Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What could this hurt?

So I'm getting a new 2500RL and been thinking of replacing the Acid Battery with a Lithium 100 Amp, but NOT replace the charger or connection wiring.
    I would for now just keep it as is.

Now I know that the Lithium Battery will not get completely 100% charged BUT I'm told it could get 85% charged on the standard charger.
    Which would still be much better than what a normal acid battery can achieve at just 85%.

I'm NOT handy with electronics to install a new Inverter and Monitor, BUT I would be happy with a Lithium Battery that was charged up to 85%.
    What say you? What could this hurt?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    So I'm getting a new 2500RL and been thinking of replacing the Acid Battery with a Lithium 100 Amp, but NOT replace the charger or connection wiring.

Now I know that the Lithium Battery will not get completely 100% charged BUT I'm told it could get 85% charged on the standard charger.
    Which would still be much better than what a normal acid battery can achieve at just 85%.

I'm NOT handy with electronics to install a new Inverter and Monitor, BUT I would be happy with a Lithium Battery that was charged up to 85%.
    According to my husband, who knows a thing or two about such stuff, that's fine. You may eventually want to have the converter replaced, it's not expensive.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my understanding, it will charge a lot slower with the standard convertor due to the LA profile it is using. A lithium charger keeps a consistant high voltage right up to the end.

As was said, they are cheap and easy to install. Would be worthwhile even if you paid to have it done.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long would it take a Inverter Generator to fully charge a 100 Amp Lithium Battery? Or shore power? Regardless of time for charging would the standard acid charger allow the Lithium to get to 100% ?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long would it take a Inverter Generator to fully charge a 100 Amp Lithium Battery? Or shore power? Regardless of time for charging would the standard acid charger allow the Lithium to get to 100% ?
    The way I understand it, no. The standard charger reduces voltage a time goes by. So it will never get past 85%. This is the same reason it will charge slower.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BMS on a lithium battery is what determines the charging voltage. It “lies” to the converter to make it think it needs to keep charging. IMO, the idea that there is a special lithium converter is bogus, because there is no standard for how the BMS works.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think a standard converter could get a Lithium Battery up to 85% charged?
    I know the thinking is since a standard acid battery converter sees a Lithium Battery as always being 100% charged (even when its not due to its 100% continuous output).... so it doesn't see a need to add a charging load to the Lithium.
    What are your thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are dry camping, does the Lithium Battery also run both your AC and DC power needs for your trailer?
    I'm under the impression that a Acid Battery only runs your DC power.

And yes I'm a "big time Newbie" on this whole trailer thing.
    So thanks to all of you for your help on these questions.
    I am suppose to get out 2500RL at the end of March.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are dry camping, does the Lithium Battery also run both your AC and DC power needs for your trailer?
    I'm under the impression that a Acid Battery only runs your DC power.

And yes I'm a "big time Newbie" on this whole trailer thing.
    So thanks to all of you for your help on these questions.
    I am suppose to get out 2500RL at the end of March.
    You can’t make general statements about lithium batteries because there is no standardization. What works for one may not work for others. Most are 3.6V per cell yielding 14.4V OCV, so unless your converter provides a higher voltage they may not get fully charged.

You can install an inverter to provide some AC power, but regardless of battery type it takes a significant bank of batteries to supply much power. You still need a source of power to recharge batteries daily, so you’ll have to have a generator or solar panels to dry camp for longer periods. Air conditioning is a major challenge and is generally not practical.

My advice is to figure out your rig while you have shore power available, then you’ll know what equipment you’ll want to run when dry camping and can design your off-grid power system to match your needs.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 03-01-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to start reading and educating yourself of electrical power or your spend mire than you have too or potentially mismatch components. Plus added you be able to trouble shoot effectively with knowledge , and that will come in handy and again prevent you from being taken advantage of or be able to fix something simple.

It’s not rocket science and easy to read .

To answer your question in general terms, there are some components of the trailer which are 110 ( shorepower) and others which are DV ( 12 volt) . You can read your manuals to figure which appliances are which.

To run 12 volt you need sufficient battery capacity. Much less if you are hooked to shorepower as it’s recharging the battery as you are removing the power. Batteries are charged by 1- a very cheap suspect converter supplied by GD, though shore power , 2 - solar panels, 3- generator ( external or built in ) . Also a little by your truck through the 7 pin but not enough to count usually.

Batteries are something you should read on and their care and upkeep. There are a few kinds of lead. And then lithium . Read , read read on this as you can spend many thousands and mismatch charging and destroy them . Remember I said you converter is cheap and really ineffective. In lead batteries you MUST have a three stage charger or risk burning them up. Read read read. Get a real charger. Get a good one, it’s worth it.

So to the guts of your question you can run everything off your batteries save the air conditioner, even if it has a plug. DC battery power can be converted to AC 110 power through an inverter. You can buy a simple inverter with a 110 outlet or you can make every outlet on your trailer capable of running off the batteries with a robust converter.

So we have an interesting charger/ inverter. It automatically switches EVERY outlet from AC to the batter generated AC. It’s a 3000 watt inverter . All you equipment has watt info. You can’t go over the 3000 but quite frankly that would take a lot as we have a lot. That same inverter charger is a robust 120 amp 4 stage charger. It charges our batteries very quickly . And like I mentioned has an automatic transfer switch as opposed to doing it manually. It also has some other cool features. Price $1200. As cheap as the components bought individually. Maker : Victron . A well know great company. I have a 35 ft sailboat also and use the same company as do many boater ( Victron) . You get what you pay for so don’t cheap out here.

To use this kind of inverter / charger you need sufficient battery power. That’s an investment too. But really get educated here. Lithium is very expensive. There are cheap knock of Costco’s or Chinese but they have issues . Again you get what you put sy for. Go for a reliable company. Personally I don’t have lithium. Not against it I just like what we use. Firefly Oasis Carbon Foam AGM which has all the best properties of Lithium ( except the weight) and they cost 1/2 as much. I’m not against the good lithium, but at $1000 a piece and you’ll need at least 2 that’s a chunk.

Lastly solar is in your future. It’s a good way to renew your batteries but I’ve given you enough.

Read, read , read. You can’t find all the parameters on here with just questions., Feel free to PM me with any issues or questions.

Good luck with the 2500rl we are happy with ours
    Read, read, read

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast