User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S-Class cabinets versus regular Solitude

My wife and I were at a dealership today and walked through a Keystone Montana then a Montana High Country. We both agreed that the Montana High Country fit and finish was noticably lower quality than the Montana. Thinner doors that didn't line up as well, and general fit and finish that honestly were not as good as our GD Reflection.

This got us thinking about the difference between a Solitude S-Class and a full Solitude. Are they both made of the same quality materials with the same fit and finish? The Montana's deffinately were not.

Thanks
    Jesse & Anita
    2021 Solitude S-Class 2930RL-R
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 long bed SRW, Duramax Diesel. B&W Companion hitch on B&W turnover goose ball

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Keystone Montana line is definitely a step above the Montana High Country. I liked the Montana High Country toy hauler layout but it is not available in the higher end model so we went with Grand Design. If I were to purchase another RV it will most definitely be a toy hauler but at this time I won't consider it because of the quality issues with ours.
    2020 Solitude 310GKR
    2003 F350 PSD

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no difference between them. In fact, I purchased some door and drawer fronts from a Solitude model to make the custom cabinets I added to our S-Class.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like GD stopped making the 3350RL. It looks like a great floorplan, so I'm surprised they aren't making them currently.
    Jesse & Anita
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 long bed SRW, Duramax Diesel. B&W Companion hitch on B&W turnover goose ball

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenerus View Post
    It looks like GD stopped making the 3350RL. It looks like a great floorplan, so I'm surprised they aren't making them currently.
    They did, and we believe it was short-sighted doing so. There was a TON of chatter about the floorplan, and a lot of current GD owners of different lines/models were targeting it for their future upgrade, which most folks need to plan over a period of time. So, the floorplan was slow selling in GD's eyes the few years on the market, but we think if it was given more time it would have taken off considering a great length, spacious bathroom, and absolutely a TON of storage with matching cargo carrying capacity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    They did, and we believe it was short-sighted doing so. There was a TON of chatter about the floorplan, and a lot of current GD owners of different lines/models were targeting it for their future upgrade, which most folks need to plan over a period of time. So, the floorplan was slow selling in GD's eyes the few years on the market, but we think if it was given more time it would have taken off considering a great length, spacious bathroom, and absolutely a TON of storage with matching cargo carrying capacity!
    One of the Keystone Montanas we saw a couple of weeks ago is identical to your 3350RL. Same floorplan and almost identical length. The dealer told me that model sells really well due to the two sink bathroom.

We've been looking at the 2930RL-R. We really like the bedroom layout and it has more cupboards, drawers and a bigger pantry than a 310Gk we looked at. I was just trying to figure out if there was any material difference between the S-Class and the full Solitudes. It sounds like the differneces are the appliances and the leveling system. Anything else we should be aware of?
    Jesse & Anita

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenerus View Post
    One of the Keystone Montanas we saw a couple of weeks ago is identical to your 3350RL. Same floorplan and almost identical length. The dealer told me that model sells really well due to the two sink bathroom.

We've been looking at the 2930RL-R. We really like the bedroom layout and it has more cupboards, drawers and a bigger pantry than a 310Gk we looked at. I was just trying to figure out if there was any material difference between the S-Class and the full Solitudes. It sounds like the differneces are the appliances and the leveling system. Anything else we should be aware of?
    Your comparison question gets asked often, and it's mostly down to frills and fringes... No difference in frame, and standard running gear - the Solitude gives you routes for upgraded suspension. Wall construction is practically the same, except the exterior laminate on the S-Class is low-gloss and a little thinner (though maybe not true any longer) and no full body paint option on the S-Class. You can only get a standard pinbox on the S-Class (no big deal as you can bolt on whatever you prefer aftermarket). S-Class gets traditional framed windows, which open wide compared to Solitude frameless. The S-Class have electric jacks and slides versus the Solitude hydraulic. Water heater on the S-Class is supposed to be 10 gal versus Solitude 12 gal (ours came from factory with 12 gal). Fridge option are a little different - same types of option RV or residential - just different levels. You don't get the ottoman or flip up hidden compartment on the S-Class dresser. No whole-house water filtration on the S-Class, but you can add a superior aftermarket ClearSource setup that outclasses the filter holder of the Solitude anyway. Pull-out outside kitchen and the wall-mounted dining table are also not available on the S-Class. Beyond some other minor options, that'll cover it. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Your comparison question gets asked often, and it's mostly down to frills and fringes... No difference in frame, and standard running gear - the Solitude gives you routes for upgraded suspension. Wall construction is practically the same, except the exterior laminate on the S-Class is low-gloss and a little thinner (though maybe not true any longer) and no full body paint option on the S-Class. You can only get a standard pinbox on the S-Class (no big deal as you can bolt on whatever you prefer aftermarket). S-Class gets traditional framed windows, which open wide compared to Solitude frameless. The S-Class have electric jacks and slides versus the Solitude hydraulic. Water heater on the S-Class is supposed to be 10 gal versus Solitude 12 gal (ours came from factory with 12 gal). Fridge option are a little different - same types of option RV or residential - just different levels. You don't get the ottoman or flip up hidden compartment on the S-Class dresser. No whole-house water filtration on the S-Class, but you can add a superior aftermarket ClearSource setup that outclasses the filter holder of the Solitude anyway. Pull-out outside kitchen and the wall-mounted dining table are also not available on the S-Class. Beyond some other minor options, that'll cover it. LOL
    I like that the S-Class has traditional framed windows as they open up more than the frameless windows. I also like the electric leveling as it's one less fluid to maintain. The 2930rl only had 4 point leveling, which is a little dissapointing. It laso has a very small basement, but that doesn't concern me given we aren't full timers. The only missing features that I would have liked is the lack of the moryde rubber pinbox and the lower end range/oven. That new range in the full solitudes is nice. I'll add the moryde pinbox if I get one for sure. Other that those two small things, the 2930rl has loads of nice features that make it very nice for us.
    Jesse & Anita