User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General GD reflection fifth wheel trailer quality

Hi all. Just joined the forum today. We are currently seriously considering a 2017 Reflection 26rl and are wondering if there any known issues with these units or GD reflection trailers in general. At least this one is pre covid! We currently have a bumper pull from Crossroads but I have always preferred a 5er. Other than no outdoor kitchen this rig checks almost all of our must have boxes and Deb loves the kitchen layout. Interior seems well built and solid and exterior has held up well with little fading. A bit more expensive than others available from different manufacturers but hopefully the build quality makes up for it.

Looking forward to getting the groups feedback and hopefully becoming permanent members!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre-Covid rigs are likely to have less issues. Knowing the rig is used it would be anyone guess what may or may not be wrong with it.
    I would recommend having a Cert RV Tech come out and look over the rig for you and get an honest review of the rig. Welcome, and Good Luck!
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan and Deb View Post
    Hi all. Just joined the forum today. We are currently seriously considering a 2017 Reflection 26rl and are wondering if there any known issues with these units or GD reflection trailers in general. At least this one is pre covid! We currently have a bumper pull from Crossroads but I have always preferred a 5er. Other than no outdoor kitchen this rig checks almost all of our must have boxes and Deb loves the kitchen layout. Interior seems well built and solid and exterior has held up well with little fading. A bit more expensive than others available from different manufacturers but hopefully the build quality makes up for it.

Looking forward to getting the groups feedback and hopefully becoming permanent members!
    That's what we have. 2017 26RL. It's been a really good rig. I will place a disclaimer on it - it was the RV show model they had that year, so we think it may have been put together with a bit more care than you sometimes find. I could be wrong about that.

The decal on the top of the nose was deteriorating quite badly, so my husband removed it. The others are also degrading, but not as obviously.

I echo the "get a certified RV tech" out to check things out before you make a decision. The rig could have been in A+ condition at one time, but not treated well by previous owners. Sorry, I just don't take anyone's word on "it's in great condition" when buying used.

The biggest thing we found out (it was our first RV) you can't access the bathroom or bedroom with the slides in. Or the fridge, either. But I, also, really like the kitchen layout.

Other things (nothing that I consider "major):
    The heating element on the recliners have both failed. And the fake leather has started peeling pretty badly.

Broken spring hanger (I put the blame on the Canadian/Alaskan roads)

A piece of trim on the dining room slide came off, we just put it back up.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 12-21-2021 at 04:51 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. Will be buying from a reputable dealer, not private and this will be our 3rd trailer as well as having had 2 slide in truck campers so not too worried about an inspection. We have not had a chance to visit with with any GD owners so we were more concerned with the brands overall quality. Fit and finish on the unit we looked at seemed above average compared to others we have seen so are hoping the rest of the construction is the same.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compared to what?

GD has a good reputation and I've found ours is pretty well done. But the Reflection line is a distinct step down from Solitude and Momentum. I believe it's above the cheaper lines and maybe similar to similarly priced brands.

Nothing I've seen from GD approaches Mobile Suites, Tiffin or Newmar quality.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, for us it is the law of diminishing returns lol. Both time (over 70) and bank account! Would love to have a bigger, more luxurious rig but not full timers and most camping done in provincial or state parks so under 30 ft is a bonus. Actually downsizing from a 34ft. Trying to find a balance between quality, amenities and budget.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to me that we haven't seen any of the brand's you have mentioned here in eastern Ontario. We have seen them on the net but never in person.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan and Deb View Post
    Thanks, for us it is the law of diminishing returns lol. Both time (over 70) and bank account! Would love to have a bigger, more luxurious rig but not full timers and most camping done in provincial or state parks so under 30 ft is a bonus. Actually downsizing from a 34ft. Trying to find a balance between quality, amenities and budget.
    In my opinion, and based on what we see the opinions of many others, Grand Design is exactly that, a balance. They have a better reputation than many other brands. Likely due to (still limited but better than other brands) quality control, and definitely due to customer service. The trailers themselves are built using the same components available in other brands. But Grand Design does seem to use the better of the mass market components, and makes changes if something gives them issue.

BUT, on a 2017, it all comes down to how it was maintained. Get on the roof, look around the windows, test everything. Water is the enemy. Look at tire wear and make sure it’s even, get in the garage and look at the frame connection between the front and rear. There’s a lot to a good inspection. If you don’t uncover any major issues, it’s likely a good trailer. Since you aren’t new to RVing, likely none of this is new for you, so that makes it easier.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with others, Reflections are as good as and likely better than others in the same price range. Especially a 2017 would pre-date much of the lower quality control seen today. I have a 150 Series built in 2019 and my only complaints are in regards to components being used, and not many quality control or build issues. Again, I doubt you are going to do better for same amount of money.

The 26RL was what initially led me to GD. It weighted a little more than I wanted so I went with a 150 Series. The only downside to that model in my opinion is having to open the slide to get to bathroom. I big issue while traveling on the road.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opening the slide is the main issue as well for my wife, otherwise we would have pulled the trigger already. Going to have a good look at it again on the 6th. Plan to inspect frame, underbelly tires etc while Deb goes over the interior. She is pickier than I am lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast