Thanks

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowlthing View Post
    Any suggestions and wisdom are welcome.

Thanks
    It's the way of these things that you'll get so much different advice that you may not be much further ahead! Here's one opinion.

For the satellite service we bought the Dish Wally system. The equipment was REALLY inexpensive, and some nice options were available for it that were also inexpensive. We're part-timers using it for only months each year, so it was also great to be able to suspend Dish service and then start it up again with no penalty.

However when we were last using it, more than a year ago, Dish's offerings were getting pretty thin. I guessed that - at that time - they were in tough negotiations with some of the big networks and were dropping programming from them that they didn't want to pay for. There was less decent content and local content in the package we had, and more expensive add-ons that we didn't want to pick up.

For the antenna we bought the Winegard Carryout G2 (I believe the current model is now G3). It's an auto-seeking system that works on any one of three different systems, Dish, DirectTV, and Bell in Canada - nice to have the flexibility with carriers. It has been good, working well in all but the heaviest storms. We have not fixed it anywhere on our trailer because we frequently camp in places with trees or other obstructions, so we can move the antenna on it's 50-foot cable to the place on our site that gives us least-obstructed satellite views.

Hope this is useful. You'll get lots of other opinions. Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Dish Wally receiver/King Tailgater antenna setup and it works great. If you already have Dish Network service, it only costs $7 a month extra to add the Wally receiver.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 340RDS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Dish Wally receiver and KING DTP4900 DISH Tailgater Pro antenna mounted on the rooftop. If you decide to mount the antenna on the roof I recommend using the KING CE2000 Cable Entry Cover to cover the access hole and also the KING MB700 Quick Release Roof Mount Kit to allow the antenna to be easily removed if needed/desired.

As Barry K said it only costs me $7 month additional for the Wally receiver on top of my existing Dish account. We have been very pleased with this setup and enjoy having the same service at home and the RV. One very nice feature of this setup is you can rent movies from Dish and enjoy them without worrying about Internet bandwidth since everything is done via Dish.

We originally went with two Wally receivers but quickly decided it wasn't worth the hassle unless you go to a larger and much more expensive antenna. The Tailgater Pro has dual outputs so it can feed a second Wally, but the channel selections are limited due to the antenna size and satellite coverage. With two receivers some channels are not available on one Wally when watching a different channel on the other Wally, so it resulted in a complicated coordination of who was watching what channel. Since there are only two of us I dropped the second receiver and just use an HDMI repeater to feed the second TV. We never use the outside TV or one in the garage, but if we did I would just go to more repeaters.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As recommended by others, Dish with a Wally (which can have a hard drive added for DVR functions) is a great way to go. The Winegard Pathway X2 is Dish's best portable automatic antenna. It can receive both the eastern and western satellite arcs (locals anywhere in the country) and has the largest reflector for the strongest signals. We are full-timers and have been very happy with this combo - along with a Dish Outdoor account - for 5-1/2 years, now.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing to consider is if you even want satellite. We are starting to spend more time working from the RV, so we need decent internet. My preference is to spend the money on good internet service and stream my TV content.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKilmer View Post
    I have the Dish Wally receiver and KING DTP4900 DISH Tailgater Pro antenna mounted on the rooftop. If you decide to mount the antenna on the roof I recommend using the KING CE2000 Cable Entry Cover to cover the access hole and also the KING MB700 Quick Release Roof Mount Kit to allow the antenna to be easily removed if needed/desired.

As Barry K said it only costs me $7 month additional for the Wally receiver on top of my existing Dish account. We have been very pleased with this setup and enjoy having the same service at home and the RV. One very nice feature of this setup is you can rent movies from Dish and enjoy them without worrying about Internet bandwidth since everything is done via Dish.

We originally went with two Wally receivers but quickly decided it wasn't worth the hassle unless you go to a larger and much more expensive antenna. The Tailgater Pro has dual outputs so it can feed a second Wally, but the channel selections are limited due to the antenna size and satellite coverage. With two receivers some channels are not available on one Wally when watching a different channel on the other Wally, so it resulted in a complicated coordination of who was watching what channel. Since there are only two of us I dropped the second receiver and just use an HDMI repeater to feed the second TV. We never use the outside TV or one in the garage, but if we did I would just go to more repeaters.
    Which HDMI repeater did you pick up? How's the picture and did you notice any latency in audio vs picture?

I tried the second receiver off the same antenna as well and thought it was less than ideal! It would have been ok if they limited the guide on the secondary receiver to only the channels that were available from the satellite that the master receiver was looking at. Since they didn't, it's really a pain trying to figure out not only what satellite the main receiver is looking at but also the channels that are associated with that satellite. I started building a spreadsheet but decided it's just not worth the effort...
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 340RDS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW Limited

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased the Winegard Trav’ler and 3 Wally’s and couldn’t be happier with it. As others stated as a current Dish subscriber it’s $7 month per receiver and can be suspended as needed.
    Scott & Linda
    2022 390RK-R
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited DRW HO Cummins LB
    B&W Companion 3600 RVK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dish is my provider, my hardware is a Wally and a Pathfinder (Winegard). I like the flexible plans from Dish and the ease of changing location on a smartphone app.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Eagle dish put on my roof of our Solitude. KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast