User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What could this hurt?

So I'm getting a new 2500RL and been thinking of replacing the Acid Battery with a Lithium 100 Amp, but NOT replace the charger or connection wiring.
    I would for now just keep it as is.

Now I know that the Lithium Battery will not get completely 100% charged BUT I'm told it could get 85% charged on the standard charger.
    Which would still be much better than what a normal acid battery can achieve at just 85%.

I'm NOT handy with electronics to install a new Inverter and Monitor, BUT I would be happy with a Lithium Battery that was charged up to 85%.
    What say you? What could this hurt?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    So I'm getting a new 2500RL and been thinking of replacing the Acid Battery with a Lithium 100 Amp, but NOT replace the charger or connection wiring.

Now I know that the Lithium Battery will not get completely 100% charged BUT I'm told it could get 85% charged on the standard charger.
    Which would still be much better than what a normal acid battery can achieve at just 85%.

I'm NOT handy with electronics to install a new Inverter and Monitor, BUT I would be happy with a Lithium Battery that was charged up to 85%.
    According to my husband, who knows a thing or two about such stuff, that's fine. You may eventually want to have the converter replaced, it's not expensive.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my understanding, it will charge a lot slower with the standard convertor due to the LA profile it is using. A lithium charger keeps a consistant high voltage right up to the end.

As was said, they are cheap and easy to install. Would be worthwhile even if you paid to have it done.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long would it take a Inverter Generator to fully charge a 100 Amp Lithium Battery? Or shore power? Regardless of time for charging would the standard acid charger allow the Lithium to get to 100% ?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BMS on a lithium battery is what determines the charging voltage. It “lies” to the converter to make it think it needs to keep charging. IMO, the idea that there is a special lithium converter is bogus, because there is no standard for how the BMS works.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think a standard converter could get a Lithium Battery up to 85% charged?
    I know the thinking is since a standard acid battery converter sees a Lithium Battery as always being 100% charged (even when its not due to its 100% continuous output).... so it doesn't see a need to add a charging load to the Lithium.
    What are your thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are dry camping, does the Lithium Battery also run both your AC and DC power needs for your trailer?
    I'm under the impression that a Acid Battery only runs your DC power.

And yes I'm a "big time Newbie" on this whole trailer thing.
    So thanks to all of you for your help on these questions.
    I am suppose to get out 2500RL at the end of March.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are dry camping, does the Lithium Battery also run both your AC and DC power needs for your trailer?
    I'm under the impression that a Acid Battery only runs your DC power.

And yes I'm a "big time Newbie" on this whole trailer thing.
    So thanks to all of you for your help on these questions.
    I am suppose to get out 2500RL at the end of March.
    You can’t make general statements about lithium batteries because there is no standardization. What works for one may not work for others. Most are 3.6V per cell yielding 14.4V OCV, so unless your converter provides a higher voltage they may not get fully charged.

You can install an inverter to provide some AC power, but regardless of battery type it takes a significant bank of batteries to supply much power. You still need a source of power to recharge batteries daily, so you’ll have to have a generator or solar panels to dry camp for longer periods. Air conditioning is a major challenge and is generally not practical.

My advice is to figure out your rig while you have shore power available, then you’ll know what equipment you’ll want to run when dry camping and can design your off-grid power system to match your needs.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 03-01-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long would it take a Inverter Generator to fully charge a 100 Amp Lithium Battery? Or shore power? Regardless of time for charging would the standard acid charger allow the Lithium to get to 100% ?
    The way I understand it, no. The standard charger reduces voltage a time goes by. So it will never get past 85%. This is the same reason it will charge slower.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The BMS on a lithium battery is what determines the charging voltage. It “lies” to the converter to make it think it needs to keep charging. IMO, the idea that there is a special lithium converter is bogus, because there is no standard for how the BMS works.
    I'd love to see some references on this.

My charger is very simple it outputs 14.6VDC constantly and forever. Everything else is up to the BMS.

My understanding is that standard converters output 13.6VDC max. LFP reaches that voltage at a low state of charge so they will never reach their 14.4VDC full state. Check your specific batteries for their charge curve. There are other complexities like equalization that can make things worse. This is the best article I've found on the topic.
    https://glider-battery.eu/post4-1/
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast