Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What generator to buy for an Imagine 3000QB

This is my first travel trailer other than a popup and I've never owned a generator so I'm trying to figure out what size I will need. I just bought a Honda EU2200i because I was advised to but have since been told that won't be big enough to run fridge and air con. And then just found out its got a recall on it.

Appreciate any advice on brands, models, sizes etc

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I use a Champion 3400 duel fuel inverter./generator. It will run a 13500 watt AC with no issues. The advantage of having the capability of running it on either LP or gasoline is what sold me on it. I did install a Micro-Aire soft start kit to make it easier to run. The Micro-Aire will allow me to run the AC on a smaller inverter/generator or a household plug.

With any inverter or generator you will need to either build or build your own bonding plug. These portable units have a floating ground and by using a bonding plug and using it in one of the onboard 20amp plugs, you will have a safe ground. Watch the following video. Mike is an RV electrical expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveKiwi View Post
    This is my first travel trailer other than a popup and I've never owned a generator so I'm trying to figure out what size I will need. I just bought a Honda EU2200i because I was advised to but have since been told that won't be big enough to run fridge and air con. And then just found out its got a recall on it.

I exclusively use my two Honda 2200's when I camp as I have never camped in a campground. I have the 2200i and 2200 companion that I can run linked together. I have needed to run them both at the same time only a few times, I generally run only one at a time.

I like having 2 smaller generators as they are easier to transport by myself. I used to have a Yamaha 3000 that weighed about 150 pounds. I loved that generator as it was my first (lol). It just became too much for me to transport by myself.

As far as the Honda recall goes, for me it is not a big deal. My Hondas had a recall last year for the fuel shut off valve issue, this year it has a recall for the circuit board fire. My generators have not shown the symptoms of either recall so I just take them in at the end of the camping season to get done.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ??? I read somewhere that a guy was running his AC on a Honda 2200. I have a 15 year old Honda 2000 that will run the converter, fridge, microwave, and my wife's hair dryer (but not all at once.) At the time Champions had just come out and people were having issues getting them serviced but that problem seems to have been resolved. Lots of people using Harbor Freight ones but I don't know the longevity of them.
    For years the gold standard was two Honda 2000's paralleled together.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3400 champion weighs 98 lbs. I can get it in and out of the truck by myself without getting a hernia. It will run one of the acs in our new 3000qb with no problem. Generator has to be able to start the ac and restart the ac when the ac slows down when it reaches the temp you set. Then it has to b ebb able webm to restart the ac when it kicks back in. Home depot was great in letting me buy smaller generators and then return if they didnt handle the ac and frig and tv at same time. The champion is a tad louder than the honda, now they are about 900 bucks. Mines thre ebb m years old and always starts by second pull. I think but dont know if it will handle both ac units at same time. I dont want to be anywhere where I need both units to stay cool.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an etrailer 3200 investor generator. Basicly a rebranded Firman. Works great in our 308bhts. I can run one A/C units, Fridge and all accessories without any issues. It's about 90 lbs. I usually have it mounted to our rear tow hitch.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200719_200121.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	28281

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD
    2017 308BHTS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jguzek View Post
    I have an etrailer 3200 investor generator. Basicly a rebranded Firman. Works great in our 308bhts. I can run one A/C units, Fridge and all accessories without any issues. It's about 90 lbs. I usually have it mounted to our rear tow hitch.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200719_200121.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	28281

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    We have the same one but with a remote to start and stop it. Love the remote and never had an issue so far with this gen

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a 2600rb and usually do state and national parks remote sites when possible so looked for a quiet gen. We bought a Predator 3500 inverter gen. Super quite, quite mode, push button start. Used for two trouble-free years now. I can pick it up and roll it into the stow, just fits the height and then lock the wheels for travel. Paid $649 for it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3400 champion. It easily runs one of the ac units and everything else. Am notm100 percent surenitnwill run both units at once. Buy from home depot and test. If wontnrun both where you are taken it back and move up then the larger unit. I can lift the 3400 by myself that was a big issue.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kduane01 View Post
    Have a 2600rb and usually do state and national parks remote sites when possible so looked for a quiet gen. We bought a Predator 3500 inverter gen. Super quite, quite mode, push button start. Used for two trouble-free years now. I can pick it up and roll it into the stow, just fits the height and then lock the wheels for travel. Paid $649 for it.
    We also use the Predator 3500, works great, quiet and dependable.
    Price is great.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast