Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to the RV world

Hello everyone
    My wife & I are new to the RV world. Lifelong bikers that have never camped in any way unless it involved an air mattress & tent. We are recently retired and am now looking at a MOMENTUM G-CLASS 21G to dip our toes into the RV camping world.
    We have been researching several different manufactures and sizes of campers. As of right now I drive a 1/2 ton Nissan Titan they tell me will pull 9000lbs. We really don't want to invest in a different 3/4 ton pickup to haul any larger camper although ideally that would be nice. Like I said were dipping our toes in first.
    I ride a Harley Roadglide and she drives a Can Am F3 Spyder. Either will fit in the 21G BUT obviously only 1 at a time so at least one of us will ride to our destinations which is OK by me.
    So tonight I read some reviews on the 21G & 4 out of 5 of the reviews on RV Insider were HORRIBLE!!!! I guess that's what I get for doing my research huh??? Anyway I thought here might be a good place to ask for advice from like minded people.
    How is Grand design to deal with?
    Does anyone have any real life experience with the 21G?
    Any advice for a rookie?
    Any & all help will be much appreciated.
    Thank you all ahead of time.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerHobo View Post
    Hello everyone...
    How is Grand design to deal with?
    Does anyone have any real life experience with the 21G?
    Any advice for a rookie?
    Any & all help will be much appreciated.
    Thank you all ahead of time.
    Welcome to the forum and the world of RV'ing. First off many people expect RV's to be built to high standards, they are not. This leads to many writing bad reviews of RV's because their expectations have not been met. It's natural for them to do this. The flip side is folks that really enjoy their RV and are willing to put up with the current RV build quality. This is pretty much true across all brands of RV. Now there are occasionally some problems with a particular make/model, this leads to even more bad reviews. So the point I am trying to make is to take bad reviews with a grain of salt and try to discern from them if there is a specific inherent problem with that make/model or if the person is just disappointed in general.

The 9000 pound limit on the Nissan is going to cause an issue for you. According to GD web info 21G has a max rating of 9995, a little more than the Nissan is rated for. Take your time to find the floor plan that is going to work for you. Spending a lot of money on an RV that doesn't really do what you want it to do leads to disappointment and bad reviews. We thought we had found the perfect RV, then talking to a factory rep at an RV show he talked us out of dropping $60k on a big RV, we were still working at the time and could only travel on weekends. He told us we should by a little 24' TT and use that, much easier to manage, pack, unpack, clean, pull, park, etc. It's enough for the weekends, then when we do retire (our plan at the time) and go fulltime get the big RV. Right RV at the right time.

Most find Grand Design easy to work with. A few have not been happy, their expectations were not met. My personal experience is that they are a responsible corporation. They are not going to give away the bank, but they respond well to folks that are willing to take time to communicate the actual problem they are facing. They paid for all of my warranty issues and have even provided support after the warranty ran out. Their repair teams made repairs at a GD rally well after my warranty ran out. They work hard at customer service.

Sorry no experience with the 21g, just RV's in general.

Rookie advice. Be honest with yourself about what you plan to do. When you get to your destination what will you do? Is the main purpose of your travel to ride, explore, just relax and commune with nature etc.? Then look at the RV from a purpose stand point. Take a little time right now while you are shopping to plot out a dream trip. Where will you stay what will you do?

Be willing to be flexible with loading your bikes. We kept my wife's motorcycle in the kitchen while traveling. Didn't really plan that, it was about our third option to solve the problem of taking it with us.

Even though you love your Nisaan it may not be enough truck to pull the camper and carry two motorcycles. My advice is to decide on an RV that will work for you, then get a truck that will pull it easily without risking safety. Of course there is the other option. I have a close friend that so loves his Toyota Tacoma that he refused to trade it in to accommodate a larger RV. He bought a little Casita to pull behind it. I don't listen to him when he complains about having to leave his bicycles and kayaks behind because there is not enough room.

The only right answer is the one that works for you. Good luck with your shopping.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 02-27-2021 at 09:42 AM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750