User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Newbie asks 'Axles and Brakes?'

Jumping into the Fifth Wheel world - see lots of discussions about Axel upgrades and Disc Brakes -

Purchasing a Solitude 310GK - I see lots of discussion about upgrading Axels to 7000# or even 8000#. What is the benefit of the higher axel ratings?

Similar on Brakes - How much do the Disc Brakes add as compared to the factory installed brakes

thanks everyone

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 310 GK, I went to the expense of adding Disc Brakes to my 5th Wheel.

I am glad I added them and I highly recommend having Disc Brakes, either as a Factory option (I recommend upgrading to 8k axles along with the disc brakes from Factory) or as an aftermarket retrofit.

Unless you can get both the 8k axles and Disc Brakes installed aftermarket, for less expense as the Disc Brakes alone I don't see any benefit to upgrading your axles to 8k after you purchase the 5th Wheel.

PS: the 310 GK comes with 7k axles.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the MORryde independent suspension with disc brakes installed our our Solitude 310GK-R. Had we not done that, I would definitely have gone for the factory 8K axle upgrade which comes with electric-over-hydraulic disc brakes and 17.5" load range H tires. It increases the GVWR by 3,000 lbs. (As @SolarPoweredRV said, the 310 comes stock with 7K axles.) We've had disc brakes on both of our fifth wheels and it reduces the stopping distance by 40% or more - there's no comparison between the disc brakes and electric drum brakes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBISS7 View Post
    Jumping into the Fifth Wheel world - see lots of discussions about Axel upgrades and Disc Brakes -

Purchasing a Solitude 310GK - I see lots of discussion about upgrading Axels to 7000# or even 8000#. What is the benefit of the higher axel ratings?

Similar on Brakes - How much do the Disc Brakes add as compared to the factory installed brakes

thanks everyone
    The base install doesn't provide much safety overhead. Most of us end up having more in our trailers than we intend. Upgrading axles, brakes and tires gives me more piece of mind. I upgraded my Momentum to 8k hydraulic disc brakes and 17.5" Good Years back in 16' before it was an option. If you can do the work yourself; you could save $$ over what the factory charges, but is it worth the hassle?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	246.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	32393

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We had the MORryde independent suspension with disc brakes installed our our Solitude 310GK-R. Had we not done that, I would definitely have gone for the factory 8K axle upgrade which comes with electric-over-hydraulic disc brakes and 17.5" load range H tires. It increases the GVWR by 3,000 lbs. (As @SolarPoweredRV said, the 310 comes stock with 7K axles.) We've had disc brakes on both of our fifth wheels and it reduces the stopping distance by 40% or more - there's no comparison between the disc brakes and electric drum brakes.

Rob
    Not sure about the Solitude, but we just ordered a Momentum 395MS with the 8K axle and disc brake upgrade. On that unit, it takes the GVWR from 20k to 21K. So even though you add 1K per axle * 3 axles of actual axle capacity, it only adds 1k total to the GVWR.
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum
    2019 Starcraft Mossy Oak 26BH - Getting ready to sell!
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
    Not sure about the Solitude, but we just ordered a Momentum 395MS with the 8K axle and disc brake upgrade. On that unit, it takes the GVWR from 20k to 21K. So even though you add 1K per axle * 3 axles of actual axle capacity, it only adds 1k total to the GVWR.
    Yep - each unit is different since there are a lot of different variables.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015