Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide ripped the floor

Well, first factory issue after a few thousand miles and about a week in the 351. Went to pull the slides in today at home and the slide with the range/fridge somehow caught the floor. Talked to the dealer and they'll get it fixed up, but they want me to get it over to them for repair. No big deal, they are pretty close, but... How do I get this slide in without tearing up more flooring? Any idea on what might be wrong that I can adjust/fix to get the slide in and then to the dealer so they can repair the damage? It seems that the right corner (facing the fridge/range) is too low as the slide pulls in. Something must have gotten knocked out of alignment because it was fine before we made the drive home a few days ago (pulled in just fine) and actually, was fine going out here at home too. Attaching some pictures to give an idea of what we're dealing with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191231_170517.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	24096

Name:	20191231_170556.jpg 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	24097

Name:	20191231_170535.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	24098

https://youtu.be/GY8bQxsj1mQ

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Well, first factory issue after a few thousand miles and about a week in the 351. Went to pull the slides in today at home and the slide with the range/fridge somehow caught the floor. Talked to the dealer and they'll get it fixed up, but they want me to get it over to them for repair. No big deal, they are pretty close, but... How do I get this slide in without tearing up more flooring? Any idea on what might be wrong that I can adjust/fix to get the slide in and then to the dealer so they can repair the damage? It seems that the right corner (facing the fridge/range) is too low as the slide pulls in. Something must have gotten knocked out of alignment because it was fine before we made the drive home a few days ago (pulled in just fine) and actually, was fine going out here at home too. Attaching some pictures to give an idea of what we're dealing with.

Name:	20191231_170517.jpg 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	24096

Name:	20191231_170556.jpg 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	24097

Name:	20191231_170535.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	24098

https://youtu.be/GY8bQxsj1mQ
    No doubt dealer wants you to bring it in so they can also adjust the slide. I've not had a GD very long, but I can tell you that all of my other campers with slides needed a yearly readjust of the slides using the through-frame, Lippert slide room mechanisms. You can project the flooring with commercially available or homemade floor protectors.

By chance, anyone step on that corner while the slide was in? It's REALLY easy to pop the floor fasteners out of the sidewall doing that.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    No doubt dealer wants you to bring it in so they can also adjust the slide. I've not had a GD very long, but I can tell you that all of my other campers with slides needed a yearly readjust of the slides using the through-frame, Lippert slide room mechanisms. You can project the flooring with commercially available or homemade floor protectors.

By chance, anyone step on that corner while the slide was in? It's REALLY easy to pop the floor fasteners out of the sidewall doing that.
    Don't think anyone stepped on it, can't say for sure. You'd have to be trying though, it's a strange place to step in this rig (there's no reason to put your foot there).

I'm thinking of using a section of old carpet under the slide to bring it in, just hope it doesn't tear anything up worse than it already is, but, hey, guess that's the dealer's problem to deal with (which is why I contacted them first, they told me to bring it in (and bring the slide in obviously to drive it to them), so hey, their problem, right). If it wasn't under warranty, I'd start looking, I'm sure I can adjust it/fix it myself, but, well, that's what a warranty is for, right?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Don't think anyone stepped on it, can't say for sure. You'd have to be trying though, it's a strange place to step in this rig (there's no reason to put your foot there).

I'm thinking of using a section of old carpet under the slide to bring it in, just hope it doesn't tear anything up worse than it already is, but, hey, guess that's the dealer's problem to deal with (which is why I contacted them first, they told me to bring it in (and bring the slide in obviously to drive it to them), so hey, their problem, right). If it wasn't under warranty, I'd start looking, I'm sure I can adjust it/fix it myself, but, well, that's what a warranty is for, right?
    Same thing happened to us on first day out on a week trip with the grandkids. I cut the bottom out of a gallon of water and used a corner of the bottom under the corner of the slide. I just kept it there for the remainder of the trip and the 2 times we had to use the slides for the trip home. Mine is a 337. Same tear same place.
    Jim and Tonya
    Fur baby Sadie
    2011 f350 ccs lb
    2019 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thru the frame slide outs should not require “yearly” adjustment if adjusted properly ... there are only two sets of adjustments and these affect vertical and lateral position of the side outs. It so7ndsmlike either you have some staples that have worked thru and are damaging the floor when slide moves or something has gotten under neath front edge of that slide out..

Should be easy repair

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    The thru the frame slide outs should not require “yearly” adjustment if adjusted properly ... there are only two sets of adjustments and these affect vertical and lateral position of the side outs. It so7ndsmlike either you have some staples that have worked thru and are damaging the floor when slide moves or something has gotten under neath front edge of that slide out..

Should be easy repair
    x2. Owned our last 5er for 6 years and never once made an adjustment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common problem. My 337 is at the dealer for out of warranty repair complements of Grand Design. GD is easy to work with, dealer doesn't advocate on my behalf which is disappointing. I've been told "Lippert slide slickers" help prevent the floor tearing. Search Lippert slide slickers on Amazon, about $50 a pair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post

Should be easy repair
    How do you do the adjustments?
    I would like to learn.
    Our dinette slide is leaving rub marks on the floor. I think from the roller and too much friction.
    Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viper
    Have you done this adjustment?

Vertical adjustment
    1. Loosen 2 carriage bolts (Fig. 17A) on each bracket located at the end of each guide tube.
    2. Loosen jam nut (Fig. 18A).
    3. For vertical adjustment, turn vertical adjustment bolt (Fig. 18B) up or down to locate room height.
    4. Once room height is located, tighten jam nut (Fig. 18A) and 2 carriage bolts (Fig. 17A).

I think I need to raise the slide just a hair to release just a bit of pressure on the slide rollers by doing the above adjustment.

Thoughts??? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast