User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning on an upgrade. sell or trade in?

We purchased a new 2018 Reflection 230RL and have used it gently since purchase. We're planning to spend more time on the road and feel its time to upgrade to a Solitude. Should I attempt to sell the Imagine 230RL on the open market or trade it in?
    It's been kept indoors and we've never had any issues with it.

What says the group?
    2022 Ford F350 4x4 King Ranch dually
    gasser with speed transmission
    3.55 gears and pulling a 337 RLS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 percent sell it yourself

Easily can mean 3-5 thousand dollars more for a little bit of work

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed that we're seeing more and more Imagine travel trailers both on the road and in our home campground all the time.

By all means, try to retail your unit. You'll always come out ahead of trading it into a dealer who's in it to make a second profit from the sale of a new unit.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends. If your state, like Florida, only charges sales tax on the difference if you trade, you need to factor additional sales tax you would pay if you sell outright.

Then also it gets complicated if there’s a loan on your existing trailer. If the buyer is paying cash your bank would need to be paid off before they release the title. A buyer would need to wire transfer funds to your bank before I would release the trailer. If they are financing then their bank and yours would deal with each other.

If you trade in then the dealership would take care of all paperwork and title transfer.

Right now with low inventories you may be surprised at what a dealer would offer. It costs nothing to check.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Sig View Post
    We purchased a new 2018 Reflection 230RL and have used it gently since purchase. We're planning to spend more time on the road and feel its time to upgrade to a Solitude. Should I attempt to sell the Imagine 230RL on the open market or trade it in?
    It's been kept indoors and we've never had any issues with it.

What says the group?
    When we sold our 2970RL in March of this year, we sold for it for a little over $10k more than our best offer as a trade in on a Solitude. I learned from that experience that the dealer margins are quite high and they buy their inventory for significantly less that what we pay. Hence the trade in value is less to them. As far as the paperwork goes, it was all handled via email, we weren't even in our home state. Best of luck to you, whichever way you go. Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always held the opinion it's better to sell outright than to trade in. I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I've always held the opinion it's better to sell outright than to trade in. I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary.
    I agree with this but one needs to keep in mind the difference in sales tax. I understand that this might vary based on where you live. Where I am, your taxed only on the difference. If your trade has a high value, thus makes a difference. If selling on your own, one needs to factor this in order to minimize lost.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I agree with this but one needs to keep in mind the difference in sales tax. I understand that this might vary based on where you live. Where I am, your taxed only on the difference. If your trade has a high value, thus makes a difference. If selling on your own, one needs to factor this in order to minimize lost.

In Missouri you only pay the difference between what you paid for your new unit, and what you received for your old one. Makes no difference if it's
    a private sale, or to a dealer.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    In Missouri you only pay the difference between what you paid for your new unit, and what you received for your old one. Makes no difference if it's
    a private sale, or to a dealer.
    But when buying the new truck you'll pay full taxes since there's no trade in.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you sold a vehicle privately to buy a new vehicle, the amount you got for the sold vehicle will be subtracted from the amount you paid for the new vehicle, thus lessening
    the amount of levied taxes.
    Howard and Peggy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast