User Tag List

Thread: Leaking toilet?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaking toilet?

As the temps have recently been above freezing I decided to check out the trailer. One thing I noticed immediately was pink water at the base of the toilet. I'm not sure how that might have happened after winterization. I blew the lines with the compressor and injected anti freeze into the lines. Anyone else had this problem? It's kind of hard to tell from the GDs parts lookup web site the brand of the toilet but to me it looks like it's a Dometic 320. The bummer is we're out of warranty.

Also speaking of Dometic 320, it appears that the design of the toilet is faulty. If that's the case then it will suck to replace the toilet every 2 years or so.

Edit:

Actually I think this is Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II toilet and not Dometic.
    Last edited by luke79; 02-28-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    As the temps have recently been above freezing I decided to check out the trailer. One thing I noticed immediately was pink water at the base of the toilet. I'm not sure how that might have happened after winterization. I blew the lines with the compressor and injected anti freeze into the lines. Anyone else had this problem? It's kind of hard to tell from the GDs parts lookup web site the brand of the toilet but to me it looks like it's a Dometic 320. The bummer is we're out of warranty.

Also speaking of Dometic 320, it appears that the design of the toilet is faulty. If that's the case then it will suck to replace the toilet every 2 years or so.

Edit:

Actually I think this is Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II toilet and not Dometic.
    Hi did somebody step on the flush pedal as you blew the lines out. If not the valve froze with water in it.

Richard and Kim
    Charlotte NC
    2020 29RS
    2012 Ford F250 CC 3.73 6.2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 760volvo View Post
    Hi did somebody step on the flush pedal as you blew the lines out. If not the valve froze with water in it.
    Yeah, I had just air coming out of the jets.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 760volvo View Post
    @luke79, I'd ask this question differently: when winterizing did you flush the toilet until pink antifreeze was gathering in the bowl?

If you didn't then @760volvo may be correct - the valve or something else in the flushing/spraying network inside the toilet may have cracked. Best to wait until you can have someone pressurize the water system while you watch to see where the leak is occurring.

In any case, I'll step into my role as Dometic's head of promotion (I actually have NO connection with Dometic). You are correct that your toilet is probably the Thetford, and I consider replacing it with the Dometic 320 one of the best upgrades we've done. It's bigger and more comfortable, with a solid seat, deeper bowl, real full-rim flush. Its sealing ring (the part that is most likely to wear out some day) can be popped out and replaced in seconds vs. dismantling the Thetford for the same task, and there seem to be many fewer reports of valve failure on them.

So, at the slightest opportunity I do the sales pitch above, wanting others to have the same wonderful toilet experience we have.

Hope everything resolves well for you.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    @luke79, I'd ask this question differently: when winterizing did you flush the toilet until pink antifreeze was gathering in the bowl?

If you didn't then @760volvo may be correct - the valve or something else in the flushing/spraying network inside the toilet may have cracked. Best to wait until you can have someone pressurize the water system while you watch to see where the leak is occurring.

In any case, I'll step into my role as Dometic's head of promotion (I actually have NO connection with Dometic). You are correct that your toilet is probably the Thetford, and I consider replacing it with the Dometic 320 one of the best upgrades we've done. It's bigger and more comfortable, with a solid seat, deeper bowl, real full-rim flush. Its sealing ring (the part that is most likely to wear out some day) can be popped out and replaced in seconds vs. dismantling the Thetford for the same task, and there seem to be many fewer reports of valve failure on them.

So, at the slightest opportunity I do the sales pitch above, wanting others to have the same wonderful toilet experience we have.

Thanks for the post. Yes, when winterizing I had it pressed long enough that the antifreeze fluid was accumulating in the bowl. Speaking of the Dometic brand toilet, from what I read on their web site and Amazon there is really no way to replace the seal between the pedestal and the bowl? Is it true? That supposedly is the weak point and can lead to leaks. I'll probably pressurize the entire system next weekend or in two weeks; just depends on the weather. I contacted the dealer, they actually think most likely the gasket between the base and the floor has failed. Well, we'll see.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post. Yes, when winterizing I had it pressed long enough that the antifreeze fluid was accumulating in the bowl. Speaking of the Dometic brand toilet, from what I read on their web site and Amazon there is really no way to replace the seal between the pedestal and the bowl? Is it true? That supposedly is the weak point and can lead to leaks.
    I think you may have crossed the streams on that information. In order to replace the bowl seal on the Thetford it's necessary to uninstall the toilet, separate its pedestal into its two parts, replace the seal, and then reassemble the toilet and reinstall it. The process has brought grief to some people.

To replace the bowl seal on the Dometic it's necessary to depress the foot pedal, reach in and pry out the seal, and insert a new on in its place. I may be wrong but I *think* the Dometic toilet is one piece from the rim to the floor. If not, there's no common requirement to separate pedestal parts. I've never seen reports of it leaking from anywhere but the foot valve or the supply connection - even those reports are rare. The most common leak report I've seen is at the supply, which often just needs to be tightened.

I'll probably pressurize the entire system next weekend or in two weeks; just depends on the weather. I contacted the dealer, they actually think most likely the gasket between the base and the floor has failed. Well, we'll see.
    Sounds like you think the dealer advice is likely incorrect - I agree. There's just yawning space between the ball in your toilet and the conduit to your black tank. Even if your ball seal has failed there's not much chance of antifreeze gathering and then seeping through a failed flange gasket out onto the floor. I'd guess that leading candidates for your failure are supply connection, foot valve, or something internal in the toilet's spray/flush system, in that order.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you may have crossed the streams on that information. In order to replace the bowl seal on the Thetford it's necessary to uninstall the toilet, separate its pedestal into its two parts, replace the seal, and then reassemble the toilet and reinstall it. The process has brought grief to some people.

To replace the bowl seal on the Dometic it's necessary to depress the foot pedal, reach in and pry out the seal, and insert a new on in its place. I may be wrong but I *think* the Dometic toilet is one piece from the rim to the floor. If not, there's no common requirement to separate pedestal parts. I've never seen reports of it leaking from anywhere but the foot valve or the supply connection - even those reports are rare. The most common leak report I've seen is at the supply, which often just needs to be tightened.

Sounds like you think the dealer advice is likely incorrect - I agree. There's just yawning space between the ball in your toilet and the conduit to your black tank. Even if your ball seal has failed there's not much chance of antifreeze gathering and then seeping through a failed flange gasket out onto the floor. I'd guess that leading candidates for your failure are supply connection, foot valve, or something internal in the toilet's spray/flush system, in that order.

Good luck.

I looked at the supply lines and didn't notice any cracks or other worrying signs. Speaking of Thetford vs Dometic or any other RV toilet out there. Are there standards for these things when it comes to bolt placement etc? I don't want to go to a different brand just to find out that it won't fit without several additional changes.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the supply lines and didn't notice any cracks or other worrying signs. Speaking of Thetford vs Dometic or any other RV toilet out there. Are there standards for these things when it comes to bolt placement etc? I don't want to go to a different brand just to find out that it won't fit without several additional changes.
    Sorry, not an expert here, but the Dometic was a drop-in replacement for the Thetford in both of our two GD trailers (a 2018 Reflection 320MKS and our current one below).

That seems to be the case for most, but there have been a small number of reports of not having enough space from the center of the hole to the wall. IIRC the Dometic requires almost an inch more space in that dimension. Usually, there's enough room despite that difference. I saw one person report that he had to unscrew the flange from the floor, pull the flange forward a bit, and screw it back down again - a very easy fix. I've seen only one report of someone being completely unable to make it work; that was in the rear bathroom of a Momentum.

It's a pretty safe bet, and I've been giving that advice frequently enough that I'd probably not be alive to give it to you again if it was bad advice.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 03-01-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wanting others to have the same wonderful toilet experience we have.

Damn near choked from laughing at this
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II, almost 4 years old. That means me and my toilet have spend some time together on the floor where I am ripping all of it's guts out. Along about page five of this manual you find a nice blow up parts chart of the AM style II. I have found the parts to be available on Amazon. 7/16 inch offset socket gets it off the ground. Nice quick connect screw in water hose connector at the back. (That could easily be your water leak, I had to tighten mine).

Other than the disgusting ring, which all the parts packages send you a new one, the only problem I had was to get the lever lined up with the spring and the controller arms. Your gonna have to be a little strong for this, you have to move that spring about 1/4 inch to get it lined up.

Is there a better toilet out there, probably.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750