang?

Purchased a 2019 21G Series a couple months ago from the original owners who only used it once! We just took it on our maiden voyage last weekend to the desert after upgrading the China bomb Westlake tires to some Goodyear Endurance tires, with a TST-507 TPMS connected. Everything went well, except for the last night when the original lead-acid Interstate batter went dead on us and left us with no 12V power. So now we're looking to go the Battle Born route, but I have some questions for 21G owners who have done the same.

How many Battle Born batteries would I need? We boondock about 50% of the time and it's never for more than 4 or 5 nights. We have the onboard generator as well as a Honda EU2000 that we use when we're running things like our Camp Chef Pursuit smoker for several hours. So our batteries would be getting re-charged daily.

Also, are the Battle Born batteries with the built in heating unit worth the extra coin?

Lastly, I was planning on mounting the battery(ies) in some sort of trailer tongue tool/storage box behind the propane bottles. If any of you have done that sorta mod, can you recommend which brand of storage box worked best?

Thank you so much!
    You don't say how many days you got out of your Lead Acid battery, however, if you are satisfied with the performance of the Lead Acid battery, to the point it died on you, then I would say a single Battle Born battery would suffice, based on your usage during this one trip. If, on the other hand, you would like to get a little more out of your electrical system, then I would suggest two BB batteries.

Based on your location (So Cal) I would not spring for the extra money to get heated batteries, unless you are going to be camping in very cold weather on a regular basis. You can discharge the BB batteries in cold weather, but you can not charge them in cold weather (below 32 degrees), consequently, even if you spend a cold night in the desert, as long as it warms up during the day you can charge your batteries after the temp has risen above freezing (I would recommend 35 +/-). Even if you do camp in freezing temperatures for a day or two, as long as your batteries will carry you through those days without needing to be charged you would still not need the heated batteries (unless you live and camp in Texas, then all bets are off).

As far as mounting your batteries, it is just a matter of finding a box that fits, or fabricating an appropriate box that fits the space and the batteries.

Good luck and post pictures when you are done.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you elect to go with the lithium, upgrading your converter to one designed for lithium batteries will increase the charge rate and decrease your charge time for the batteries. Traditional lead acid profiles on converters are not real efficient for charging lithium batteries.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the carbon foam AGM Oasis Firefly batteries we use. Same. Characteristics as lithium without the price or anger potentially. Con is the weight. Unlike other AGM can be drawn down to 20% or less levels with no penalty on cycles.

Used them for yers on our 35 ft sailboat. Many sailboat owners have gone to them

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Check out the carbon foam AGM Oasis Firefly batteries we use. Same. Characteristics as lithium without the price or anger potentially. Con is the weight. Unlike other AGM can be drawn down to 20% or less levels with no penalty on cycles.

Used them for yers on our 35 ft sailboat. Many sailboat owners have gone to them

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/
    Based on the price of these batteries and the weight I would definitely choose Battle Born.

If you are an Escapee member you can get a very decent discount on Battle Born batteries which make buying Battle Borne batteries even more attractive when compared to these Lead Acid batteries.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    If you elect to go with the lithium, upgrading your converter to one designed for lithium batteries will increase the charge rate and decrease your charge time for the batteries. Traditional lead acid profiles on converters are not real efficient for charging lithium batteries.
    So, if you're going to upgrade your converter/charger, now is the time to add an inverter/converter/charger so you can run microwave, TV etc. off your batteries as well.

Just a thought.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went ahead and ordered a pair of Battle Borns with the built in heaters as we do occasionally camp in some weather that can hang in the low 30's during the day. Also ordered their Progressive Dynamics converter charger and Victron battery monitor. When we plan to use our microwave, I'll just fire up our Honda EU2000 if I don't feel like running our onboard genie. Appreciate all of the feedback, and if anyone has any batter box recommendations for the tongue area, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking at those "RV Lock Box" dual battery boxes, but I don't exactly like the fact that they're not water proof.
    Keep On Campin'

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke27G View Post
    Went ahead and ordered a pair of Battle Borns with the built in heaters as we do occasionally camp in some weather that can hang in the low 30's during the day. Also ordered their Progressive Dynamics converter charger and Victron battery monitor. When we plan to use our microwave, I'll just fire up our Honda EU2000 if I don't feel like running our onboard genie. Appreciate all of the feedback, and if anyone has any batter box recommendations for the tongue area, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking at those "RV Lock Box" dual battery boxes, but I don't exactly like the fact that they're not water proof.
    On suggestion. Get a lock box that can hold 4 of the battle borns and for now just add insulation around the two. There are numerous tung battery boxes that can be made water proof. Try searching for tung battery box and not just RV lock box

Here is one from etrailer that might work. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Too...CABEgKW3fD_BwE
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    On suggestion. Get a lock box that can hold 4 of the battle borns and for now just add insulation around the two. There are numerous tung battery boxes that can be made water proof. Try searching for tung battery box and not just RV lock box

Here is one from etrailer that might work. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Too...CABEgKW3fD_BwE
    I put my Battle Born inside the storage compartment so that it is more secure, and warmer during cold weather. Just popped a small hole in the floor, with an Anderson quick connect weather-proof connector on the underside for my solar hook-up. I used the space on the tongue where the old batteries were for two more 20 lb propane bottles.

2019 Imagine XLS 19RLE trailer
    2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab 4X4, 6.6L Duramax Turbodiesel
    270W solar, 100 AmpHour Battle Born lithium ion #BB10012
    WeBoost Connect RV 65 cell signal booster
    Last edited by Outsider; 03-03-2021 at 11:18 AM. Reason: signature was missing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update!

My 2 heated Battle Borns have arrived. Battle Born also sold me a Victron BMV-712 and a Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV charger, but it definitely wasn't going to fit under my WFCO panel, so I called WFCO to figure out what my options were and as it turns out, they have a direct replacement charger (WF-8950L2-MBA) meant for charging lithium batteries and it will install in the same space as the original WFCO charger under their sub panel. Battle Born has sent me a return form to fill out to return the Progressive Dynamics charger.

For the Victron BMV-712, I poked around trying to see if their was any way to install the gauge in my control center located in the center of the trailer, but I feel I'd be opening a huge can of worms. For now, I believe the wood panel just above the WFCO sub panel is going to be my best spot to install it, and also, because I wouldn't mind being able to keep an eye on my battery gauge easily at night from the comfort of our bed! Unless someone has a better idea?

Lastly, I decided on a Torklift Power Armor battery box, I went with the 32" box as it should fit nicely on the tongue of our trailer. I'll be mounting the Victron shunt trip inside the battery box as well.

Any tips are much appreciated as I plan to start the install today if the WF-8950L2-MBA and Power Armor battery box both arrive?! Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Zeke27G; 03-09-2021 at 09:08 AM.
    Keep On Campin'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast