User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22MLE Routing 12V wiring in passthrough

I'm installing the cubbies as my own mod, and I'm adding power. In addition to 120V, I'm putting in 12V powered USB / 12V outlet. I can access the main 12V feed at the cutoff switch. I will also mount a 10A fuse on the passthrough control panel. My issue is access to frame ground. I will install the 12V on each side of the bed. If I can get to frame ground on the passenger side, it would be easier.

Can I drill through floor of passthrough? Passenger side, in corner just to left of passthrough door opening.
    Is there another / better access point?
    How do you remove the control panel front? I removed the metal corner, but the panel won't budge.
    If I could get better access I could simply run the ground wire back to the control panel, rather than drill through the pass through floor.

Thanks!
    Charlie and Barbara
    2017 RAM 2500 - 6.4 Hemi
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRoasta View Post
    I'm installing the cubbies as my own mod, and I'm adding power. In addition to 120V, I'm putting in 12V powered USB / 12V outlet. I can access the main 12V feed at the cutoff switch. I will also mount a 10A fuse on the passthrough control panel. My issue is access to frame ground. I will install the 12V on each side of the bed. If I can get to frame ground on the passenger side, it would be easier.

Can I drill through floor of passthrough? Passenger side, in corner just to left of passthrough door opening.
    Is there another / better access point?
    How do you remove the control panel front? I removed the metal corner, but the panel won't budge.
    If I could get better access I could simply run the ground wire back to the control panel, rather than drill through the pass through floor.

Thanks!
    I'm interested in pictures as you do your build. I'm thinking of doing the same. Can you not simply tie in to the existing 12v outlet on the drivers side and extend from there?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added several extra 12v sockets on my 2800bh. When I added one in the passthrough area, I simply tapped into the light in there as it has a positive and negative lead going to it.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about tapping in, but I want to make sure that I get heavy gage wire. It looks like if I pull the panel out in the pass through, that is up against the inside of the trailer, that I can then pull the small panel for the water and electric. Behind that panel, I can get to main feeds, and it' supposed to expose floor access to the undercarraige. I'll find out this weekend.

Here are the pictures of the boxes, so far. They are ready for install.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201115_180357.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	30731
    Charlie and Barbara
    2017 RAM 2500 - 6.4 Hemi
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about tapping in, but I want to make sure that I get heavy gage wire. It looks like if I pull the panel out in the pass through, that is up against the inside of the trailer, that I can then pull the small panel for the water and electric. Behind that panel, I can get to main feeds, and it' supposed to expose floor access to the undercarraige. I'll find out this weekend.

Here are the pictures of the boxes, so far. They are ready for install.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201115_180357.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	30731
    Looking good. Will you have to shorten the drawers?

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. There's just about space for a 10x10 box. The vertical depends more on the mattress. I have a 10 inch mattress there. A shorter mattress allows it to go lower.

The top of the box is limited by the rails holding up the bottom of the closet. If you look closely, there are nail heads running along the panels facing the bed. I also gave a little extra for absolute clearance, and I want to put a cleat on all sides of the opening. The wall at td he back of the drawers is also avoided by an inch or two. I'm also trying not to get too close to the front wall, and I need another 3/4 inch or so on the front wall for the trim.

I have cut the holes, and it all works. I'm writing things up, taking pictures, etc., and I'll post everything once I'm done. Including dimensions.
    I will say that if you are not handy with tools, do not try this. And a good table saw and router make things far easier.
    Charlie and Barbara
    2017 RAM 2500 - 6.4 Hemi
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. There's just about space for a 10x10 box. The vertical depends more on the mattress. I have a 10 inch mattress there. A shorter mattress allows it to go lower.

The top of the box is limited by the rails holding up the bottom of the closet. If you look closely, there are nail heads running along the panels facing the bed. I also gave a little extra for absolute clearance, and I want to put a cleat on all sides of the opening. The wall at td he back of the drawers is also avoided by an inch or two. I'm also trying not to get too close to the front wall, and I need another 3/4 inch or so on the front wall for the trim.

I have cut the holes, and it all works. I'm writing things up, taking pictures, etc., and I'll post everything once I'm done. Including dimensions.
    I will say that if you are not handy with tools, do not try this. And a good table saw and router make things far easier.
    I'm anxiously waiting for your post. [emoji847]

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same! We want to do this also. Sad that we bought our 2021 before GD added the cubbies.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 2650 I drilled a hole in the floor inside the hookup center, ran a 6ga ground line, and tied it to the frame grounding screw. The ground does triple duty - it grounds the water pump relay I installed, the IOTA deck-mount converter inside the hookup center, and the solar controller on the back wall.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From another tip, I was able to access behind the water / electrical panel in the pass through. The short side panel comes out. Remove the metal corner bracket, then you remove the screws in the piece of square trim that runs vertical, between the short panel and the main panel at the back of the pass through. Comes out easily. Inside, there is a 3" hole in the floor going into the belly. All of the cables and hoses run through there. If you remove the long panel at the back of pass through, on the passenger side, there is a smaller penetration to the belly, with 2 pieces of Romex wiring, going to the outlet. I was able to fish a double 12AWG for DC through it, and then another piece of 14 AWG Romex, though that was very tight. Passing the cables through the belly was no big deal. You will want some good sealant since you have to break a little sealant that GD put in. I'll probably use Geocel, and I have some gray expanding foam. They use a rubber like sealant, and expanding foam. Here's the boxes with the trim cut. I didn't get to finish the install this weekend, because the wiring took longer than expected. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201121_140316.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	30811
    Charlie and Barbara
    2017 RAM 2500 - 6.4 Hemi
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast